• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Winner of the 2017 IACP Award: Literary or Historical Food Writing, Matt Goulding's "Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain's Food Culture" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Don't think it contains recipes...more of a culinary travel guide.

A bit of information.  I bought this book when it was on sale some time back. I read it for a bit and gave up on it. I don't speak Spanish and all of the food was referred to ONLY in Spanish. If you speak and read Spanish you should be okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

From an afternoon email from TASTE, and other finds...

Finalist for the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Awards for "Vegetable-Focused Cooking" category, Deborah Madison's "In My Kitchen: A Collection of New and Favorite Vegetarian Recipes [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I believe this has been posed before...
"Fondue: [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This has been posed before...slightly more expensive:
Peter Reinhart's "Perfect Pan Pizza: Square Pies to Make at Home, from Roman, Sicilian, and Detroit, to Grandma Pies and Focaccia [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Lucinda Scala Quinn's "Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Fish Market: A Cookbook for Selecting and Preparing Seafood" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

This morning, I picked up a couple of Kindle version of books I've previously borrowed from the library and liked.  Both have been mentioned before in this thread, sometimes priced a little higher.

Cathy Barrow's Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet & Savory Slab Pies is priced @ 2.99.  All these recipes are designed to be made in a quarter sheet pan and the recipes are pretty much evenly split between sweet and savory pies. On Amazon, this is marked as a limited time deal.  Not sure what that means.  This one is also $2.99 on Amazon.ca.  Sadly, the others listed below are not.

Melissa Clark's Comfort in an Instant: 75 Comfort Food Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker, and InstantPot®: A Cookbook is currently $2.99.   A good Instant Pot cookbook.  

Some recent chatter here about donabe prompted me to pick up Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking by Naoko Takei Moore and Kyle Connaughton for $2.99. I know nothing about this book but I figured I'm bound to learn something as I know nothing about the subject either. 

The Kindle version of David Lebovitz's L'Appart: The Delights and Disasters of Making My Paris Home is currently $4.99.  Not exactly crazy bargain territory but I've been wanting to read it so I may cave anyway.  Eat Your Books shows 27 recipes in this one. I'd buy it mostly to read. 

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This morning, I picked up a couple of Kindle version of books I've previously borrowed from the library and liked.  Both have been mentioned before in this thread, sometimes priced a little higher.

Cathy Barrow's Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet & Savory Slab Pies is priced @ 2.99.  All these recipes are designed to be made in a quarter sheet pan and the recipes are pretty much evenly split between sweet and savory pies. On Amazon, this is marked as a limited time deal.  Not sure what that means.  This one is also $2.99 on Amazon.ca.  Sadly, the others listed below are not.

Melissa Clark's Comfort in an Instant: 75 Comfort Food Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker, and InstantPot®: A Cookbook is currently $2.99.   A good Instant Pot cookbook.  

Some recent chatter here about donabe prompted me to pick up Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking by Naoko Takei Moore and Kyle Connaughton for $2.99. I know nothing about this book but I figured I'm bound to learn something as I know nothing about the subject either. 

The Kindle version of David Lebovitz's L'Appart: The Delights and Disasters of Making My Paris Home is currently $4.99.  Not exactly crazy bargain territory but I've been wanting to read it so I may cave anyway.  Eat Your Books shows 27 recipes in this one. I'd buy it mostly to read. 

I'm saved from the Moore and Connaughton book because amazon informs me I already own it.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I bought the Kindle version of Payard Cookies by François Payard and E. McBride yesterday for $1.99.  I wanted the canele recipe.

Thanks!  I bought it today.

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, I know I'm in Canada.  $16.84 is the price shown on Amazon.com.  it is $18.99 on Amazon.ca

How strange! It's $3.99 for me. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

34 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, I know I'm in Canada.  $16.84 is the price shown on Amazon.com.  it is $18.99 on Amazon.ca

I think Jeff knows you are in Canada and whether you've been naughty or nice.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kayb said:

Well, when I bought it this morning, it was $3.99. I'm a Prime member, if that matters.

Still shows as $3.99 for me.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Still shows as $3.99 for me.

I am a Canadian Prime member.  Maybe it was only offered to Prime members on Amazon.com and my Cdn. Prime membership doesn't count on .com?  Maybe a non-prime member could check Amazon.com and see what they get?

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I am a Canadian Prime member.  Maybe it was only offered to Prime members on Amazon.com and my Cdn. Prime membership doesn't count on .com?  Maybe a non-prime member could check Amazon.com and see what they get?

Like you I am a .ca prime member but not a .com prime member so I see what you see. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just an FYI...

It's a new month/year and new cookbooks are on sale at Amazon. That being said, the overwhelming theme of the current cookbooks on sale are diet cookbooks, which is why I haven't posted anything from the current crop of sale-priced e-cookbooks.

Feel free to peruse the offerings on your own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

41 minutes ago, Toliver said:

<snip>...the overwhelming theme of the current cookbooks on sale are diet cookbooks, which is why I haven't posted anything from the current crop of sale-priced e-cookbooks.

Capitalizing on New Year' resolutions, perhaps? xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 1/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, ElsieD said:

I am a Canadian Amazon (not Prime) member, in Canada, and I can see the $3.99 price.  JoNorvelleWalker is correct, Amazon ca/com knows where you are, and displays prices accordingly, no matter if you are on the .ca or the .com site.

Long story, but my particular account has a very weird state, that allows me to see the US Kindle prices, and purchase said items at those prices.  I'm not entirely sure of the reasons why that is, but I'm not going to complain....

We've discussed this before, and I believe the consensus is book licensing in each country is different, so physical location (or at least where Amazon thinks you are) is paramount.

• Like 2