• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Marcus Samuelsson's The Red Rooster Cookbook: The Story of Food and Hustle in Harlem $2.99

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I clicked on "buy it now" only to be told that I already had.😊

It was previously on sale last August. You probably picked it up back then.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Two odd fellows this evening:

This cookbook has been on sale before - I am reposting due to the Top Chef connection -

Former Top Chef contestant "Kristen Kish Cooking: Recipes and Techniques" Kindle Edition $1.99US

For this next one, a little background...I fell down a Google/Pinterest rabbit hole trying to find recipes for Chef Paul Prudhomme's spice mixes. In his later cookbooks his recipes call for some of his Magic Seasoning mixes, without telling you what the ingredients/spices were. I didn't want to invest time or money in trying to find/buy all of his spice blends. Turns out that in his earlier cookbooks he posted the recipes for his seasoning mixes with each recipe! 

This cookbook is one of the early ones that contain the seasoning recipes. You can use the "Look Inside" feature to see this in a couple of the recipes in the cookbook.

No brickbats please...I'm forewarning you it's not really an "on-sale" cookbook as you will see from the price. But knowing the recipes for his spice mixes might make it worth it.

"Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Tastes: Exciting Flavors from the State that Cooks" Kindle Edition $6.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 4

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

Rick Bayless' "Mexican Everyday" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Yes!...if you use the "Look Inside" feature you can see the list of recipes in the cookbook.

This is one of Rick's other cookbooks that has been on sale before and is on sale again:

Rick Bayless' "Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This has been on sale in the past. I am reposting it in case anyone missed it the first time:

Winner, IACP Awards 2013- Baking: Savory or Sweet
Winner, James Beard Foundation Award 2013 -Baking and Dessert

Ken Forkish's "Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This one is new to this on-sale discussion:

Ali Maffucci's "Inspiralize Everything: An Apples-to-Zucchini Encyclopedia of Spiralizing" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Generally well reviewed, there is one less enthusiastic review that says some of the recipes are "off".

The author has other Spiralize-themed cookbooks (that are not currently on sale) which you can view on her Amazon author's page.

Tim Oliver

Coming completely out of left field:

Endorsed by George R. R. Martin himself, "A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Lots of good reviews.

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

6 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Yes, perhaps not my cup of tea, but people really love it! And for anyone who's into that series, a very small cost for a companion-type book. How did you discover it?

13 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Yes, perhaps not my cup of tea, but people really love it! And for anyone who's into that series, a very small cost for a companion-type book. How did you discover it?

It was in my daily BookBub email.

Speaking of which...from this morning's BookBub email:

Giada De Laurentiis' "Giada's Family Dinners" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

These came in today's TASTE email...some may have been posted before:

"The Meatball Shop Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There are links on this cookbook's Amazon info page leading to 3 recipes from the cookbook.

"Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats" Kindle Edition $2.99US

No list of recipes but if you use the "Look Inside" feature you can see some of the recipes.

Cynthia Chen McTernan's "A Common Table: 80 Recipes and Stories from My Shared Cultures" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

Food Network star of "The Heartland Table" Amy Thielen's "The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

No list of recipes but if you use the "Look Inside" feature you can see some of the recipes.

The Amazon info page for this cookbook contains 3 links to PDF files of 3 recipes from the cookbook.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From my daily BookBub email:

From QVC, David Venable's "In the Kitchen with David: QVC's Resident Foodie Presents Comfort Foods That Take You Home: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

No list of recipes. However, if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down, you can see a few of the recipes from the cookbook.

I m a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

A new month, some new titles:

Fergus Henderson's "The Complete Nose to Tail" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There may be a list of recipes but I couldn't get the "Look Inside" feature to work (the server kept timing out).

A memoir (no recipes):

"As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the popular San Francisco restaurants and Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market food stand, Tacolicious, "Tacolicious: Festive Recipes for Tacos, Snacks, Cocktails, and More" Kindle Edition $2.99US

John LaFemina, the chef/restaurateur who created New York's Ápizz restaurant "A Man and His Meatballs: The Hilarious but True Story of a Self-Taught Chef and Restaurateur" Kindle Edition $1.99US
A sort of "how to" open your own restaurant book with recipes.

"Turkish Recipes!: A Turkish Cookbook with Kitchen Tested Turkish Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I believe this has been posted in the past:

"Mastering the Art of French Eating: From Paris Bistros to Farmhouse Kitchens, Lessons in Food and Love" Kindle Edition $1.99US
A memoir of sorts with a recipe at the end of each chapter.

