• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

A new month, more cookbooks on sale.

A lot of the Kindle ecookbooks on sale this month have been on sale before...let the buyer beware. I am posting a mix of "new to this on-sale discussion" through "it's been on sale before". There were a number of cookbooks on sale that cost a little bit more than the usual "$2.99US or less" and I would recommend you peruse the sale cookbooks on your own to see what is not being posted here.

Two from Dorie Greenspan that have been on sale before:

Dorie Greenspan's "Around My French Table: More than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Dorie Greenspan's "Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Bobby Flay's "Brunch at Bobby's: 140 Recipes for the Best Part of the Weekend" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"James Beard's Theory and Practice of Good Cooking" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Basic cooking techniques but well reviewed...300 recipes, I believe.

Padma Lakshmi's "The Encyclopedia of Spices and Herbs: An Essential Guide to the Flavors of the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US

A resource book. I don't think it includes any recipes. Reviews say the photos are great.

Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Luca Manfé's "My Italian Kitchen: Favorite Family Recipes from the Winner of MasterChef Season 4 on FOX" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Verdura: Vegetables Italian Style" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Berry Bible: With 175 Recipes Using Cultivated and Wild, Fresh and Frozen Berries" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes.

"Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook Revised and Expanded Edition" Kindle Edition $2.99US

America's Test Kitchen's "The Complete Make-Ahead Cookbook: From Appetizers to Desserts 500 Recipes You Can Make in Advance" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Cooking with Nonna" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the Editors of Garden and Gun: "The Southerner's Handbook: A Guide to Living the Good Life" Kindle Edition $1.99US

The author gave me pause...essays from the magazine along with recipes.

"The Complete Mushroom Hunter" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes that are sorted by the vegetable used in the recipes.

Slightly more expensive but well-reviewed 
Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Pie and Pastry Bible" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes.

I am a US prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver
Missing word/Poor use of English (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver, I could buy you a drink damn nearly every day and not beat what you're costing me in cookbooks. Had to spring for Bobby Flay, whom I don't much like, but brunch is my very favorite meal both to cook and to eat. And the Garden and Gun book (if you have not discovered Garden and Gun, you should; it's marvelous, and not nearly as Second Amendent-ish as it sounds).

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The yin & yang of bargain-priced books on Amazon...the first book has 225 recipes. The second cookbook has 75 recipes. Both currently selling for the same low price.

"Ultimate Appetizer Ideabook: 225 Simple, All-Occasion Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee's "Quick & Easy Korean Cooking: More Than 70 Everyday Recipes (Gourmet Cook Book Club Selection (Paperback))" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Had to spring for the appetizer book. Those and brunch are my favorite things to cook. And eat.

Damn you!  I had resisted and thought I was in the clear but like you, my favourite things to make and to eat are little dishes. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Damn you!  I had resisted and thought I was in the clear but like you, my favourite things to make and to eat are little dishes. 

Happy to take my turn as Enabler of the Day.

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I started with my BookBub email pick and found the other three international-themed cookbooks along the way:

"Country Cooking: 175 Fun and Flavorful Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Coconut. Ginger. Shrimp. Rum.: Caribbean Flavors for Every Season" Kindle Edition $1.20US

"Food From Across Africa: Recipes to Share" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Spain: Recipes and Traditions from the Verdant Hills of the Basque Country to the Coastal Waters of Andalucia" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.
Scroll down to see the very odd layout of the recipes themselves. All of the measurements/ingredients aren't laid out plainly to see...they're lumped together into a paragraph. I guess that's one way to make sure you read the cookbook carefully.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

I started with my BookBub email pick and found the other three international-themed cookbooks along the way:

"Country Cooking: 175 Fun and Flavorful Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Coconut. Ginger. Shrimp. Rum.: Caribbean Flavors for Every Season" Kindle Edition $1.20US

"Food From Across Africa: Recipes to Share" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Spain: Recipes and Traditions from the Verdant Hills of the Basque Country to the Coastal Waters of Andalucia" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Scroll down to see the very odd layout of the recipes themselves. All of the measurements/ingredients aren't laid out plainly to see...they're lumped together into a paragraph. I guess that's one way to make sure you read the cookbook carefully.

I have a copy of Spain, and you must be looking at something other than what I'm seeing.  After an explanation of the recipe the ingredients are laid out line by line in English and metric units.  Then follow the numbered steps to prepare the recipe.  Cookbooks can't get much clearer.  One small complaint for a Kindle book, some of the techniques are referenced to a different page for directions.  I dislike having to flip around through a Kindle book.  However when these off page references are given there is a hyperlink to make navigation less painless.

I also have Morocco by the same author.  Highly recommended.  Unlike with recipes in @Wolfert's wonderful books covering the same cuisines there does not seem to be stuff left out or left to imagination.  Granted I have not made as wide an assortment of these recipes as I have from Wolfert, although a shrimp recipe has been a staple (or at least was back when I could get good shrimp).

