• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Perhaps it's just the time of year that is causing so many slow-cooker-type cookbooks to go on sale:

This looks Kindle-Single-ish but it has 500 recipes and is mostly well-reviewed.
"Slow Cooker Cookbook: 500 Recipes for Everyday Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

From the founder of the Eat at Home website, "Eat at Home Tonight: 101 Simple Busy-Family Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, Sheet Pan, Instant Pot®, and More: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Slightly more expensive:
The Hummingbird Bakery's "The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to make every day special" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Uses both Metric and Imperial measurements.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 11/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, Toliver said:

Definitely a Kindle single (only 45 recipes)...

"Heritage Baking: Recipes for Rustic Breads and Pastries Baked with Artisanal Flour" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

This is definitely NOT a Kindle Single. The hardback version was at my local indie bookstore a few months back.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Slim pickings...

"Peter Callahan's Party Food: Mini Hors d'oeuvres, Family-Style Settings, Plated Dishes, Buffet Spreads, Bar Carts: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Deliciously Easy Cupcake Cookbook: 75 Simple & Tasty Treats for Any Occasion" Kindle Edition $.99US

Note this cookbook uses adult language.
"Thug Kitchen Party Grub: For Social Motherf*ckers: A Cookbook (Thug Kitchen Cookbooks)" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a chapter's listing of recipes and some of the recipes

Tim Oliver

On 11/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, Toliver said:

On 11/9/2019 at 9:11 AM, MelissaH said:

This is definitely NOT a Kindle Single. The hardback version was at my local indie bookstore a few months back.

This one is still $2.99 on Amazon.com and $2.51 on Amazon.ca.  As @MelissaH pointed out, it's not a Kindle single, it's the full version of the book.  You can check out a review of it and a sample recipe over here at EYB.

• Like 1

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Searing Inspiration: Fast, Adaptable Entrées and Fresh Pan Sauces" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Found this afternoon...some may have been posted before:

"Moosewood Restaurant New Classics: 350 Recipes for Homestyle Favorites and Everyday Feasts: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, then scroll down to read some of the recipes.

Hugh Acheson's "The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature and scroll down to read some of the recipes. 

Betty Rosbottom's "Sunday Roasts: A Year's Worth of Mouthwatering Roasts, from Old-Fashioned Pot Roasts to Glorious Turkeys, and Legs of Lamb" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, then scroll down to read some of the recipes.

"Canal House Cooking Volume N° 1: Summer" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"Canal House Cooking Volume N° 2: Fall & Holiday" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Magical Slow Cooker: Recipes for Busy Moms" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "look Inside" feature and scroll down to read some of the recipes. 

"English Puddings: Sweet & Savoury" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Uses metric weights.

No recipes...it's food history.

IACP Award winner for Culinary History, Dave DeWitt's "Precious Cargo: How Foods From the Americas Changed The World" Kindle Edition #2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle edition of The Modern Cook's Year: More than 250 Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes to See You Through the Seasons by Anna Jones is currently $3.99 on Amazon.com.  Sadly, not on Amazon.ca. 

I have the hard copy version of this book and it's excellent. 

Thanks.  It looked good to me and I have a grapefruit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The Kindle edition of Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit by Lisa Ludwinski is currently $1.99 on Amazon.com (sadly not on Amazon.ca)

I have the hard copy of this book and it's quite good.  It's not just pie. There are some interesting shortbread cookies (I've made all 6 of those recipes), a number of savory hand pies and nice salads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle edition of Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit by Lisa Ludwinski is currently $1.99 on Amazon.com (sadly not on Amazon.ca)

I have the hard copy of this book and it's quite good.  It's not just pie. There are some interesting shortbread cookies (I've made all 6 of those recipes), a number of savory hand pies and nice salads. 

Thanks for that! I borrowed the book from the library last fall, liked it very much but never had time to cook from it. It'll be nice to have a mobile copy, now that I'm on the road and running at a somewhat slower pace.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

An interesting mix of bargain-priced cookbooks today...

"Betty Crocker The Big Book of Pies and Tarts (Betty Crocker Big Book)" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see pastry recipes and scroll further down for a list of the fruit pies in the cookbook.    

From the Amazon info page for this cookbook:
Fifty-seven mouthwatering soup and stew recipes from the award-winning New England food writer and author of Lobster!
"Chowderland: Hearty Soups & Stews with Sides & Salads to Match" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

Slightly more expensive...
A collection of globe-spanning recipes from the chef and restaurateur Anita Lo "Cooking Without Borders" Kindle Edition $3.99US
No list of recipes but you can use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Huh. I too am a Prime member, but the Betty Crocker book comes up as $9.99 for me in Kindle. Saved me some temptation, anyway. 

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

50 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Huh. I too am a Prime member, but the Betty Crocker book comes up as $9.99 for me in Kindle. Saved me some temptation, anyway. 

It was a BookBub email item and I did confirm when I posted them that the sale price was correct. I guess it was short-lived, as well. Sorry!

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

It was a BookBub email item and I did confirm when I posted them that the sale price was correct. I guess it was short-lived, as well. Sorry!

Well, I hardly needed it, given my recent acquisition of Sister Pie :D !

• Like 2

The first cookbook is from my BookBub email this morning. The other two are finds from this afternoon:

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Rose's Baking Basics: 100 Essential Recipes, with More Than 600 Step-by-Step Photos" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There's a recipe from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page for Apple Walnut Bundt Cake from Rose’s Baking Basics.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

"From Freezer to Table: 75+ Simple, Whole Foods Recipes for Gathering, Cooking, and Sharing: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Slightly more expensive...From Britain's Bakery of the same name:
"The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home: 100 new recipes for baking brilliance" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list recipes then scroll down to see some recipes.

Uses weights in the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Heading into the weekend, some finds:

"Canal House Cooking Volume N° 7: La Dolce Vita" Kindle Edition $1.99US
From the Amazon Info page:
This volume celebrates the bounty of fall and the festive holiday season with delicious Italian dishes, some classic, some reinterpreted Canal House style.

"Canal House Cooking Volume N° 3: Winter & Spring" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"A Canal House Cooking Volumes 4–6: Farm Markets and Gardens, The Good Life, and The Grocery Store" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

"South Wind Through the Kitchen: The Best of Elizabeth David" Kindle Edition $2.99US
From the Amazon Info page:
A posthumous collection of recipes and articles—recommended by her friends and fans—from “the best food writer of her time” (Jane Grigson, The Times Literary Supplement).

Elisabeth Luard's "Tapas: Classic Small Dishes from Spain" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

This cookbook may have been previously posted in the past:

Jane Grigson's "Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

One BookBub cookbook and the others are finds this afternoon:

A Gourmand Award winner for Best Foreign-International Cuisine,  Ruth van Waerebeek's "The Taste of Belgium" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Quintessential Cast Iron Cookbook: 100 One-Pan Recipes to Make the Most of Your Skillet" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the Amazon info page for this cookbook:
From Margaritas to Tropical Coffee Cake to Snapper Rangoon—more than 200 Florida Keys culinary delights from the James Beard Award winner,Linda Gassenheimer's "The Flavors of the Florida Keys" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

This is from my morning BookBub email:

"Modern Pasta Sauces: Delicious and Creative Twists on Your Favorite Classic Recipes" Kindle Edition $.99US
Note that this cookbook is currently unrated.
On the Amazon info page for this cookbook is a sample recipe from the cookbook titled "PRESTO! KALE PISTACHIO PESTO".

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

A new month, new cookbooks on sale.

I did not list all of the Christmas cooking/baking-themed cookbooks that are on sale. 

From the San Francisco restaurant American Grilled Cheese Kitchen,"Grilled Cheese Kitchen: Bread + Cheese + Everything in Between" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the author of The Nourished Kitchen, Jennifer McGruther's "Broth and Stock from the Nourished Kitchen: Wholesome Master Recipes for Bone, Vegetable, and Seafood Broths and Meals to Make with Them [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, 17th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Winner of the 2017 IACP Award: Literary or Historical Food Writing, Matt Goulding's "Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain's Food Culture" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Don't think it contains recipes...more of a culinary travel guide.

"Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook: Easy Appetizers • Festive Cocktails • Make-Ahead Brunches • Christmas Dinners • Food Gifts" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Better Homes and Gardens Baking: More than 350 Recipes Plus Tips and Techniques (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Betty Crocker Cookies: Irresistibly Easy Recipes for Any Occasion (Betty Crocker Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Betty Crocker Christmas Cookies (Betty Crocker Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Instagrammer Dennis Prescott's "Eat Delicious: 125 Recipes for Your Daily Dose of Awesome" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Fresh Flavors for the Slow Cooker: Reinvent the Slow-Cooked Meal; 77 Mouthwatering Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

With a foreward by Michael Ruhlman, "The Fat Kitchen: How to Render, Cure & Cook with Lard, Tallow & Poultry Fat" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever with More Than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.51US

Hisako Ogita's "I Love Macarons" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"500 Treasured Country Recipes from Martha Storey and Friends: Mouthwatering, Time-Honored, Tried-And-True, Handed-Down, Soul-Satisfying Dishes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of what's covered in the chapters.

"Brittles, Barks, and Bonbons: Delicious Recipes for Quick and Easy Candy" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Revised & Updated: 700 Great Slow Cooker Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

eG member Marlena Spieler's "Macaroni & Cheese" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Cookie Classics Made Easy: One-Bowl Recipes, Perfect Results" Kindle Edition $.99US

Matt Pellegrini 's "The Art of Baking Bread: What You Really Need to Know to Make Great Bread" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive...
Gabriela Camara & Malena Watrous' "My Mexico City Kitchen: Recipes and Convictions [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver