• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

The last of the month's offerings...new cookbooks are likely to begin appearing tomorrow with the advent of December.

A New York Times "Notable Book", Aglaia Kremezi's "The Foods of the Greek Islands: Cooking and Culture at the Crossroads of the Mediterranean" Kindle Edition $2.99US
No list of recipes that I could see. The book does contain recipes plus info on the islands and the culture.

Blogger and author Mimi Thorisson's "French Country Cooking: Meals and Moments from a Village in the Vineyards" Kindle Edition $2.99US
No list of recipes.

Brit Giuseppe Mascoli's "Franco Manca, Artisan Pizza to Make Perfectly at Home" Kindle Edition $.99US
No list of recipes.

Mary Lou Heiss's "The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide" Kindle Edition $1.99US
No recipes...a sort of historical guide all about tea.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's a new month but surprisingly there aren't a lot of new cookbooks on sale on Amazon. A lot of last month's sale-price cookbooks are still hanging around.

Amy Kimoto-Kahn's "Simply Ramen (Simply ...)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

The following two cookbooks have been previously on sale...reposting:
"Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul" in the Kitchen Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Essential Pépin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food" Kindle Edition with Audio/Video $2.99US

This is supposed to have video/audio supplements, like the print-version.

And a new-ish Pépin:

Jacques Pépin's "A Grandfather's Lessons: In the Kitchen with Shorey" Kindle Edition $2.99US
A how-to aimed at kids, includes recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

It's a new month but surprisingly there aren't a lot of new cookbooks on sale on Amazon. A lot of last month's sale-price cookbooks are still hanging around.

Amy Kimoto-Kahn's "Simply Ramen (Simply ...)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The following two cookbooks have been previously on sale...reposting:
"Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul" in the Kitchen Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Essential Pépin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food" Kindle Edition with Audio/Video $2.99US

This is supposed to have video/audio supplements, like the print-version.

And a new-ish Pépin:

Jacques Pépin's "A Grandfather's Lessons: In the Kitchen with Shorey" Kindle Edition $2.99US
A how-to aimed at kids, includes recipes.

Damn you. I do not NEED another cookbook. But I have one. 700 Jacques Pepin recipes? Who could resist?

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Damn you. I do not NEED another cookbook. But I have one. 700 Jacques Pepin recipes? Who could resist?

...especially with audio and video...yes, I caved too...

I suddenly had a vision of when I'll have time to read all these cookbooks I'm accumulating. There I'll be in the Assisted Living complex, so daft they'll have deactivated my stove and oven lest I start a fire...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For those who are sugar-conscious, the Kindle book of Joanne Chang's Baking with Less Sugar is currently $1.99. (I'm a US Prime member; YMMV.) The introduction talks exactly about this subject, and when you can cut back on sugar without ill effects. The first chapter in the book is baked goods with less sugar added to the mix. Other chapters focus on other ways of sweetening your baked goods, including fruits, maple syrup, honey, and even just using the sugar present in chocolate. I've enjoyed the whole book, and for me the recipes have worked beautifully.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

For those who are sugar-conscious, the Kindle book of Joanne Chang's Baking with Less Sugar is currently $1.99. (I'm a US Prime member; YMMV.) The introduction talks exactly about this subject, and when you can cut back on sugar without ill effects. The first chapter in the book is baked goods with less sugar added to the mix. Other chapters focus on other ways of sweetening your baked goods, including fruits, maple syrup, honey, and even just using the sugar present in chocolate. I've enjoyed the whole book, and for me the recipes have worked beautifully.

KA-CHING!!!!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

...especially with audio and video...yes, I caved too...

I suddenly had a vision of when I'll have time to read all these cookbooks I'm accumulating. There I'll be in the Assisted Living complex, so daft they'll have deactivated my stove and oven lest I start a fire...

Was going to order the Pepin 700 recipe one but when I walked by my bookcase, sure enough, it was sitting in my bookcase.  No idea where the video went.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Was going to order the Pepin 700 recipe one but when I walked by my bookcase, sure enough, it was sitting in my bookcase.  No idea where the video went.

Well, if you buy the Kindle book you'll have the video again! :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

One found this afternoon:

With a foreward by Alice Medrich, Amy's Guittard's "Guittard Chocolate Cookbook: Decadent Recipes from San Francisco's Premium Bean-to-Bar Chocolate Company" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

With a foreward by Alice Medrich, Amy's Guittard's "Guittard Chocolate Cookbook: Decadent Recipes from San Francisco's Premium Bean-to-Bar Chocolate Company" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Sadly this seems more making desserts out of chocolate than making chocolate.  I passed.  (Unusual, I know).

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

One from this afternoon:

2013 Finalist, James Beard Foundation Award, Baking & Dessert, Valerie Gordon's "Sweet" Kindle Edition $2.51US

No list of recipes. 

Tim Oliver

One from this morning that, I believe, has been on sale before.

"At Home with Magnolia: Classic American Recipes from the Founder of Magnolia Bakery" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Not just baked goods...this includes other types of recipes.

Tim Oliver

She used to be known as the Cake-Mix Doctor. She's branching out...

Anne Byrn's "American Cake: From Colonial Gingerbread to Classic Layer, the Stories and Recipes Behind More Than 125 of Our Best-Loved Cakes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

It's the #1 Best Seller in Amazon's Gastronomy History, which I didn't even know was a category.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I have her Bread Bible in dead-tree edition. It's marvelous.

I've been keeping an eye on that one, hoping it will, eventually, go on sale.

Tim Oliver