• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

I was notified of a Daily Kindle Deal....here's the ecookbook from the group that was on sale:

Just in time for Autumn and Winter...

"Braises and Stews: Everyday Slow-Cooked Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. 

Edited to add one more slightly more expensive:

"Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US
From the Amazon info page for this ecookbook:

"PUBLISHERS WEEKLY NATIONAL BESTSELLER • GOOP COOKBOOK CLUB PICK • A modern approach to cooking at home, with more than 70 innately flexible recipes.""

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver
added another book (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon's finds:

A collection of her essays...
M. F. K. Fisher's "Love in a Dish" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This has been previously posted...posting it again in case anyone missed it the first time through:
M. F. K. Fisher's "Consider the Oyster" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Posting this slightly more expensive non-food related book so I can post her cookbook below:
"The Art of Tasha Tudor: A Retrospective" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"The Tasha Tudor Family Cookbook: Heirloom Recipes and Warm Memories from Corgi Cottage" Kindle Edition $2.51US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Written by her grandson it's a collection of Tasha's "receipts".

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon:

Anthony Bourdain 's "Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook (P.S.)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly pricier but it's eG member Chef Grant Achatz's "Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat" Kindle Edition $4.99US

"Better Homes and Gardens Wonder Pot: One-Pot Meals from Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens, Skillets, and Casseroles" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Intended for a "slow cooker, pressure cooker, skillet, or other common piece of kitchen equipment". 
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to read some of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

A mostly international flavor for this afternoon's finds:

Maui native and food blogger Alana Kysar 's "Aloha Kitchen: Recipes from Hawai'i [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Austrian pastry master Toni Mörwald, and award-winning restaurant critic Christoph Wagner's "Austrian Desserts: More Than 400 Recipes for Cakes, Pastries, Strudels, Tortes, and Candies" Kindle Edition $2.51US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.
Contains Imperial and Metric (weights) measures.

Chef and restauranteur Hans Röckenwagner's "Das Cookbook: German Cooking . . . California Style" Kindle Edition $2.99US
A modern German-Californian cookbook.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

From the award-winning food writer and author of Good Things "The Best of Jane Grigson: The Enjoyment of Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the subject of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

"Korean Cookbook: 100+ Authentic Korean Dishes to Cook at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

And not international at all:

"The Cash and Carter Family Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from Johnny and June's Table" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I have cooked a bit from Season and enjoyed it. It reminds me of @Suvir Saran's American Masala in that both feature many Western recipes, given a twist with Indian flavors. 

I've been reading Season from the library.  It is definitively worth a purchase.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From today's BookBub email:

Chef and author Joanne Chang, the first cookbook from her acclaimed Boston restaurant, Myers+Chang "Myers+Chang at Home: Recipes from the Beloved Boston Eatery" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive:
Co-owner of Los Angeles hotspot République, Margarita Manzke's "Baking at République: Masterful Techniques and Recipes" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of Master Doughs and what to make with them, then scroll down to see recipes.
Shows both weights & measurements in the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Quite a mix this afternoon:

Originally published in 1971, Jane Grigson's "Good Things" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Celebrating British ingredients.

James Beard Award winners Christopher Hirsheimer & Melissa Hamilton's "Buon Appetito: A Taste of Italy (Canal House Cooking Book 9)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Very much a Kindle single with just 23 recipes. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the short list of recipes.

L&L Hawaiian Barbecue is a restaurant chain serving hawaiian food.
"$266 Million Winning Lottery Recipes: L&L Hawaiian Barbecue Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of Hawaiian recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

From the Virginia bakery by the same name...
"Red Truck Bakery Cookbook: Gold-Standard Recipes from America's Favorite Rural Bakery" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to scroll down to the first chapter to see the list of recipes for that chapter and also see a part of one recipe.

Slightly more expensive:
85 recipes and 100 photographs - 
"Food of the Italian South: Recipes for Classic, Disappearing, and Lost Dishes: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Slightly more expensive:
From the James Beard Award–nominated author of "Opera Lover’s Cookbook" (Publishers Weekly), Francine Segan's "Dolci: Italy's Sweets" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Even more slightly expensive but it's Ricky Bragg with stories and recipes...
Pulitzer Prize-winner Rick Bragg’s "The Best Cook in the World: Tales from My Momma's Table" Kindle Edition $4.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (one per chapter).

Tim Oliver

This afternoon's slim pickin's:

From this cookbook's Amazon info page:

"Hollis Wilder, the first three-time champion of Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, takes the traditional sweet cupcake in a new direction, with fresh flavors and a new savory look."
"Savory Bites: Meals You Can Make in Your Cupcake Pan" Kindle Edition $2.51US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the start of Chapter One and its recipes.

Slightly more expensive:

Award-winning pastry chef at New York City's renowned Chanterelle restaurant, Kate Zuckerman's "The Sweet Life: Desserts from Chanterelle" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the start of Chapter One and its recipes.

Tim Oliver

On 10/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, Toliver said:

From the Virginia bakery by the same name...
"Red Truck Bakery Cookbook: Gold-Standard Recipes from America's Favorite Rural Bakery" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to scroll down to the first chapter to see the list of recipes for that chapter and also see a part of one recipe.

This is quite a nice book.  The Red Truck Bakery is near "back home" for me and their baking is good enough for me to have sought out a hard copy of this book.  Baking from the recipes in the book has not disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few finds from this morning's BookBub email:

Carroll Pellegrinelli's "Starter Sourdough: The Step-by-Step Guide to Sourdough Starters, Baking Loaves, Baguettes, Pancakes, and More" Kindle Edition $.99US

Elana Karp & Suzanne Dumaine's "Plated: Weeknight Dinners, Weekend Feasts, and Everything in Between: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Slightly more expensive:
"Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"Mary Berry's Christmas Collection" Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

The Kindle version of Odette William's book Simple Cake has been at $2.99 for a while on amazon.com (sadly, not on amazon.ca) 

The recipes are indeed simple although she gives a lot of variations for most of the recipes. 

It's been the book of the month for the Food52 baking cookbook club and has been very well received.  I made the Cinnamon Spice Cake (posted over here) and was very pleased with the result. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Two this morning:

"Ramen Obsession: The Ultimate Bible for Mastering Japanese Ramen" Kindle Edition $.99US

International recipes to bring everyone together...
Lisa Soldo-Johnson's "It Begins at the Table: 140 recipes to inspire love for every nation, tribe, and tongue [Print Replica]" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to the first chapter's listing of recipes.

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Ramen Obsession: The Ultimate Bible for Mastering Japanese Ramen" Kindle Edition $.99US

How can one pass up another ramen book?  Particularly what looks like a comprehensive and well written ramen book.  And when one has a $1.00 Kindle credit.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Diana Henry's recent (published in 2018)  book How to Eat a Peach is available on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca for $1.99

I've been reading Diana Henry's From the Oven to the Table:  Cauliflower meets the Saxons.  Be afraid; be very afraid.  Hide the children and the kale and go watch a Godzilla movie.

• Haha 2

From this morning's BookBub email:

I was concerned because there weren't any reviews of this book. However, after checking out the paperback version, it won't be released until November 5th. The ebook is just being released earlier.

The author is a pastry chef and a brewer...the connection between the two is yeast. 

Harmony Sage's "Yeast Fermentation Handbook: Essential Guide and Recipes for Beer and Bread Makers" Kindle Edition $.99US

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

I was concerned because there weren't any reviews of this book. However, after checking out the paperback version, it won't be released until November 5th. The ebook is just being released earlier.

The author is a pastry chef and a brewer...the connection between the two is yeast. 

Harmony Sage's "Yeast Fermentation Handbook: Essential Guide and Recipes for Beer and Bread Makers" Kindle Edition $.99US

Why not?  Yesterday I bought another pound of yeast.

• Like 1

From this morning's BookBub email and other finds:

"The Staub Cookbook: Modern Recipes for Classic Cast Iron" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see one of the chapter's list of recipes.

From the Amazon info page for this book:
"...a record of a gastronomic adventure with illustrations and recipes—a fascinating collection of the most exciting, instructive, poignant, and just plain weird experiences on a trip into the world of the most beloved and feared of all seafoods."
Robb Walsh's "Sex, Death & Oysters: A Half-Shell Lover's World Tour" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Slightly more expensive...
"Food52 Genius Desserts: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Bake [A Baking Book] (Food52 Works)" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes and scroll down to read some of the recipes.

Tim Oliver

"Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and the Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Contains 120 recipes according to the Amazon info page for this cookbook.

Slightly more expensive...
Season 1 Champion of the TV show Top Chef, "Harold Dieterle's Kitchen Notebook: Hundreds of Recipes, Tips, and Techniques for Cooking Like a Chef at Home" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and the Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Contains 120 recipes according to the Amazon info page for this cookbook.

I distrust Rodale.  I've been burned.  Doubtless the recipes are healthful.  Palatable is another question.

• Like 1

A new month brings new sale items...a lot of them:

I think this has been posted before but it Jacques so here it is again.

Jacques Pépin and his granddaughter Shorey's "A Grandfather's Lessons: In the Kitchen with Shorey" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This has been posted before but it's Rancho Gordo so posting it again...

"Heirloom Beans: Recipes from Rancho Gordo" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Soup Book: 200 Recipes, Season by Season" Kindle Edition $2.99US
This cookbook has not been reviewed yet.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to read some of the recipes. Note the measurements are both metric and Imperial.

From the proprietors of Michelin-starred Rich Table "Rich Table: A Cookbook for Making Beautiful Meals at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Note the measurements are both metric and Imperial.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to read some of the recipes. 

"The Easy Asian Cookbook for Slow Cookers: Family-Style Favorites from East, Southeast, and South Asia" Kindle Edition $2.49US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to read some of the recipes.  

Definitely a Kindle single (only 45 recipes)...
"Heritage Baking: Recipes for Rustic Breads and Pastries Baked with Artisanal Flour" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Another Kindle single (70 dessert recipes)
"Sweet Middle East: Classic Recipes, from Baklava to Fig Ice Cream" Kindle Edition $1.99US

The self-taught baker and blogger behind the Sophisticated Gourmet website, Kamran Siddiqi's "Hand Made Baking: Recipes to Warm the Heart" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of 75 recipes.

Andrew Schloss' "Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Leigh Anne Wilkes' "Holiday Slow Cooker: 100 Incredible and Festive Recipes for Every Celebration" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to read some of the recipes.

"Better Homes and Gardens Fast or Slow: Delicious Meals for Slow Cookers, Pressure Cookers, or Multi Cookers (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There's a recipe for "Low-Country Shrimp Boil from Better Homes and Gardens Fast or Slow" on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to read the Appetizer Chapter list of recipes followed by a few recipes.

"Better Homes and Gardens Make-Ahead Meals: 150+ Recipes to Enjoy Every Day of the Week (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Allison Miller's "Untraditional Desserts: 100 Classic Treats with a Twist" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see one of the recipes.

A Kindle single (70 recipes)...
"Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Inspired Bites: Unexpected Ideas for Entertaining from Pinch Food Design" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Pinch Food Design is a catering company. Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the cocktail recipes.

2012's "Pillsbury Best of the Bake-Off Cookies and Bars (Pillsbury Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Field Guide to Candy: How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Cuban Flavor: Exploring the Island's Unique Places, People, and Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Stephanie O'Dea's "365 Slow Cooker Suppers" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the founder of Foodimentary.com, John-Bryan Hopkins' "Foodimentary: Celebrating 365 Food Holidays with Classic Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

A Kindle single (75 recipes)...
"Savory Baking: 75 Warm and Inspiring Recipes for Crisp, Savory Baking" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Pie Pie Pie: Easy Homemade Favorites" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Brittany Bennett, of the Brooklyn-based bakery, Taartwork Pies, "The Taartwork Pies Cookbook: Grandmother's Recipe, Granddaughter's Remix" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Today's finds:

"Cast Iron Gourmet: 77 Amazing Recipes with Less Fuss and Fewer Dishes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes. Measurements are Imperial and Metric.

"365 Days of Slow-Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"Cake Simple: Recipes for Bundt-Style Cakes from Classic Dark Chocolate to Luscious Lemon Basil" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of 50 recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes. Measurements are Imperial and Metric.

Tim Oliver