• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I noticed a collection of Diana Henry's recipes is available for free.

Not quite sure what "collection" this refers to  but she's long had newspaper columns, written for various food publications and has tons on her website so there are a lot of her recipes available online - a search on EYB returns a list of over 2,000.  Many, but not all are available for free.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not quite sure what "collection" this refers to  but she's long had newspaper columns, written for various food publications and has tons on her website so there are a lot of her recipes available online - a search on EYB returns a list of over 2,000.  Many, but not all are available for free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CF7CJ1M/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i5

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Buckle up...lots of bargain cookbooks to list:

Maida Heatter's "Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see the first chapter's list of recipes.

Chef and author of Little Flower Christine Moore's "Little Flower Baking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes in full.

"The Big Book of Bacon: Savory Flirtations, Dalliances, and Indulgences with the Underbelly of the Pig" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Bacon Nation: 125 Irresistible Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see the first chapter's list of recipes.

"Fifty Shades of Bacon" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes in full.

"Are You There God? It's Me, Margarita: More Cocktails with a Literary Twist (A Tequila Mockingbird Book)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
A pun-filled paean to literature.

"The Taste of Portugal: A Voyage of Gastronomic Discovery Combined with Recipes, History and Folklore" Kindle Edition $1.99US

With an introduction by Julia Child, James Beard's "Hors d'Oeuvre and Canapés" Kindle Edition $1.99US 

Winner of the James Beard Award for Best American Cookbook "Between Harlem and Heaven: Afro-Asian-American Cooking for Big Nights, Weeknights, and Every Day" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Yvonne Ruperti's "One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see one of the recipes.

IACP AWARD FINALIST, Ori Menashe's "Bestia: Italian Recipes Created in the Heart of L.A. [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tieghan Gerard's "Half Baked Harvest Cookbook: Recipes from My Barn in the Mountains" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some of the recipes in full.

Tom Stobart's "Cook's Encyclopaedia" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Ingredients and procedures.

Slightly more expensive:
Christopher Kimball's "Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

More finds, including a a more expensive find:

CakeLove's Warren Brown's "CakeLove in the Morning" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

(Note that CakeLove may also be on sale...look through the other e-cookbooks shown on the page for the e-cookbook listed above)

"Cake Magic!: Mix & Match Your Way to 100 Amazing Combinations" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

From the web site founder of SouthernBite.com "The Southern Bite Cookbook: 150 Irresistible Dishes from 4 Generations of My Family's Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

The owner of Euna Mae's, a destination kitchen boutique in Northwest Arkansas, Amy Nelson Hannon's "Love Welcome Serve: Recipes that Gather and Give" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This next e-cookbook comes with an Amazon warning:

*DESIGNED FOR KINDLE FIRE TABLETS*
*NOT FOR KINDLE E-READERS OR KINDLE APPS*
From the Editors of Delish "Delish: Eat Like Every Day's the Weekend [Print Replica]" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see how this e-book is formatted.
There's a recipe on this e-cookbook's Amazon info page for Chicken Parm Soup from Delish.

The slightly more expensive "sale" cookbook:

Alice L. Waters' "Chez Panisse Fruit" Kindle Edition $4.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking Kindle Edition $2.99US. The email notification I got from Early Bird Books said the deal expires today, but I couldn't say whether or not Amazon holds to that.

My iPad is getting full, but I couldn't pass it up. Michael Solomov's Twice-Cooked Eggplant from Zahav is on the Amazon.com page.

• Like 1

From this morning's BookBub email:

This cookbook was previously posted a few years ago. I am posting it again in case anyone missed it.

Amanda Hesser's "The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first two chapters with a list of recipes listed at the beginning of each chapter. Plus you can see almost all of the recipes of the first two chapters.

A little more pricey...

Barbara Tropp's "China Moon Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.10US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first two chapters with a list of recipes listed at the beginning of each chapter. Plus you can see almost all of the recipes of the first two chapters.

Tim Oliver

When a new month starts, I look to see what Amazon has on sale regarding e-cookbooks. I swear when I first looked this month, there were two measly pages of sale items. Today I looked and there are five pages of e-cookbooks on sale.

