• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

This may have been previously posted some time ago. I keep seeing it on Amazon and the price can't be beat:

Saiphin Moore's "Rosa's Thai Cafe: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited to add more sale-priced cookbooks that just came in my TASTE email. I believe they have all been previously posted...some, a while ago:

"Alton Brown: EveryDayCook: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Mac + Cheese Cookbook: 50 Simple Recipes from Homeroom, America's Favorite Mac and Cheese Restaurant" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook: Artisanal Baking from Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly pricier...

Momofuku's "Milk Bar Life: Recipes & Stories" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Edited by Toliver
edited again for reformatting link (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Had to go with Hot Bread Kitchen.

That, and Rosa's Thai Cafe. The explanation of ingredients alone is worth $0.99. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

From this afternoon's browsings:

Not a cookbook but how to select and grow great tomatoes...
Craig LeHoullier's "Epic Tomatoes: How to Select and Grow the Best Varieties of All Time" Kindle Edition $2.51US

There are a lot of positive reviews for this book.

One of the reviews said this next book seemed like a cookbook from the '70's because it didn't have any photos. That being said, it has quite a number of positive reviews:

"Classic Sourdoughs, Revised: A Home Baker's Handbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

18 minutes ago, Toliver said:

From this afternoon's browsings:

Not a cookbook but how to select and grow great tomatoes...
Craig LeHoullier's "Epic Tomatoes: How to Select and Grow the Best Varieties of All Time" Kindle Edition $2.51US

There are a lot of positive reviews for this book.

One of the reviews said this next book seemed like a cookbook from the '70's because it didn't have any photos. That being said, it has quite a number of positive reviews:

"Classic Sourdoughs, Revised: A Home Baker's Handbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

@Toliver Thank you.  As a newcomer to baking with sourdough I was happy to pick up the Sourdough book.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Toliver Thank you.  As a newcomer to baking with sourdough I was happy to pick up the Sourdough book.

I adore a sourdough with a nice tang to it. I can't read the bread threads on eGullet and view all of the pictures without drooling. It's almost Pavlovian. xD

I don't bake but look forward to it when I retire. I am learning from your efforts. Keep posting! 

Tim Oliver

Some cookbooks from the TASTE email I received this afternoon:

"The Big Book of Sides: More than 450 Recipes for the Best Vegetables, Grains, Salads, Breads, Sauces, and More: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see a list of recipes (by holidays/events, etc) and scroll further down to see some recipes. Amazon's info page for this cookbook seems to show an oddly spaced list of recipes from the cookbook.

Richard Bertinet's award-winning book "Dough: Simple Contemporary Bread" Kindle Edition $.99US

There's supposed to be a 30-minute DVD included giving additional guidance. Not sure how that is being handled by Kindle. It may be part of the download which is indicated on the Amazon info page that it may take longer to download due to file size.

Anne Byrn's "American Cookie: The Snaps, Drops, Jumbles, Tea Cakes, Bars & Brownies That We Have Loved for Generations" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Recipes come with lessons about the history of the cookies.

A little pricier than what I normally post...
Giada De Laurentiis' "Giada's Italy: My Recipes for La Dolce Vita" Kindle Edition $3.99US

And even more pricier, but still a sale-price (this is the first time I've seen any of Ina Garten's cookbooks come down in price):
Ina Garten's "Cooking for Jeffrey: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US
There's a recipe for "Maple-Roasted Carrot Salad" on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks.  I bought Dough.

I too bought Dough and I also purchased Crust.  Each was $0.99.  Crumb is more expensive so I passed.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I too bought Dough and I also purchased Crust.  Each was $0.99.  Crumb is more expensive so I passed.

Thanks.  I missed crust.  I now have it.

• Like 1

From my morning's BookBub email:

Chef of the award-winning Atlanta restaurant Miller Union, Steven Satterfield' "Root to Leaf: A Southern Chef Cooks Through the Seasons" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Finalist for the 2016 IACP Awards: Julia Child First Book
Recipes sorted by seasons. No listing but if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down, you can see some of the recipes.

Tim Oliver

I bought Sides.  It's not clear how to navigate it as a cookbook.  There's no list of recipes (even un-linked).  The index, which runs 23 pages in the print book, is not reproduced in the kindle version.  It wouldn't be too difficult to include it as a "list of searchable terms,"  if not as links.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MReichle said:

I bought Sides.  It's not clear how to navigate it as a cookbook.  There's no list of recipes (even un-linked).  The index, which runs 23 pages in the print book, is not reproduced in the kindle version.  It wouldn't be too difficult to include it as a "list of searchable terms,"  if not as links.

