• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

Originally published in 1954, this edition has a foreward by Julia Child.
Elizabeth David's "Italian Food (Penguin Classics)" Kindle Edition $1.99US
If you are considering purchasing this ebook, please read the first review on this books' Amazon Info page which discusses (in their opinion) the Kindle version's short-comings.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Found this afternoon:

This may have been on-sale before...

James Beard Award-winning writer, David Leite's "The New Portuguese Table: Exciting Flavors from Europe's Western Coast" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I normally don't post "diet" cookbooks, but this is from Eating Well magazine and I thought would make this one exception:

"EatingWell Soups: 100 Healthy Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email, eGullet member @JAZ's Instant Pot cookbook!

Janet A. Zimmerman's "Instant Pot® Obsession: The Ultimate Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook for Cooking Everything Fast" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. 

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you as always for taking the time to do this.

I was initially underwhelmed with Bento Power.  Some of it Is personal bias against anything purporting to be  “power” food or “health” food.  I consider most food to be both powerful and healthy. I also consider a well packed Bento to be healthy enough without quinoa, millet or hemp. But a second look suggests there might be one or two ideas worth pursuing. Without you I might not have even given it a second look. 

Dammit. Thanks to Amazon I can look back and see that I paid almost $19 For the Kindle edition. I think I might feel better about it at $.99. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you as always for taking the time to do this.

<snip>

Dammit. Thanks to Amazon I can look back and see that I paid almost $19 For the Kindle edition. I think I might feel better about it at $.99. 

I managed to overspend, too. A week or so ago I finished Elizabeth Bard's Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes, which I had purchased for $2.99 thanks to Toliver's post here. What a delightful book! I decided to see whether Ms. Bard had published more since then, and was pleased to see that she had. Maybe it was because I wasn't wearing my glasses, but it was only after I'd hit the "buy" button that I realized I'd purchased her Picnic in Provence: a Memoir with Recipes for $9.99 instead of the $0.99 I thought I was paying. It wasn't on sale after all.

Oh, well. I love a bargain, but I also like the idea of helping support a writer.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I managed to overspend, too.

I did the same thing but with my eyes wide open. I loved her first book, which I got on sale, so much I didn’t mind paying for the second one.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More sale-priced cookbooks from this afternoon:

A caveat on this first one...

Winner of the Gourmand World Cookbook Award, Best Bread Book, Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Bread Bible" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The Kindle edition is allegedly not very good (see the negative reviews on the Amazon info page for this cookbook). You may want to wait to see if Amazon eventually fixes their Kindle edition before purchasing.

"LudoBites: Recipes and Stories from the Pop-Up Restaurants of Ludo Lefebvre" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Big Book of Casseroles: 250 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $1.20US

Wesley Avila's "Guerrilla Tacos: Recipes from the Streets of L.A." Kindle Edition $2.99US

Hugh Acheson's "A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I think this next cookbook is over-priced...50 recipes? Bah! >:(

"The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch" Kindle Edition $2.99US

EDITED TO ADD:

Luke Barr's "Provence, 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, and the Reinvention of American Taste" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, Toliver said:

Two from this morning's perusal:

The classic...

M. F. K. Fisher's "Consider the Oyster" Kindle Edition $2.51US

Since the digital list price is $2.99, $2.51 is not much of a sale.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Since the digital list price is $2.99, $2.51 is not much of a sale.

I shook my fist at Amazon for you for their temerity regarding such a poor sale price. How dare they. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Tim Oliver

Slim pickin's this afternoon:

Michael Pollan's "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Grand Forks: A History of American Dining in 128 Reviews" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Like it says in the title, it's a collection of restaurant reviews revealing the changes in American Dining over the years.

"Brother Jimmy's BBQ: More Than 100 Recipes for Pork, Beef, Chicken, & the Essential Southern Sides" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The author is the owner of Brother Jimmy's BBQ in NY. Negative reviews say the recipes are not all related to southern BBQ.

Also, 100 recipes is a little skimpy, IMHO.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Brother Jimmy's BBQ: More Than 100 Recipes for Pork, Beef, Chicken, & the Essential Southern Sides" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The author is the owner of Brother Jimmy's BBQ in NY. Negative reviews say the recipes are not all related to southern BBQ.

Also, 100 recipes is a little skimpy, IMHO.

BBQ in NY is a very mixed bag, some really good, some okay, and much a waste of good meat. Understand that I have no expertise in 'southern', I go for want to lick my fingers and if I were home lick the plate tasty.Having eaten at Brother Jimmy's...once... I left much behind on the plate.  $2.99 is $2.99 too much.

Tim Oliver

A new month and new cookbooks on sale. There were some previously-on-sale cookbooks that I am not relisting (with one exception). You can check them out for yourself on the Amazon Kindle Deals section.

"The Art of Eating" Kindle Edition
by Joan Reardon (Author, Editor), M.F.K. Fisher (Author) $2.99US

On sale again:    
Paula Wolfert's "The Food of Morocco" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Chef Mourad Lahlou's "Mourad: New Moroccan" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Helen Le's "Simply Pho (Simply ...)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Gianaclis Caldwell's "Mastering Basic Cheesemaking: The Fun and Fundamentals of Making Cheese at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Cowgirl Creamery Cooks" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Cheese, cheese, and more cheese...how to deal with it, store it, etc, and 75 recipes using cheese, too.

Sweden's most popular baking blogger Linda Andersson's "Homemade Bread" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Jane Soudah's, winner of the Spring Baking Championship, "Delightful Desserts: The Secrets to Achieving Incredible Flavor in Your Sweet Treats" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Unusual flavors...see the book description for more info.

Tatyana Nesteruk's "The European Cake Cookbook: Discover a New World of Decadence from the Celebrated Traditions of European Baking" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Better Homes and Gardens Jams and Jellies: Our Very Best Sweet & Savory Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Better Homes and Gardens I Didn't Know My Slow Cooker Could Do That: 150 Delicious, Surprising Recipes (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Betty Crocker Fresh from the Freezer" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Elisabeth Bailey's "The Make-Ahead Sauce Solution: Elevate Your Everyday Meals with 61 Freezer-Friendly Sauces" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Kathy Strahs 's "The Ultimate Panini Press Cookbook: More Than 200 Perfect-Every-Time Recipes for Making Panini - and Lots of Other Things - on Your Panini Press or Other Countertop Grill" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Eat Like a Gilmore: The Unofficial Cookbook for Fans of Gilmore Girls" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Two from this afternoon...one slightly higher priced that's been on sale before:

Alaska from Scratch blogger Maya Wilson's "The Alaska from Scratch Cookbook: Seasonal. Scenic. Homemade" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There some sample recipes on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

And the slightly higher-priced cookbook that has been on sale before:

Alice Waters' "Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza, & Calzone: A Cookbook (Chez Panisse Cookbook Library)" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Tim Oliver

What pisses me off is they don't include the index in the "Look Inside" bullshit!

That leads to a lot of lost sales!!! MORONS!!! :angry:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What pisses me off is they don't include the index in the "Look Inside" bullshit!

That leads to a lot of lost sales!!! MORONS!!! :angry:

I agree 100%. Unless I'm really, really sure I want the book, if there is not an index that means I can't really see what I am buying = no sale.

• Like 1

This morning, one cookbook from my BookBub email and two others that may have been posted before:

Françoise Branget's "French Country Cooking: Authentic Recipes from Every Region" Kindle Edition $1.99US

A negative review mentioned the cookbook seemed so very authentic that the ingredients (e.g., eel) were difficult to source.

These two may have been posted in the the past:

Andrea Nguyen's "The Banh Mi Handbook: Recipes for Crazy-Delicious Vietnamese Sandwiches" Kindle Edition $2.99US

For some reason, I had trouble getting the Amazon link to post properly. In case my linking doesn't work correctly, the ASIN number is B00HTMCABO.

Desmond Tan and Kate Leahy's "Burma Superstar: Addictive Recipes from the Crossroads of Southeast Asia" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

Some interesting discoveries this afternoon:

Known for her cooking school in France, it's Anne Willan's "The Country Cooking of France" Kindle Edition $2.40US
No listing of recipes but if you use the "Look Inside" feature you can see some recipes if you scroll down.

He's the winner of 6 James Beard awards...James Peterson's "Kitchen Simple: Essential Recipes for Everyday Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

Texas food writer Robb Walsh's "The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Domenica Marchetti's "The Glorious Pasta of Italy" Kindle Edition $1.80US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

Molly Gilbert's "One Pan & Done: Hassle-Free Meals from the Oven to Your Table" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Surprisingly nice photos (seen by using the "Look Inside" feature).

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 2/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, Toliver said:

A new month and new cookbooks on sale. There were some previously-on-sale cookbooks that I am not relisting (with one exception). You can check them out for yourself on the Amazon Kindle Deals section.

"The Art of Eating" Kindle Edition
by Joan Reardon (Author, Editor), M.F.K. Fisher (Author) $2.99US

I apparently missed this post, but ran across this book while perusing kindle cookbook deals on amazon. Bought it and am reading it, my first venture into M.F.K. Fisher.

My God, the woman is a brilliant writer! I think I'm in love.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Two from this afternoon:

Curtis Stone's "Good Food, Good Life: 130 Simple Recipes You'll Love to Make and Eat: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

No list of recipes but if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down you can see a couple of recipes from the book.

Suzanne Lenzer's "Graze: Inspiration for Small Plates and Meandering Meals" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the you see may vary.

Tim Oliver