WTF?

There were a couple "junior/youth" cookbooks in the listings that I am not posting in case anyone has an interest in those.

"Better Homes and Gardens Quick Homemade: Fast, Fresh Meals in 30 Minutes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the listing of recipes at the beginnings of a chapter, then scroll down to see the actual recipes.

"So Much to Celebrate: Entertaining the Ones You Love the Whole Year Through" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of the recipes centered around seasons/events. Not just recipes but decorating suggestions, as well.

Tammy Algood's "Sunday Dinner in the South: Recipes to Keep Them Coming Back for More" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of the recipes and scroll down to see actual recipes.

"Southern Cooking for Company: More than 200 Southern Hospitality Secrets and Show-Off Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of the recipes and scroll down to see actual recipes.

The last time I posted one of her e-cookbooks, it immediately went off-sale. I have no idea how long this will be on sale:

Lucinda Scala Quinn's "Mad Hungry Cravings" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive:
Irena Chalmers' "The Confident Cook: Basic Recipes and How to Build on Them (Picador Cookstr Classics)" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see actual recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

More finds this afternoon, from recipes to memoirs to British history:

"America's Greatest Cooks" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of chefs and their recipes, then scroll down and see some recipes.

From the Winner of Top Chef Masters "Floyd Cardoz: Flavorwalla: Big Flavor. Bold Spices. A New Way to Cook the Foods You Love." Kindle Edition $2.99US

Marcus Samuelsson's "Yes, Chef: A Memoir" Kindle Edition $1.99US
No recipes...a memoir.

From Chef Boyardee’s granddaughter: “Part cookbook, part family history, and part homage to her ancestors—immigrants who made their way in a new country” (NPR).
"Delicious Memories: Recipes and Stories from the Chef Boyardee Family" Kindle Edition $2.99US

History...

"British Food: An Extraordinary Thousand Years of History" Revised ed. Edition, Kindle Edition $1.99US

Françoise Branget's "French Country Cooking: Authentic Recipes from Every Region" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

"Cookies & Cream: Hundreds of Ways to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwich" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From YouTuber Maangchi, a combination of her three cookbooks based on the recipes she covers on her YouTube channel "Cooking Korean Food with Maangchi: Book 1, 2, & 3" Kindle Edition $2.99US
102 recipes.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes.

Slightly more expensive...
Signe Johansen's "Scandilicious Baking" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Scandinavian baking, Kindle Single-ish (not many recipes).

Signe Johansen's "Secrets of Scandinavian Cooking . . . Scandilicious" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Not sure how many recipes this contains.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a list of recipes in the first chapter and scroll down to see the recipes.

edited  to add:

"Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book: The Boston Cooking School" Kindle Edition $1.99US
A whopping 1,380 recipes (use the "Look Inside" feature to see them). A snapshot in time of recipes and how-to's. Well reviewed as a historical cookbook and for the recipes themselves.

Edited by Toliver
added another cookbook (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

Still having amazon credits to use up I acquired Delicious Memories.  Ettore Boiardi  was a bright shining star in the firmament of my canned goods postwar childhood.

Passed on British Food.  What have Briton cooks invented in the last ten thousand years besides lasagne?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Passed on British Food.  What have Briton cooks invented in the last ten thousand years besides lasagne?

Bully beef?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Two finds from this afternoon:

Elizabeth David's "Spices, Salt and Aromatics in the English Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Lunch at the Shop: The Art and Practice of the Midday Meal" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I just went for the Kindle version of Julia Turshen's Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers @ $2.99

I see the Kindle version of Nik Sharma's Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food is also $2.99

The Kindle version of Joanne Chang's Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories is the same price. 

Those three are at the same prices on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I just went for the Kindle version of Julia Turshen's Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers @ $2.99

I shall be most interested to hear what you think of this book. I am trying to rebuild my very badly damaged bank account else I might’ve bought it!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This afternoon's finds:

What do chef's cook when they have late night cravings?
"MUNCHIES: Late-Night Meals from the World's Best Chefs [A Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of chefs and their gp-to dishes. Then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

An oldie from the last mid-century:
"The Constance Spry Cookery Book" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some of the recipes. Note the recipes seem to list both weights & measurements in the recipes. And some recipes don't follow what we consider a recipe format...they're more like a quick paragraph/description.

"The Complete Kitchen Garden: An Inspired Collection of Garden Designs & 100 Seasonal Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
This is an odd recipe book. It discusses seasonal gardens and then has recipes using the ingredients from those gardens.

From the Amazon info page:
"Based on seasonal cycles, each chapter of this indispensible book provides a new way to look at the planning stages of starting a garden—with themes and designs such as the Salad Lover’s Garden, the Heirloom Maze Garden, the Children’s Garden, and the Organic Rotation Garden. 
More than 100 recipes—including a full range of soups, salads, main courses, and desserts, as well as condiments and garnishes—are featured here, all using the food grown in each specific garden."

Sort of Kindle Single-ish:
"The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Stir, Sizzle, Bake: Recipes for Your Cast-Iron Skillet: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to the first chapter to see a list of recipes for that chapter and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

And two non-food recipe books, one food-related and one not so much:

Mark Essig's "Lesser Beasts: A Snout-to-Tail History of the Humble Pig" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Little Book of Incredibly Useful Knots: 200 Practical Knots for Sailors, Climbers, Campers & Other Adventurers" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the illustrations in the book.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I am running late with this...a new month and new bargain-priced listings. There are many previously posted cookbooks in this month's selections. I encourage you to look through them (on Amazon's Kindle Books deals page) to see what I am not posting now:

This has been previously posted but it's from Paula Wolfert, so enough said...

Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Top Chef alumni Stephanie Izard's "Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

From the NYC bakery of the same name "Milk & Cookies: 89 Heirloom Recipes from New York's Milk & Cookies Bakery" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the Los Angeles cafe and bakery of the same name "Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see the recipes for the first chapter.

From the Amazon info page for this ecookbook:
"Part cookbook, part food journalism, and part love song to the city itself, L.A. Mexicano is the definitive resource for home cooks, hungry Angelenos, and food-loving visitors."
Bill Esparza's "L.A. Mexicano: Recipes, People & Places" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From blogger Nik Sharma "Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"Sunday Casseroles: Complete Comfort in One Dish" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see some of the recipes.

"Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying" Kindle Edition $2.99US

L.A. chef Ricardo Zarate's "The Fire of Peru: Recipes and Stories from My Peruvian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

By The editors of Saveur Magazine and James Oseland "Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Kindle Single-ish (60 recipes) "Southern Appetizers: 60 Delectables for Gracious Get-Togethers" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Then scroll down to see one of the recipes.

"Fondue" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Miracle of Vinegar: 150 easy recipes and uses for home, health and beauty" Kindle Edition $.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and other chapters.

"Cooking Slow: Recipes for Slowing Down and Cooking More" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Lorraine Wallace's (spouse of TV journalist Crhis Wallace) "Mr. Sunday's Saturday Night Chicken: More than 100 Delicious, Homemade Recipes to Bring Your Family Together" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes then scroll down to see some of the recipes.
There are 3 recipes from this cookbook on the Amazon info page for this book but they didn't work when I tried clicking on them.

From Tasty, Buzzfeed's cooking brand, "Tasty Latest and Greatest: Everything You Want to Cook Right Now (An Official Tasty Cookbook)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
There's a recipe for Chicken Satay Skewers on the Amazon info page for this cookbook. 
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and other chapters.

"Faye Levy's International Jewish Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Slightly pricier:
Santa Monica's Breakfast and bakery's "Huckleberry: Stories, Secrets, and Recipes From Our Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"Choclatique: 150 Simply Elegant Desserts" Kindle Edition $3.99US

And even pricier...
Not a cookbook but food history. I believe it has been previously posted.
John T. Edge's "The Potlikker Papers: A Food History of the Modern South" Kindle Edition $4.99US

Chef Susan Feniger's "Susan Feniger's Street Food: Irresistibly Crispy, Creamy, Crunchy, Spicy, Sticky, Sweet Recipes: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $5.49US

Edited by Toliver
Edited for clarification (log)
  • Like 4

Tim Oliver