• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

I think this may have been on sale before...but not sure:

Travis Lett's "Gjelina: Cooking from Venice, California" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

From my BookBub email this morning:

A little pricier that what I normally post...

Anthony Bourdain's "Appetites: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

These arrived in my Taste email:

"Wolfgang Puck Cookbook: Recipes from Spago, Chinois, and Points East and West" Kindle Edition $1.99US

No list of recipes but you can see some of them by using the "Look Inside" feature and scrolling down.

"The Second Avenue Deli Cookbook: Recipes and Memories from Abe Lebewohl's Legendary Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This has been on sale before...but I am posting it in case someone missed it first time 'round...

Alexandra Stafford's "Bread Toast Crumbs: Recipes for No-Knead Loaves & Meals to Savor Every Slice" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, kayb said:

I contemplated the Bourdain this morning when my BB email arrived. This pushed me over the edge.

Me too. I also bought Gjelina today. I don't know whether to curse or thank you and Toliver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

From this morning's BookBub email:

Peter Reinhart's "Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the Look Inside" feature to see the list of Master Recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, Toliver said:

Peter Reinhart's "Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the Look Inside" feature to see the list of Master Recipes.

@Toliver, I have an older friend back in Canada who is not interested in joining eGullet but I do pass bits of info on to her now and then from here. She is a dedicated bread-baker and I mentioned this book was on sale and she was so tickled, I wanted you to know that you do make some people's day with your info. (And I would have bought her the book as a gift so that eGullet could get a few pennies from it, but Amazon won't allow me to do that between our two countries anymore, though they used to!)

Thank you! I ordered it right away and I am really going to love going through it. I would never have noticed myself so thank you a lot. That's the second nice thing so far today. A great day. 

• Like 7

From today's Taste email:

Pickling queen Karen Solomon's "Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Sort of Kindle Single-ish (meaning not a ton of recipes). Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes and scroll further down to see a few of the recipes themselves.

"Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I've been waiting a long time for this to finally be sale-priced:

Slightly more expensive than the regular cookbooks I post about...
Mimi Sheraton's "The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Tim Oliver

Had to spring for the German cookbook. I do so love German food.

Going to be in Dallas the last half of this week. Any great German restaurants there? We're going as a group to some Mexican place that's supposed to be tops, and I may count my pennies and go to Al Biernat's one night.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Zak Pelaccio's "Eat with Your Hands" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside Feature" to see the list of recipes. IMHO, a lot of the recipes are...unusual. Plus, you can scroll down to see part of one recipe.

I am a US Prime Member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Thanks, I went with Negrin's.  Though I had not heard of her.  Anyone who lives on a small lake in New Jersey can't be all bad.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

We have a new member, @pedromariachi, who lives in Brazil and who recommended this book. When I checked, I saw it was on sale for the Kindle version at $3.99 and decided to grab a copy. 

Brazilian Food (by chef Thiago Castanho)

Thanks, I bought the Kindle.  But the book is clearly promotional.  It calls for Amazonian ingredients.

• Haha 5

This afternoon I found a cookbook of note at a low price but not the usual sale-price:

Gabrielle Hamilton's "Prune: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $4.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes for the first chapter followed by the recipes.

Tim Oliver

One of these cookbooks came in my morning BookBub, and after going down an Amazon rabbit hole I came across the other two. I apologize if any of these cookbooks have been posted before:

Charles Phan's "The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature so see the list of recipes.
There are also 3 recipes from the cookbook on its Amazon info page (as downloadable PDF files).

Molly Yeh's "Molly on the Range: Recipes and Stories from An Unlikely Life on a Farm" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And priced slightly more than the usual sale-priced cookbook:
Dominique Crenn's "Atelier Crenn: Metamorphosis of Taste" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature so see the list of recipes. However, be forewarned what may sound straight-forward may not be. From the blurb/cookbook description:
"Even the dishes that sound familiar, like Fish and Chips, or Broccoli and Beef Tartare, challenge the expected with their surprising components and her signature creative plating."

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 4/2/2019 at 12:57 AM, Toliver said:

It's a new month but there weren't, IMHO, many sale-priced cookbooks listed this month on Amazon. Here's the slim pickings I found today:

Ruth Reichl's "Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This is one of the best food books I ever read, highly suggested. It's also a great ode to a friend, big humanity in her writing.

50 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Dominique Crenn's "Atelier Crenn: Metamorphosis of Taste" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature so see the list of recipes. However, be forewarned what may sound straight-forward may not be. From the blurb/cookbook description:
"Even the dishes that sound familiar, like Fish and Chips, or Broccoli and Beef Tartare, challenge the expected with their surprising components and her signature creative plating."

If you like top restaurant cookbooks, then this is more than a must at that price. Those dishes are almost impossible to make at home, so it's not a cookbook with direct use for the home cook. If you are interested in reading the thought process and the personal feelings behind world class dishes, then this is one of the best books out there.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

1 minute ago, teonzo said:

This is one of the best food books I ever read, highly suggested. It's also a great ode to a friend, big humanity in her writing.

Alas, it's no longer available at the sale price Toliver posted.

• Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Ouch, sorry. With some luck and patience it will get discounted again.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

One of these cookbooks came in my morning BookBub, and after going down an Amazon rabbit hole I came across the other two. I apologize if any of these cookbooks have been posted before:

Charles Phan's "The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature so see the list of recipes.
There are also 3 recipes from the cookbook on its Amazon info page (as downloadable PDF files).

Molly Yeh's "Molly on the Range: Recipes and Stories from An Unlikely Life on a Farm" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I already had The Slanted Door.  I've cooked from it.  But I was gouged for $2.99.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'm guessing you're not in the US.

I just clicked on the link in my post and it still has that same posted price on the Amazon page for that cookbook ($3.99US).

Sorry about that!

Tim Oliver