• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My granddaughter is a Mandarin student and has had three trips to China.  It didn't help.  At least when I'm with her we don't have to order from the Caucasian menu.  But I suspect dim sum does not have much to do with Mandarin.

No. Dim Sum is Cantonese.

In Mandarin, it's 点心 (diǎn xin), meaning something like  “drops of the heart”.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

From this morning's BookBub email, I am hesitant to post it because it's a "diet" cookbook which I normally don't post. Some of the negative reviews point out that there isn't much revelatory in the recipes or the ideas presented inside:

From the Amazon info page for this cookbook...

Winner of the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Awards
Winner of the World Gourmand Cookbook Awards
Finalist for the IACP Awards
Shortlisted for the NCIBA Book Awards, Best Cookbook

Deepa Thomas'S "Deepa's Secrets: Slow Carb New Indian Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I believe this next cookbook has been previously posted but I am posting it again because of the author and his previous cookbooks:

Yotam Ottolenghi's "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email, I am hesitant to post it because it's a "diet" cookbook which I normally don't post. 

I have a book "Cooking Light Global Kitchen.  I'm curious to know if you would consider that a diet book.  I really like some of the recipes in it, tonight I am making  Korean Stewed Chicken with Spinach.

From a Taste email and a BookBub email, I found these this morning (there were others but they've been posted before in the past):

"Food52 Any Night Grilling: 60 Ways to Fire Up Dinner (and More) (Food52 Works)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Magic of Mini Pies: Sweet and Savory Miniature Pies and Tarts" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

Again, I am at a loss for words regarding a new month and a paucity of Amazon listings of on-sale cookbooks: Many of the cookbooks listed this month have been posted before (most of which I will not post again myself):

For example - 

"Jacques Pépin New Complete Techniques" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

And:

PBS cooking show host Pati Jinich's "Mexican Today: New and Rediscovered Recipes for Contemporary Kitchens" Kindle Edition $2.99US

And slightly more expensive than the usual posting:

Yotam Ottolenghi's "Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi" Kindle Edition $3.99US

New (to me, at least):

James Peisker's "Homemade Sausage" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Emily Hyland's "EMILY: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Pizza!

I am a US prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, donk79 said:

51noB6ibYnL.jpg

Here is another.  I ran across it the other day and was considering a hard copy.  I deferred in order to research it more.  1.99 for me on Kindle as a prime member.

Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes

Yes, it's been previously posted in this discussion. It is rarely on sale, normally hovering around the $16.99 price for a Kindle copy so that's a great sale price.

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

Yes, it's been previously posted in this discussion. It is rarely on sale, normally hovering around the $16.99 price for a Kindle copy so that's a great sale price.

I have it. Well worthwhile.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

From the TASTE email and BookBub email I received today:

Laura Schenone's "The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken: A Search for Food and Family" Kindle Edition $2.99US
A memoir, a hunt for old family recipes. Some reviews said the author was obssesive and it didn't wrap up with a bow on it. She includes some recipes that she found in her journeys. 

"Platters and Boards: Beautiful, Casual Spreads for Every Occasion" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Rachael Ray makes a lot of platter/boards on her syndicated TV show so this must be the new trend. It's a how-to-assemble ingredients along with recipes.

Jessie Sheehan's "The Vintage Baker: More Than 50 Recipes from Butterscotch Pecan Curls to Sour Cream Jumbles" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

Virginia Willis' "Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see some of the recipes.

Slightly more expensive:
Jennifer Chandler's "The Southern Pantry Cookbook: 105 Recipes Already Hiding in Your Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

This has been previously posted. It's slightly more expensive that the cookbooks I usually post:
 Alice Waters' "The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution" Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

24 minutes ago, thurbers said:

If Tolliver listed this in the past my apologies, but this popped up in my feed: 

Mediterranean Harvest by Martha Rose Shulman

I don't know about this particular book, but quite a few years ago her  Mediterranean Light provided me a few go-to recipes that I still make. 

I wouldn't have posted that book since I consider it a special interest/diet cookbook (it's a vegetarian cookbook, which I usually don't post in this forum). 

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It was on sale last September.

This reminds me of that special series currently airing/streaming about the different street foods of Asia (I think someone posted about the series in the Food Media category).