That’s annoying! I see the book is indexed on Eat Your Books, so that’s an option 

• Like 1

A few finds today, the first slightly higher than the usual sale-price:

Pierre Hermé's "Macarons" Kindle Edition $3.99US

From the Great British Bake Off 2017, "Liam Charles Cheeky Treats: Includes recipes from the new Liam Bakes TV show on Channel 4" Kindle Edition $.99US

Lucas Neill's "Jewish Cookbook 365: Take A Tasty Tour Of Jewish With 365 Best Jewish Recipes! (Jewish Holiday Cookbook, Best Jewish Cookbook, Jewish Baking Cookbook, Easy Jewish Cookbook) [Book 1]" Kindle Edition $.99US

**NOTE that this book has not been reviewed yet on Amazon.

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Huh. My Amazon US log-in does not work on Amazon Canada. Go figger.

But then, I think I have Rob's book. I went after Sunday Brunches, only to find I bought it last year.

If anybody ever runs across John Currence's book, "Big Bad Breakfast" cookbook on sale, btw, I recommend grabbing it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

From this morning's BookBub email:

IMHO, generally speaking, this cookbook on tacos is on the same level as any cookbook on grilled cheese sandwiches...really?  You need a recipe for this? ¬¬

"The Taco Revolution: Over 100 Traditional and Innovative Recipes to Master America's New Favorite Food" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to view a couple recipes.

Tim Oliver

The other day, I picked up the Kindle version of The Dim Sum Field Guide: A Taxonomy of Dumplings, Buns, Meats, Sweets, and Other Specialties of the Chinese Teahouse by @Carolyn Phillips for $1.99 US, sadly not similarly reduced on Amazon.ca

I'd been intrigued by this since it came out as it sounded terribly cute but I didn't want to spend $15 dollars on it.  I knew the book contained the author's own drawings of the various sorts of dim sum and was worried that it might be awkwardly laid out in the Kindle version. The "Look Inside" feature didn't display any of the actual listings but I figured it was worth a try for $1.99 and was pleased to find that it actually works quite well with a hyperlinked table of contents, index and handy links to related items within the text.  There's a nice intro to dim sum up front, which you can see via "Look Inside," followed by individual listings for  a pretty wide assortment of dim sum items.  It's a charming little book.   

Here's one of the listings, captured from my phone so you can see that it is indeed a field guide and not a cook book as some negative Amazon reviews apparently thought.  The inclusion of a section on "Nesting Habits" cracks me up! 

IMG_1398.thumb.PNG.5f2afce16218c61c1b775e385f9f013b.PNG

IMG_1399.thumb.PNG.b50b1355afae44743d572f3c5022bc55.PNG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I believe the author is a friend or an acquaintance of @liuzhou.   I seem to recall him recommending this book when it was first released.  I am certain he will correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I believe the author is a friend or an acquaintance of @liuzhou.   I seem to recall him recommending this book when it was first released.  I am certain he will correct me if I am wrong.

An acquaintance, yes, She contacted me when she was researching her book on regional Chinese cuisine,  "All Under Heaven" with a few questions about food specific to my part of China. Later, she was kind enough to include me (under my real name) in her list of acknowledgements, alongside the good and great! Company  I seldom keep!

She is an eGullet member @C J Phillips , but hasn't posted for a long time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I clicked on the Phillips book.  Though I have never had Dim Sum.  The one time when my family and I went for Dim Sum we all ordered other stuff.

From today's BookBub email:

"The Ultimate Avocado Cookbook: 50 Modern, Stylish & Delicious Recipes to Feed Your Avocado Addiction" Kindle Edition $1.99US

You can use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I clicked on the Phillips book.  Though I have never had Dim Sum.  The one time when my family and I went for Dim Sum we all ordered other stuff.

I was lucky enough to have received my dim sum training from Chinese friends.  I remember an occasion back in the very early '80s probably, when LA's Chinatown still had more dim sum places than the San Gabriel Valley and the bill was still figured by counting up the plates. A Caucasian couple was seated within earshot and were clearly unfamiliar with the offerings so they asked the server what they were.  She lifted the lid from the first stack of steamers on her cart and tilted one so they could see the contents and shouted, "MEAT INSIDE!"  She did the same with her next stack, a completely different item, and again loudly intoned, "MEAT INSIDE!"  and yes, she said the same thing a third time for her last offering.   I can't remember what the items were but I think one was shrimp, one pork and maybe something with chicken.   Those diners could certainly have used that field guide! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was lucky enough to have received my dim sum training from Chinese friends.  I remember an occasion back in the very early '80s probably, when LA's Chinatown still had more dim sum places than the San Gabriel Valley and the bill was still figured by counting up the plates. A Caucasian couple was seated within earshot and were clearly unfamiliar with the offerings so they asked the server what they were.  She lifted the lid from the first stack of steamers on her cart and tilted one so they could see the contents and shouted, "MEAT INSIDE!"  She did the same with her next stack, a completely different item, and again loudly intoned, "MEAT INSIDE!"  and yes, she said the same thing a third time for her last offering.   I can't remember what the items were but I think one was shrimp, one pork and maybe something with chicken.   Those diners could certainly have used that field guide! 

My granddaughter is a Mandarin student and has had three trips to China.  It didn't help.  At least when I'm with her we don't have to order from the Caucasian menu.  But I suspect dim sum does not have much to do with Mandarin.

• Like 2