• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

How odd...I thought I posted these but my post seems to be gone. Please see the post above for an edit adding a new found bargain ecookbook that was slightly higher than the usual sale-price I post:

"My Lisbon: A Cookbook from Portugal's City of Light" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Authentic Polish Cooking: 120 Mouthwatering Recipes, from Old-Country Staples to Exquisite Modern Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 minutes ago, Toliver said:

How odd...I thought I posted these but my post seems to be gone. Please see the post above for an edit adding a new found bargain ecookbook that was slightly higher than the usual sale-price I post:

"My Lisbon: A Cookbook from Portugal's City of Light" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Authentic Polish Cooking: 120 Mouthwatering Recipes, from Old-Country Staples to Exquisite Modern Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.

You did post these before.  Just thought I would ease your mind!

• Like 1

Thanks, @ElsieD!

From this morning's BookBub email:

"The World Sauces Cookbook: 60 Regional Recipes and 30 Perfect Pairings" Kindle Edition $.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

14 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Thanks, @ElsieD!

"The World Sauces Cookbook: 60 Regional Recipes and 30 Perfect Pairings" Kindle Edition $.99US

I bought this one.  Thanks as always for pointing out these deals.  I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Thanks, @ElsieD!

For $1.30 Canadian, I couldn’t resist.

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, Toliver said:

Thanks, @ElsieD!

Bought it.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I actually made something from The World Sauces Cookbook - the Gochujang "Seong" sauce.  Had it with chicken  wings.  Highly recommended.

20190720_184520.jpg

You talked me into it!  Though I doubt it will replace Raymond Sokolov's Saucier's Apprentice.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, rotuts said:

my library system doesnt have this book

bummer

Request the library purchase a copy.  Or sell your amazon stock and actually buy it for $0.99.

N.B. the dead tree version of The World Sauces Cookbook has not been officially released so it is not entirely surprising your library does not have it.

Ill fill out a request after the Heat Wave.

missed the bit about the PB not out yet.

dont do kindle.

but every body else should 

my few shares dropped a bit over the last few days.

• Haha 1

Some bargain-priced cookbooks, some not-so-bargain-priced:

Ali Maffucci's "Inspiralized and Beyond: Spiralize, Chop, Rice, and Mash Your Vegetables into Creative, Craveable Meals: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Surprisingly 5-star reviewed by all who responded.

Chow Mezger's "Jude's Ice Cream & Desserts: Scoops, bakes, shakes and sauces" Kindle Edition $.99US
Metric measurements plus Imperial measurements.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's listing of recipes, plus some actual recipes.

Now the more expensive cookbooks, posted because of they're authors-of-note:

Nancy Silverton's "Mozza at Home: More than 150 Crowd-Pleasing Recipes for Relaxed, Family-Style Entertaining" Kindle Edition $5.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the listing of recipes and after that, some of the actual recipes.
There's a recipe for "Roasted Carrot and Wheat Berry Salad with Dill" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

This is the lowest price I've seen on this cookbook. Not a sale-price, but still not $18.99US either.
Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's "Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $7.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the listing of recipes and after that, some of the actual recipes.

EDITED TO ADD THREE MORE:

"Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat" Kindle Edition $1.99US
The Amazon info page for this cookbook has a recipe for Martha’s Meyer Lemon Cupcakes.

Jane Ziegelman's "97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement" Kindle Edition $1.99US
More historical than a cookbook...only 40 recipes in the book pertaining to the families profiled.

Slightly pricier, with over 300 recipes:
"Mastery of the SAUCES (The Culinary Library Book 3)" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the listing of recipes.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

I went with Jude's Ice Cream, thanks.  I bought Mastery of Sauces the other day when I saw it on sale.  Haven't started to read it yet.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that Mastery of the Sauces is by eG member @TheCulinaryLibrary

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm pretty sure that Mastery of the Sauces is by eG member @TheCulinaryLibrary

Indeed, that is the one.  Sad he or she has not been around.  I'd say the book is well worth the $3.99 asking price.  Other volumes are $4.99.