Edit:  I checked the "look inside" preview and indeed the ingredients appear as @Toliver says.  Thankfully my copy of the book is not formatted that way!

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And I had to pick up a copy of Coconut. Ginger. Shrimp. Rum.: Caribbean Flavors for Every Season.  Any book that extolls rum as a wonder drug is good enough for me.

• Haha 1

I found this cookbook this afternoon.

It has a similar title to one of her other cookbooks, "Everyday Italian..." which is still sale-priced. See the link for that cookbook in the top post on this page.

Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Pasta" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email...plus one other I found stumbling around:

"Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes: 400 Recipes for Poultry, Meat, Seafood, and Vegetables" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes (400!) from the book.

"Preservation Pantry: Modern Canning From Root to Top & Stem to Core" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes, sorted by the fruit/veggie/spice involved in the recipe.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

On 11/1/2018 at 10:13 PM, Porthos said:

You got me with the Encyclopedia of Spices and Herbs.

I appreciate having all of the various chile- chili-chilli peppers in one place.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

From my BookBub email this morning:

Winner of the International Association of Culinary Professionals Award for best baking book...Named to the James Beard Baker’s Dozen list of thirteen indispensable baking books of all time -

Carol Field's "The Italian Baker, Revised: The Classic Tastes of the Italian Countryside--Its Breads, Pizza, Focaccia, Cakes, Pastries, and Cookies" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There's a recipe from the book for a Pear Tart on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.
One reviewer said there weren't enough pictures of finished recipes. Another reviewer said a lot of illustrations in the original book were replaced by photographs in the revision. YMMV.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

33 minutes ago, Toliver said:

From my BookBub email this morning:

Winner of the International Association of Culinary Professionals Award for best baking book...Named to the James Beard Baker’s Dozen list of thirteen indispensable baking books of all time -

Carol Field's "The Italian Baker, Revised: The Classic Tastes of the Italian Countryside--Its Breads, Pizza, Focaccia, Cakes, Pastries, and Cookies" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There's a recipe from the book for a Pear Tart on the Amazon info page for this cookbook.
One reviewer said there weren't enough pictures of finished recipes. Another reviewer said a lot of illustrations in the original book were replaced by photographs in the revision. YMMV.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

And so.....she added another Kindle book to her rapidly growing collection.  Thank you @Toliver.    What I REALLY need is a book on candy making,  not chocolate particularly, but fudge, hard candies, toffies, etc.

See if you can get hold of a copy of Candymaking by our very own @Chocolot— Ruth Kendrick. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

And so.....she added another Kindle book to her rapidly growing collection.  Thank you @Toliver.    What I REALLY need is a book on candy making,  not chocolate particularly, but fudge, hard candies, toffies, etc.

Candy Is Magic

Was $1.99 when it was posted.

• Like 1

Some new cookbooks from today's TASTE email, some previously posted but notable cookbooks on sale again:

Yotam Ottolenghi's "Ottolenghi: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There are two recipes you can download on this cookbook's Amazon info page.
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the main index followed by a long list of recipes included in the book. Scroll down towards the end to see a few actual recipes.

"Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the main index followed by a long list of recipes included in the book. Scroll down towards the end to see a few actual recipes.

"Tartine All Day: Modern Recipes for the Home Cook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the Amazon info page for this cookbook:
"A comprehensive cookbook with 200 recipes for the way people want to eat and bake at home today, with gluten-free options, from James Beard Award-winning and best-selling author Elisabeth Prueitt, cofounder of San Francisco's acclaimed Tartine Bakery."
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes included in the book.

Karen Mordechai's "Sunday Suppers: Recipes + Gatherings" Kindle Edition $1.99US
No listing of a recipe index, but she's posting menus and the recipes for them. You can see some recipes using the "Look Inside" feature.

Not sure if this is a Kindle "single" since it only has 60 recipes in it:
"The Southern Slow Cooker: Big-Flavor, Low-Fuss Recipes for Comfort Food Classics" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The cookbooks below have been on sale before...I'm re-posting them in case anyone missed them the first time. Note that the David Chang cookbook has a slightly higher price than the normal bargain-priced books that I post:

Eric Ripert's "Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity" Kindle Edition $2.99US

David Chang's "Momofuku" Kindle Edition $3.99US

There is a recipe for "Ginger Scallion Noodles and Ginger Scallion Sauce" posted on this cookbook's Amazon info page. 

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition): 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Lidgate's: The Meat Cookbook: Buy and cook meat for every occasion" Kindle Edition $.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Two that I found this evening:

Lucinda Scala Quinn's "Lucinda's Rustic Italian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US
You may recognize her from her "Mad Hungry" series or as a co-host of "Everyday Food".

"The Farmer's Cookbook: A Back to Basics Guide to: Making Cheese, Soups and Stews, Curing Meat, Preserving, Baking Bread, Fermenting, Pies and Cookies, and More (The Handbook Series)" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Organized by months of the year, each month has it's own list of recipes. 
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see a sample of this.

Tim Oliver