A reference book "Kitchen Confidant: An Indispensable Guide for the Baker, Drinker, and Cook" Kindle Edition $.60US

"Sweetie Pie's Cookbook: Soulful Southern Recipes, from My Family to Yours" Kindle Edition $1.99US
She's a celebrity chef (according to the Amazon info page). There is a list of recipes but unfortunately, the text is blue on a dark purple background making it completely illegible. 

David Solmonson's "The 12 Bottle Bar: A Dozen Bottles. Hundreds of Cocktails. A New Way to Drink" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the blogger of the same name "The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop, and Table Hop Like a Pro (Almost)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Bon Appétit columnist Marie Simmons' "The Amazing World of Rice: with 150 Recipes for Pilafs, Paellas, Puddings, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Priced slightly more than the regular sale-priced cookbooks:
"The Union Square Cafe Cookbook: 160 Favorite Recipes from New York's Acclaimed Restaurant" Kindle Edition $3.99US
No list of recipes but if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down, you can see some of the recipes.

Last month it was a Game of Thrones cookbook, this month it's something a little different:

"Doctor Who: The Official Cookbook: 40 Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes which were completely alien to me. ;) Well reviewed by Doctor Who fans.

• Like 5

Tim Oliver

On 3/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, Toliver said:

There may be a list of recipes but I couldn't get the "Look Inside" feature to work (the server kept timing out).

I checked the "Look Inside" feature again today and it loaded fine. Go figure...

There is a list of recipes, plus you can scroll down and view a few of the recipes from the cookbook.

Tim Oliver

On 3/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, Toliver said:

Works now, but, of course, there's no index! GRRRrrr!!! :angry:

Bought it anyway.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

These sale-priced cookbook titles arrived in my email:

Maya Angelou's "Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Alexandra Raij's "The Basque Book: A Love Letter in Recipes from the Kitchen of Txikito" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Diana Kuan's "The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There are 4 recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page, that can be downloaded as PDF files.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may  vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I found out something the other day which can sometimes be useful.  It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.  When you click on a book link and it takes you to the amazon link, and you click on the "look inside" button, you often don't get an index.  It you toggle to the hard copy version and then click on "look inside" you sometimes get a different preview which includes the index.  It didn't work today for The Chinese Takeout Cookbook but it has worked for some others.

• Like 3

I have a hard copy of Maya Angelou's book. It's delightful to read. At $2.99 the Kindle version is a bargain.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

These sale-priced cookbook titles arrived in my email:

Maya Angelou's "Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Alexandra Raij's "The Basque Book: A Love Letter in Recipes from the Kitchen of Txikito" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Diana Kuan's "The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US
There are 4 recipes from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon info page, that can be downloaded as PDF files.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may  vary.

Being a huge fan of Maya Angelou, had to get that one.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Get the Maya Angelou book. The recipes are average. The stories are priceless, and well worth many times the $2.99. The story that goes with the caramel cake is my very favorite.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

You can hardly walk the halls of Amazon's sale-priced cookbooks currently without tripping over Ireland-related cookbooks. I am posting these first two because of their low prices.

According to her Amazon author's page, Margaret M. Johnson seems to write quite a bit about Irish food and said variations. Use the "Look Inside" feature with both books to see the list of recipes:

"The Irish Pub Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.20US

"Irish Puddings, Tarts, Crumbles, and Fools: 80 Glorious Desserts" Kindle Edition $1.20US

Not Irish-related but England-related:

Royal cake maker Fiona Cairns' "Seasonal Baking: Celebrating the Baking Year With Classic Cakes, Cupcakes, Biscuits and Delicious Treats" Kindle Edition $1.99US

No list of recipes, but use the "Look Inside" feature to see some of the recipes.

Tim Oliver

I may yet buy the Maya Angelou book, just so I can have it when traveling, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I did, however, buy the Irish Pub Cookbook (just in time!) because it looks like it has some recipes I'll enjoy. That, in turn, led me to

Real Irish Food: 150 Classic Recipes from the Old Country for $1.99. The Amazon writeup alone was irresistable.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

27 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I may yet buy the Maya Angelou book, just so I can have it when traveling, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I did, however, buy the Irish Pub Cookbook (just in time!) because it looks like it has some recipes I'll enjoy. That, in turn, led me to

Real Irish Food: 150 Classic Recipes from the Old Country for $1.99. The Amazon writeup alone was irresistable.

I purchased the Kindle version the other say.  I remembered that when the book first came out, I had wanted to buy it but didn't want to spend the money.  I was happy to pay $1.99 for it.  I can't say I like Kindle books much though.  I'd rather have hard copies.  But then, I only know how to use Kindke by flipping over one page at a time.   There must be an instruction book called "How to use your Kindle for Dummies" but I haven't been able to find it.😳

• Like 2