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I wouldn't call it a bargain as I wasted an hour and bought three others.

Edit:  four others.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

More finds from this afternoon. Ever since I bought Ina Garten's cookbook for Jeffrey (on sale), Amazon keeps populating my cookbook pages with her cookbooks...at full price. ¬¬ Really, Amazon? :laugh:

A reference book:
Caitlin PenzeyMoog's "On Spice: Advice, Wisdom, and History with a Grain of Saltiness" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Sort of Kindle-Single-ish (only 60 recipes, which you can see using the "Look Inside" feature...the recipes are in lower case). Still, it's a very low price:
Jill O'Connor's "Cake, I Love You: Decadent, Delectable, and Do-able Recipes" Kindle Edition $.99US

Slightly more expensive than the usual sale-priced eCookbooks:
Leah Koenig's "Modern Jewish Cooking: Recipes & Customs for Today's Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Yes, a special-interest cookbook, but given the eG discussion about "Camping, Princess Style", I thought I would post it:

Linda Ly's "The New Camp Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

I picked up On Spice, thanks.  I'm half way finished with the copy I have home from the library.  Not a lot of new information on spices so far but she writes well.  Thought it was worth buying.

Sadly I could not stop there.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Found this morning:

David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop, Revised and Updated: 200 Recipes for Ice Creams, Sorbets, Gelatos, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments" Kindle Edition $1.99US
From the book's Amazon info page:
"A revised and updated edition of the best-selling ice cream book, featuring a dozen new recipes, a fresh design, and all-new photography."

And this next one is very off-topic but may be of interest to some in this forum:

Rex Stout's "If Death Ever Slept (A Nero Wolfe Mystery Book 29)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

And this next one is very off-topic but may be of interest to some in this forum:

Rex Stout's "If Death Ever Slept (A Nero Wolfe Mystery Book 29)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

How could Nero Wolfe stories ever be off topic on a food site? After all, he lived to eat as much as to read or detect.  🙂

I discovered Nero Wolfe when I was in my teens and early twenties and the novels were a quick and easy diversion while I was going to Uni and wanted a break from the textbooks. I think I still have the full set, though I haven't read one for many years. But somehow I was reluctant to part with them and I have loaned them out a few times. 

I am pretty sure I once tried to prepare trout a la meunière based on a NW story. I don't think mine was very good, I didn't know how light a touch it needed at the time. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

One from my BookBub email today:

Sort of in the vein of Taste of Home...

"Fix-It and Enjoy-It: All-Purpose, Welcome-Home Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
No list of recipes, but use the "Look Inside" features to see some recipes from the cookbook. Also the Amazon info page for this book has 6 recipes from the cookbook.

Edited to add another cookbook:

"The New Persian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Sort of Kindle Single-ish with only 75 recipes.

There are two recipes from the cookbook on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

On 5/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, FauxPas said:

How could Nero Wolfe stories ever be off topic on a food site? After all, he lived to eat as much as to read or detect.  🙂

Way back when on eGullet, there was an eGullet member with the user name NeroW. New-ish to the internet at the time, I assumed, incorrectly, that NeroW was male. She posted a soup recipe (with a ripe banana as one of the ingredients!) that a lot of members made and said they enjoyed. Very Nero Wolfe-ish! xD

Edited by Toliver
Edited to correct the name (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

From my BookBub email:

"Ikaria: Lessons on Food, Life, and Longevity from the Greek Island Where People Forget to Die" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the Amazon info page for this cookbook:
Part cookbook, part travelogue, Ikaria is an introduction to the food-as-life philosophy of the Greek island "blue zone" and a culinary journey through luscious recipes, gorgeous photography, and captivating stories from locals. 

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a couple of recipes. Also there is a recipe from the cookbook on the Amazon info page.

One partially negative review said that because the recipes are from an island, ingredients were limited.

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Way back when on eGullet, there was an eGullet member with the user name NeroW. New-ish to the internet at the time, I assumed, incorrectly, that NeroW was male. She posted a soup recipe (with a ripe banana as one of the ingredients!) that a lot of members made and said they enjoyed. Very Nero Wolfe-ish! xD

I love Nero Wolfe, in large part due to how much the plots work in dining scenes. I, however, would likely be an Archie, always on the wrong side of Inspector Cramer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com