• Like 2

One this morning from my BookBub email:

Chef and storyteller Martha Hall Foose's "Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes. You can almost hear her southern drawl in the prose.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, hsm said:

Speaking of $4.99 books, Essentials of Italian Cooking” by Marcella Hazan Kindle Edition is available on Amazon. I’d loaned my hard copy to Can’t Remember Who, who never returned it, so have been waiting on this. Sorry if I missed a previous posting about it.

IMHO well worth owning. 

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Yesterday, I bought Andrea Nguyen's Vietnamese Food Any Day: Simple Recipes for True, Fresh Flavors: A Cookbook which was published earlier this year.  $2.99 on Amazon.com.  I've had it on my radar screen since listening to this interview with Evan Kleiman: Vietnamese cooking expert Andrea Nguyen goes simple

A couple of her other Kindle books are also low priced when compared to their hardback versions although they appear to be regular Kindle pricing, not limited-time sale prices. 

The listing for the kindle version of Asian Tofu: Discover the Best, Make Your Own, and Cook It at Home: A Cookbook says, "The enhanced ebook edition of Asian Tofu offers an enriched cookbook experience with 17 videos, including step-by-step guidance for making tofu at home plus coaching on other key techniques. Bonus travelogues explore tofu hotspots around the globe and immerse readers in the sights, sounds, and sources of this remarkable food."  This Kindle version is $4.99 vs $22.61 for the hardcover version published in 2012. 

The Kindle version of Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More: A Cookbook is $4.99 on Amazon.com vs $21.77 for the hardcover published in 2009. 

Sadly, none of these prices translate over to Amazon.ca

Edited to add that a more careful search through this thread shows that both of the latter books that I listed have previously been bargain-priced at $1.99 or $2.99 so keep that in mind. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Two from this morning's emails:

Chef Thomas McNaughton's "Flour + Water: Pasta: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

A Gooseberry Patch cookbook "Grilling and Campfire Cooking (Everyday Cookbook Collection)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, scroll down to see some of the recipes. Plus, on the Amazon info page for this cookbook is a recipe for "Baja Fish Tacos". 

EDITED TO ADD ANOTHER FIND WITH A NAME OF NOTE FOR SOME:

"Michael Chiarello's Live Fire: 125 Recipes for Cooking Outdoors" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

From this afternoon's TASTE email and the proverbial Amazon rabbit hole:

Myron Mixon's "Everyday Barbecue: At Home with America's Favorite Pitmaster: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There are three recipes (PDF files) on the Amazon info page.

Peter Reinhart's "American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This has been previously posted a while back:

Alice Waters' "Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza, & Calzone: A Cookbook (Chez Panisse Cookbook Library)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Karen Solomon's "Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Other pickling-related cookbooks from her have been posted in this forum in the past.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Surprisingly small bunches of recipes under different subjects.

And one slightly higher than the normal sale-price:

Marc Vetri's "Mastering Pizza: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pizza, Focaccia, and Calzone: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Edited by Toliver
To clarify (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, hsm said:

Thanks for this! I own some of her other books and have been hoping this one would go on sale.

Well I would have bought it but amazon informed me that I own it.

• Haha 3

A new month, new cookbooks on sale:

"Retro Recipes from the '50s and '60s: 103 Vintage Appetizers, Dinners, and Drinks Everyone Will Love (RecipeLion)" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

"No-Bake Treats: Incredible Unbaked Cheesecakes, Icebox Cakes, Pies and More" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

"Coolhaus Ice Cream Book: Custom-Built Sandwiches with Crazy-Good Combos of Cookies, Ice Creams, Gelatos, and Sorbets" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There are three recipes from the cookbook on the Amazon info page for this item.

Kim Haasarud's "101 Sangrias and Pitcher Drinks" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll down to see recipes from the cookbook.

2015 IACP Award Winner, Best Single Subject Cookbook Cathy Barrow's "Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This has been on sale before...

"The Lost Art of Pie Making: Made Easy" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 3

Tim Oliver