• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's still showing $2.99 for me on Amazon.com but not on Amazon.ca

Well, that's the difference. It's ".com" (US web site) versus ".ca" (Canada). We should harangue Amazon to make the prices sync up.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

Well, that's the difference. It's ".com" (US web site) versus ".ca" (Canada). We should harangue Amazon to make the prices sync up.

No guarantee that it would work but it might be worth the effort. A book that I wanted and had on my wish list suddenly increased astronomically in price. I brought this to the attention of Amazon and almost immediately the price reverted to what it was when I had put it into my wish list. This had nothing to do with sales.  It is just an example of how responsive Amazon can be.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, Toliver said:

Actually, it's about a) where you are, and b) how Amazon has your account configured.

By default, Canadians (both by location and account), can't get the same prices on amazon.COM as "Americans" (either by location or account).

The quotation marks around "Americans" above is because while I'm Canadian by location (and nationality), somehow my Amazon account allows me to see (and purchase) eBooks that are posted here at the US sale price.  Ie.  Using Safari (my usual browser, that has all my Amazon account cookies and tokens cached) the Momofuku book still shows as $2.99 USD on Amazon.COM.  If I go to the exact same page in Chrome (which doesn't have all my account info cached), the price is $13.74.

The implication is that someone with an American Amazon account may see different prices depending on where they were and if they were logged on (or the browser had cached their account info), but once they were logged in, they should be able to purchase at the reduced price.  Whereas a Canadian determined to be physically in the US by Amazon would see the sale price (if they weren't logged in/had cached browser account info), but not be able to purchase at said sale price.

As mentioned, my account is some kind of weird anomaly.  It's a long story.....

But yes, it would be nice if we could get content and prices synchronized across the two countries.  I imagine that it's the same problem as Netflix between the US and Canada, and it comes down to licensing and intellectual property rights.

• Like 1

Today's find:

From 2010, finalist for the James Beard Foundation Book Award and the IACP Cookbook Award,

Robert L. Wolke's "What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The recipes (not sure how many) illustrate chemical properties and why things work the way they do in cooking/baking.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, jer_vic said:

Actually, it's about a) where you are, and b) how Amazon has your account configured.

By default, Canadians (both by location and account), can't get the same prices on amazon.COM as "Americans" (either by location or account).

The quotation marks around "Americans" above is because while I'm Canadian by location (and nationality), somehow my Amazon account allows me to see (and purchase) eBooks that are posted here at the US sale price.  Ie.  Using Safari (my usual browser, that has all my Amazon account cookies and tokens cached) the Momofuku book still shows as $2.99 USD on Amazon.COM.  If I go to the exact same page in Chrome (which doesn't have all my account info cached), the price is $13.74.

The implication is that someone with an American Amazon account may see different prices depending on where they were and if they were logged on (or the browser had cached their account info), but once they were logged in, they should be able to purchase at the reduced price.  Whereas a Canadian determined to be physically in the US by Amazon would see the sale price (if they weren't logged in/had cached browser account info), but not be able to purchase at said sale price.

As mentioned, my account is some kind of weird anomaly.  It's a long story.....

But yes, it would be nice if we could get content and prices synchronized across the two countries.  I imagine that it's the same problem as Netflix between the US and Canada, and it comes down to licensing and intellectual property rights.

Amazon says Kindle prices are set by the publishers.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Amazon says Kindle prices are set by the publishers.

And publishers are huge fans of market segmentation.  So the publishers say Canadians pay more, and Amazon implements it... 

• Sad 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Charred & Smoked: More Than 75 Bold Recipes and Cooking Techniques for the Home Cook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This book is not reviewed as of this writing.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Two from this weekend's BookBub emails:

From the UK...

Lorraine Pascale's "Everyday Easy" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to not only see the list of recipes, but scroll down to see a couple of the recipes, too.

This one is a little more than sale-priced...

"The Blue Apron Cookbook: 165 Essential Recipes and Lessons for a Lifetime of Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

A new month, some new sale-priced ecookbooks:

Chef Emeritus and master preserver Joyce Goldstein's "Jam Session: A Fruit-Preserving Handbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of recipes.

Nigella Lawson's "Nigella Fresh: Delicious Flavors on Your Plate All Year Round" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I think this has been posted before:

"La Paella: Deliciously Authentic Rice Dishes from Spain's Mediterranean Coast" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Fresh Fish: A Fearless Guide to Grilling, Shucking, Searing, Poaching, and Roasting Seafood" Kindle Edition $2.51US
Use the "look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, and scroll down to see a few recipes.

Robert Sietsema's "New York in a Dozen Dishes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Essays and some recipes.

"America's Most Wanted Recipes At the Grill: Recreate Your Favorite Restaurant Meals in Your Own Backyard! (America's Most Wanted Recipes Series)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Restaurant grilled dishes copycat recipe. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. 

"A Pig in Provence: Good Food and Simple Pleasures in the South of France" Kindle Edition $.99US
Essays and some recipes.

"Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Linda Ziedrich's "The Joy of Pickling, 3rd Edition" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Steve Sando's (aka Rancho Gordo on eGullet) "Heirloom Beans: Recipes from Rancho Gordo" Kindle Edition $2.99US

A little bit more expensive:

Gail Simmons' "Bringing It Home: Favorite Recipes from a Life of Adventurous Eating" Kindle Edition  $3.99US

Top Chef's "Harold Dieterle's Kitchen Notebook: Hundreds of Recipes, Tips, and Techniques for Cooking Like a Chef at Home" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"Love, Bake, Nourish" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a list of recipes from the first chapter, plus a few recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

'sall right, I made up for kayb by clicking on two books I'd already bought -- and then buying the pickle book, which I hadn't.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can't recall how I found this little blurb, but it's for a cookbook being reissued this November. It's not on sale yet nor is it bargain-priced. What was also interesting was to go through the "Customers also viewed these cookbooks" and see almost every cookbook at higher price than I am used to seeing.

Here's the reissue:

"The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern" Hardcover – November 12, 2019
by Claudia Fleming  (Author), Melissa Clark  (Author), Danny Meyer (Preface), Tom Colicchio (Foreword)

Tim Oliver

One from today's BookBub email:

From FoodTV's Melissa d'Arabian "Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes & Tips to Elevate Simple, Fresh Meals Any Night of the Week" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a few of the recipes.
Also, there's a recipe for Salmon Cakes on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Tim Oliver

Stumbled over on Amazon today: The Texas Food Bible: From Legendary Dishes to New Classics by Chef Dean Fearing. It's gotten good reviews, although as usual with reviews some must be taken with literary salt: one reviewer for the hardbound book wrote "GREAT GIFT FOR THE KITCHEN, MANY GREAT RECIPES, LOOKS GREAT ON DISPLAY"

$1.99 for the Kindle edition, at least for this Prime member.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Does it have his recipe for tortilla soup in it? That's the best tortilla soup I ever ate in my life.

ETA: Never mind. I bought it on general principles.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Does it have his recipe for tortilla soup in it? That's the best tortilla soup I ever ate in my life.

ETA: Never mind. I bought it on general principles.

Then you already know the answer but per Eat Your Books, there is indeed a recipe called, "Dean's tortilla soup with south-of the-border flavors"

46 minutes ago, kayb said:

Have skimmed through...what is it with no table of contents? Several things I'm anxious to try.

My copy shows a Table of Contents on "Page 1" - and that seems to be 2 or 3 pages into the book, after the cover, the frontispiece...

...oh, wait...now instead of being at position "0" of the book it seems to be sitting at location 5523  /99% of the book. 

Weird. It's there, but the whole book seems to run in a ring instead of having a definite beginning and end. O.o

• Like 1

I bought A Pig in Provence last week. I've added it ro my list of general things to read. I'm still working on Always, Julia.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

From this morning's BookBub email:

Carla Bartolucci's "Einkorn: Recipes for Nature's Original Wheat" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Einkorn is an ancient wheat. The author says his daughter was gluten sensitive and by using Einkorn, she could eat it without any wheat-related problems.

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some recipes. 

Edited to add one more, slightly more expensive than the usual sale-price:

James Beard Award Nominee 2019 for Best Cookbook: Baking and Desserts, Cathy Barrow's "Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet & Savory Slab Pies" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (who knew there was more than one kind of pie crust recipe? ;) ).

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver