• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

On 12/14/2018 at 12:19 PM, Toliver said:

I've been keeping an eye on that one, hoping it will, eventually, go on sale.

It will. I have it. I don't remember if it was 1.99 or 2.99, but it wasn't more than that. I have a running list in my head of books I paid more than four dollars for because it is rare I haven't seen them on sale afterword. The one I have never seen on sale is "The Cake Bible". I would love to have that one in electronic format. But I'm hanging in there waiting. 😉

• Like 3

One found this morning thanks to my BookBub email...the other found down a rabbit hole:

"The Ski House Cookbook: Warm Winter Dishes for Cold Weather Fun" Kindle Edition $1.99US

No list of recipes but if you use the "Look Inside" feature, you can scroll down to see a listing of the "Breakfast" recipes.

"Baked Occasions: Desserts for Leisure Activities, Holidays, and Informal Celebrations" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Found this afternoon...slightly more expensive than the usual sale-priced books I post:

Leela Punyaratabandhu's "Bangkok: Recipes and Stories from the Heart of Thailand" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

Found this afternoon...slightly more expensive than the usual sale-priced books I post:

Leela Punyaratabandhu's "Bangkok: Recipes and Stories from the Heart of Thailand" Kindle Edition $3.99US

For some reason amazon assures me that I own this.  I have no recollection.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Can't believe the Ski House cookbook didn't tempt me, as much as I love winter meals. But the breakfast recipes didn't look that different from stuff I already do. I escaped this morning!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Found a couple more sale items this afternoon, with one slightly more expensive book.

With a forward and contributions from Mario Batali, Colman Andrews' "Country Cooking of Italy" Kindle Edition $1.80US

Using the "Look Inside" feature shows me just blank pages. Not sure if it's the same vor everyone.
The info blurb about the book states "230 sumptuous recipes".

Blogger LeAnn Rice's "The Loving Kitchen: Downright Delicious Southern Recipes to Share with Family, Friends, and Neighbors" Kindle Edition $2.49US

No list of recipes, but if you use the "Look Inside" feature you can scroll down and some recipe listings further down in the book and actual recipes.

"Better Homes and Gardens Fast or Slow: Delicious Meals for Slow Cookers, Pressure Cookers, or Multi Cookers (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

No list of recipes. Seems to be trying to be all things to all audiences.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a the list of Appetizer recipes further into the book.

And slightly more expensive:

"Smoking Meat: Ultimate Smoker Cookbook for Real Pitmasters, Irresistible Recipes for Unique BBQ: Book 2: [Smoker Cookbook, Smoked Meat, Barbecue Cookbook, Smoker Guide, Smoking Meat Cookbook]" Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

Michelin-starred chef and Vie restaurant owner Paul Virant's "The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux" Kindle Edition $1.99US
No list of recipes, per se, but if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down you can see a list recipes for Summer preserves, as well as some sample recipes.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email:

Michelin-starred chef and Vie restaurant owner Paul Virant's "The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux" Kindle Edition $1.99US
No list of recipes, per se, but if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down you can see a list recipes for Summer preserves, as well as some sample recipes.

Oh, yeah. Had to spring for that one.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, jer_vic said:

It looks like book 1 is on sale as well, $0.99

https://www.amazon.com/Smoking-Meat-Recipes-Smoked-Unique-ebook/dp/B07BK6P5K6

Thanks!

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Some sale items from my BookBub and just by nosing around:

Chef Larry Edwards' "Style and Spice: Over 200 Recipes from the American Southwest" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Finally, a cookbook with a list of recipes. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see it.

Giada De Laurentiis' "Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Matt Pellegrini's "The Art of Baking Bread: What You Really Need to Know to Make Great Bread" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Clotilde Dusoulier's "Tasting Paris: 100 Recipes to Eat Like a Local" Kindle Edition $2.99US

And this has been posted before in the past, but it's on-sale again and worth reposting in case anyone missed it:

Diana Kennedy's "The Essential Cuisines of Mexico" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

One, Top Chef-related and slightly more than the normal sale-price:

From Amazon's info page for his cookbook:
"A badass modern Cajun cookbook from Top Chef fan favorite Isaac Toups and acclaimed journalist Jennifer V. Cole, featuring 100 full-flavor stories and recipes."

Includes a forward by Emeril.
"Chasing the Gator: Isaac Toups and the New Cajun Cooking" Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

A recent post in the Dinner thread by @Anna N got me thinking about this sale-priced cookbook that has been floating around Amazon, un-posted until now:

Chef Tadashi Ono and food journalist Harris Salat's "Japanese Hot Pots: Comforting One-Pot Meals" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Well-reviewed in general.

Tim Oliver

12 minutes ago, Toliver said:

A recent post in the Dinner thread by @Anna N got me thinking about this sale-priced cookbook that has been floating around Amazon, un-posted until now:

Chef Tadashi Ono and food journalist Harris Salat's "Japanese Hot Pots: Comforting One-Pot Meals" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Well-reviewed in general.

How could I pass it up?  Many thanks for all the work you do to add value to @rotuts stock portfolio.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Two bargains, two slightly more than bargains...

Thai food...

Chef Kris Yenbamroong's "Night + Market: Delicious Thai Food to Facilitate Drinking and Fun-Having Amongst Friends" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook (Food52 Works)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Slightly more expensive than regular sale-priced cookbooks:
"Be the BBQ Pitmaster: A Regional Smoker Cookbook Celebrating America's Best Barbecue" Kindle Edition $3.90US

Slightly more expensive...
Yvette van Boven's "Home Made Winter" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Some negative reviews mentioned some of the recipes didn't turn out like they should have...but most of the reviews are positive. Needless to say, let the buyer beware.
No list of recipes, but using the "Look Inside" feature, you can see the recipes start right away in the book.

After December's poor showing of sale-priced books (with Pepin being the exception) January should bring a new listing of sale-priced cookbooks. I will post any i find of interest in a few days.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

It's a new month so new cookbooks are on sale. While it's a better offering than we got in December, unfortunately, a lot of the cookbooks have been on sale before so I won't be listing them again. Please take a look at them on Amazon in case you might find something of interest for yourself.

"Rasika: Flavors of India" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Sweet Book of Candy Making" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Sally McKenney is a successful blogger who has written a series of cookbooks. 
The first on-sale cookbook is "Sally's Baking Addiction" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. This is a revised edition adding a chapter for healthier dessert options (vegan, gluten-free).

Another of her cookbooks is on sale:
"Sally's Candy Addiction" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Sally McKenney is a successful blogger who has written a series of cookbooks. 
The first on-sale cookbook is "Sally's Baking Addiction" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. This is a revised edition adding a chapter for healthier dessert options (vegan, gluten-free).

Another of her cookbooks is on sale:
"Sally's Candy Addiction" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Sally's Cookie Addiction is also on sale for $2.99 for the Kindle version, also by Sally McKenney

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Sally's Cookie Addiction is also on sale for $2.99 for the Kindle version, also by Sally McKenney

She has another cookbook out, "Sally's Baking Addiction Best New Cookies" for $.99US but it has only 8 recipes in it. :hmmm:

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Classic German Baking is on for $1.99. I'm grateful to Amazon for telling me I already have it. 

It's been posted in this discussion before...which is when you may have purchased it. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Classic German Baking is on for $1.99. I'm grateful to Amazon for telling me I already have it. 

Same.  Though I have yet to open it.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Some more sale-priced cookbooks found this afternoon and a food-related historical book, as well:

"The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some of the recipes.

"Fondue" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Eileen Yin-Fei Lo's "Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.40US

Warren Brown, owner of CakeLove bakeries' "CakeLove: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch" Kindle Edition $2.99US

All of those baked goods with names you can't pronounce or that you've never heard of that they made on the British Bake-Off seem to have surfaced in this cookbook "Crème de la Crème" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the Amazon info page for this cookbook: 
“Fans of Donna Leon’s mysteries set in Venice and starring her cosmopolitan detective, Commissario Guido Brunetti, will be delighted to have this cookbook” (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel).
"Brunetti's Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US
This includes excerpts from the detective books and some essays by the author.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some of the recipes.

Not a cookbook but a historical look at the Cod:
1999 James Beard Award winner Mark Kurlansky's "Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World 1st Edition", Kindle Edition $1.99US

I an a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver