• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

From this morning's BookBub email...a cookbook published 8 years ago:

A James Beard Award–winning field guide...Mark Bitterman's "Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Two from this afternoon's perusal:

Chef Spike Mendelsohn's "The Good Stuff Cookbook: Burgers, Fries, Shakes, Wedges, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature for the list of recipes.

Giuliano Hazan's "Hazan Family Favorites: Beloved Italian Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

With a forward from Marcella Hazan.

Please read some of the negative reviews to see what detractors are saying about this cookbook.

I am a US Prime member and the prices you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

It's an odd day...lots of new sale titles. But whether they're Kindle Single-ish or real cookbooks remains to be seen. It's also odd that so many cookbooks these days don't bother to list their recipes in their indexes.

"Simply Delicious Amish Cooking: Recipes and stories from the Amish of Sarasota, Florida (The Pinecraft Collection)" Kindle Edition $.99US

Not sure if this is a good Amish cookbook or not but since it's on sale I will post it. It has a lot of good reviews.

James Beard Award–winning Linda Gassenheimer's "Dinner in Minutes: Memorable Meals for Busy Cooks" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Look, Ma! There's a recipe index here! Use the "Look Inside feature to see the recipes.

"The Julia Child of Ireland" Darina Allen's "Grow, Cook, Nourish" Kindle Edition $.99US
An odd combo...a gardening book with 500 recipes using what you grow. Using the "Look Inside" feature, scroll down to almost the end to find a very long list of Vegetable Recipes. I would assume there may also be a list for each of the other titles in the Main Index (Fruit, etc).

The winner of the first series of The Great British Bake Off in 2010, Edd Kimber's "Patisserie Made Simple: From macaron to millefeuille and more" Kindle Edition $.99US

Winner of the third series of The Great British Bake Off John Whaite's "Comfort: food to soothe the soul" Kindle Edition $.99US

No recipe index, per se, but if you use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll halfway through you can find some recipe titles, and scroll further down to see a couple of recipes.

Nargisse Benkabbou's "Casablanca: My Moroccan Food" Kindle Edition $.99US

Rawia Bishara's "Olives, Lemons and Za'atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $.99US

And this was on sale once before but not in Canada. I am re-posting it in case this time (hopefully) it is on sale in Canada:

"Fress: Bold, Fresh Flavours from a Jewish Kitchen" Kindle Edition $.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Thanks, @Toliver...I think...:blink:..."Casablanca" and "Olives, Lemons and Za'atar" (hey, they were only $0.99 each) led me also to

Turkish Delights: Stunning regional recipes from the Bosphorus to the Black Sea 

and 

The Indian Cookery Course

Both are also $0.99 specials. Not that I need any more Indian or Middle Eastern cookbooks so much as I need to use them. Hey, maybe if I sleep with my tablet under my pillow I'll absorb all this electronic information by osmosis. I think I tried that with high school chemistry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thanks, @Toliver...I think...:blink:..."Casablanca" and "Olives, Lemons and Za'atar" (hey, they were only $0.99 each) led me also to

Turkish Delights: Stunning regional recipes from the Bosphorus to the Black Sea 

and 

The Indian Cookery Course

Both are also $0.99 specials. Not that I need any more Indian or Middle Eastern cookbooks so much as I need to use them. Hey, maybe if I sleep with my tablet under my pillow I'll absorb all this electronic information by osmosis. I think I tried that with high school chemistry.

...works for some chemicals I hear.

Three more cookbooks for me.  I note The Indian Cookery Course is almost a thousand pages.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A quick post as I head out for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend:

Named one of the top 20 new cookbooks of 2018 by the Independent "Gunpowder: Explosive flavours from modern India" Kindle Edition $.99US

I have no idea what the Independent is or where it is, so take that with a grain of salt. 

"The Homemade Kitchen: Recipes for Cooking with Pleasure" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Lots of positive reviews...but no recipe index.

"Holiday Cookies: Showstopping Recipes to Sweeten the Season" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Lots of positive reviews...and this one has a recipe index! Ta-da!

"The B.T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Revival" Kindle Edition $1.99US

No recipe index but using the "Look Inside" feature you can see a few recipes scrolling towards the bottom. Lot of positive reviews.

There were a couple other cookbooks that were sale-priced but they either didn't have any reviews or the reviews for the cookbooks were "iffy". They sort of looked like Kindle "singles" or those books where the author copy and pasted recipes from the internet and called it a "book". I always take a look at the author's other cookbooks. If there are a kabillion cookbooks, you may want to stay away from that author. Just my opinion...

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Melissa Clark's Instant Pot books have been on sale on Amazon. 

Right now, Dinner in an Instant is $3.99 on Amazon US and it even looks like it might be on sale on Amazon Canada as well.  (Not sure if this link will properly take you to Amazon Canada or not, it seems to revert to US when I use it down here. If that makes any sense.) 

Comfort in an Instant was on sale yesterday for $3.99 but when I went to post about it, it had gone back up in price. If interested, it may be worthwhile to keep checking the price. 

Edited by FauxPas
to explain Canadian link (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.amazon.ca/B-T-C-Old-Fashioned-Grocery-Cookbook-Southern-ebook/dp/B00FDS7AM0?_bbid=11061737&tag=bookbubemailca-20

The B.T.C. Old Fashioned Grocery Cookbook is on sale, kindle version, $1.99 on Amazon.ca

Couldn't resist.

This is one of the coolest books, and one of the coolest places, I've ever seen. If you're ever in the vicinity of Water Valley, Miss., I highly encourage you to stop by.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

46 minutes ago, kayb said:

This is one of the coolest books, and one of the coolest places, I've ever seen. If you're ever in the vicinity of Water Valley, Miss., I highly encourage you to stop by.

Damn your enabling soul!   I’m really not into southern cooking. No offense. But I’m always in for a good story and a good bargain.  At $1.99 it’s a cheap thrill I can afford.

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Damn your enabling soul!   I’m really not into southern cooking. No offense. But I’m always in for a good story and a good bargain.  At $1.99 it’s a cheap thrill I can afford.

I caved on that one too. My solace is that I bought it the first day Toliver pointed it out, so kayb's comment is more confirmation than enabling. 

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I caved on that one too. My solace is that I bought it the first day Toliver pointed it out, so kayb's comment is more confirmation than enabling. 

Not that I don’t consider @Toliver a well-practised and talented enabler, this time the blame lies wholly with @kayb.

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Always proud to be of assistance. :) And y'all come on down to Water Valley, MS. (where you have to be intending to go to get there, as it is not on the way to anywhere).

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The first two postings have been on sale before (1 year ago and two years ago, respectively):

Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

IMHO, it's worth buying just for the "World Peace" cookie recipe.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Baking Bible" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

I take full credit for this one being on sale...I just looked at it when it was full-priced and now it's on sale...Go Mojo! :laugh:

Lucinda Scala Quinn's "Mad Hungry Family: 120 Essential Recipes to Feed the Whole Crew" Kindle Edition $2.51US

No main list of recipes but the chapters do have their own recipe lists. Use the Look Inside" feature to see this.

Steven Raichlen's "Project Smoke: Seven Steps to Smoked Food Nirvana, Plus 100 Irresistible Recipes from Classic (Slam-Dunk Brisket) to Adventurous (Smoked Bacon-Bourbon Apple Crisp)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Named one of the Best Cookbooks of the Year by Food & Wine, The Boston Globe, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, USA Today, The Washington Post, and more, Uri Scheft's  "Breaking Breads: A New World of Israeli Baking--Flatbreads, Stuffed Breads, Challahs, Cookies, and the Legendary Chocolate Babka" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers's "Mexican Food Made Simple" Kindle Edition $.99US

British Mexican food? Thomasina Miers's "Wahaca - Mexican Food at Home" Kindle Edition $.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to the list of recipes.

Again, I credit my mojo for this next one being reduced-price...not quite bargain-priced but just above:

Scott Conant's "The Scarpetta Cookbook: 125 Recipes from the Acclaimed Restaurant" Kindle Edition $3.99US
There are three downloadable recipes from the book on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
No list of recipes but by using the "Look Inside" feature and scrolling down, you can see a number of recipes from the cookbook.

Edited by Toliver
to embellish descriptions (log)

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Huh. Just looked at Breaking Breads, and it's back up to $9.99. I'm a US Prime member.

Oh, well, didn't really need another bread book.

It seems "Mad Hungry" and "Project Smoke" have also had price increases. And I just don't understand the all-too-brief time on sale.

My apologies to all. They were bargain-priced when I originally posted them.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver