• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Today's discoveries...

This one is not quite sale-priced, but close:

Tom Colicchio's "Craft of Cooking: Notes and Recipes from a Restaurant Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Alice Waters' "The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Mimi Thorisson's "A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in My Farmhouse" Kindle Edition $1.99US
There are three recipes on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

America's Test Kitchen's "The Complete Make-Ahead Cookbook: From Appetizers to Desserts 500 Recipes You Can Make in Advance" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Over 400+ pages, 500 recipes. Probably culled from their previous books, but this isn't just a Kindle single-type cookbook with only a handful of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Some of these have been lingering in the Kindle monthly deals...others may have already been posted for which I will apologize for any duplication of effort:

I used to subscribe to Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" magazine until the month they published a recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich. Really? O.o

That being said, here's a couple non-Martha cookbooks on sandwiches:

"Simple Italian Sandwiches: Recipes from America's Favorite Panini Bar" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Perfect Panini: Mouthwatering Recipes for the World's Favorite Sandwiches" Kindle Edition $2.23US

"Better Homes and Gardens 365 Comfort Foods" Kindle Edition $2.99US

It seems like every time I turn around on Amazon, there's a new Persia-related cookbook...

Chef and "Lucid Food" blogger Louisa Shafia's "The New Persian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

There are also two sample recipes posted in this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Chocolatier Fritz Knipschildt's "Chocopologie: Confections & Baked Treats from the Acclaimed Chocolatier" Kindle Edition $2.99US

One disappointed reviewer said this is less about making chocolates/candy (mentioned there's only a recipe for truffles in it) than it is about chocolate-centered recipes for desserts and other foods.

There is a recipe for some rather pale-looking "Chocolate–Peanut Butter Cookies" from Chocopologie posted on this cookbook's Amazon info page.

Not a cookbook but a travelogue...eating his way through Vietnam...
"Eating Viet Nam: Dispatches from a Blue Plastic Table" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

A couple more I found this afternoon...The first two in the list are not the usual sale-bargain-priced...just a wee bit above that but the two books are from Williams-Sonoma so they may be of interest to some.

"Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day: 365 recipes for every day of the year" Kindle Edition $3.74US

Please read the reviews before purchasing. One of the reviews mentioned that the Kindle version is not the most recent version of this book and that the recipes may differ a little between the two versions.

William-Sonoma's "Soup of the Day" Kindle Edition $4.46US

This is supposed to be a revised version of the original book, with 100 new recipes added (see the Amazon info page for this cookbook for a listing of some of the new recipes).

"Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This was issued to go along with the film of the same name. I'm thinking most if not all of the recipes had to be from Julia's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" but I do not know this for certain, or from which volumes the recipes are from.

Chef Isabel Cruz’s "The Latin Table: Easy, Flavorful Recipes from Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Beyond" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

So far I've resisted the siren call of Toliver's latest offerings, but I confess that while following one of his leads I discovered something I couldn't resist:  Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from Her Savannah Table. The windup alone, written by culinary historian John T. Edge, is worth the price. The stories and reminiscences that I've seen also promise fun reading. If I get even a few good recipes from the 300+ recipes here, this book will be a winner: the current Kindle price is $1.99.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

One from a BookBub email, the other found down the rabbit hole:

"The Art of Living According to Joe Beef: A Cookbook of Sorts" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the Canadian restaurant of the same name. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipes.

"Egg Shop: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the NYC restaurant brunch & cocktail restaurant "The Egg Shop". Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the many breakfast/cocktail recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 10/23/2018 at 9:44 AM, kayb said:

I did the same, and read it through last night. Oh...my....God. I can't wait to try some of those recipes. Marvelous sounding stuff.

Sheesh. The title did nothing for me. I could have continued to ignore you and ElsieD but NOOoo...I just had to take a peek inside....

It's downloading now.

• Haha 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This first one is from my BookBub email...the other I stumbled across...

"Brindisa: The True Food of Spain" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Though there doesn't seem to be a list of recipes, you can use the "Look Inside" recipe to see one sample recipe , I believe. It looks like this book uses metric/weights in its recipes.

"Fix-It and Forget-It Lazy and Slow Cookbook: 365 Days of Slow Cooker Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Using the "Look Inside" feature, there isn't a list, per se, of recipes. The book is set up by season. But each season does have a list of recipes.

An interesting thing is they suggest weekly menus and provide a list of ingredients (pantry and fresh) that are used with each weekly menu; a feature that reviewers seemed to like.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I had the hardbound copy of the Fix-it and Forget-It slow cooker book, and I'm not sure I ever cooked from it before I gave it away! I don't recall anything particularly wrong with the recipes, but they didn't appeal as much as the concept did. I think perhaps it was because they usually involved more steps (browning the meat first, for instance) than I wanted to deal with for a crockpot. That was some time ago. I might appreciate it more now, and for $1.99 it isn't much of a risk for the curious. Still, I'll be able to resist it.

Brindisa, on the other hand, looks interesting. If someone takes the plunge, please report back. 

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

An interesting thing is they suggest weekly menus and provide a list of ingredients (pantry and fresh) that are used with each weekly menu; a feature that reviewers seemed to like.

I started taking one cookbook off the shelf per week and picking out the week's recipes from that cookbook, making a list of what I needed, and then going out to buy the stuff.  As the week toddles along I then only have to buy say, fresh fish or whatever I couldn't stock up on in the initial major grocery trip.  One big advantage of this is that my stand up freezer is slowly being emptied which is a good thing seeing as the pork tenderloin (vac packed) that I pulled out of the freezer two days ago had been put there in Nov. 2017.  This week's pick which I am about to go through is Storm the Kettle, a cookbook based on what is grown and eaten in Newfoundland.  I will be doing that this afternoon.

Edited to add: "Storm the Kettle" in Newfoundlandspeak means " to boil water hastily in a kettle for a 'mug up' or a cup of tea.

Mods: If this post is considered off-topic please move or delete.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I had the hardbound copy of the Fix-it and Forget-It slow cooker book, and I'm not sure I ever cooked from it before I gave it away! I don't recall anything particularly wrong with the recipes, but they didn't appeal as much as the concept did. I think perhaps it was because they usually involved more steps (browning the meat first, for instance) than I wanted to deal with for a crockpot. That was some time ago. I might appreciate it more now, and for $1.99 it isn't much of a risk for the curious. Still, I'll be able to resist it.

Brindisa, on the other hand, looks interesting. If someone takes the plunge, please report back. 

I went for Brindisa and also made the mistake of clicking on the preview of The Egg Shop.  So, sorry Smithy, I'm reading Egg Shop first.  I confess I gravitated to the bread section.  I wanted to see how they made their baguettes.  Lots of pictures and detailed instruction, but I had a couple of good laughs:

The ingredients call for 15 grams of Kosher salt but the recipe never says to add the salt.  Then they suggest cold proofing the formed dough:  "This is a little truth bomb that will give you fish-eye blisters, the little round bubbles that appear on the crust of really well-made breads of all kinds."  Never mind in The Taste of Bread Raymond Calvel calls the crust bubbles on baguettes baked from retarded dough a defect.

Speaking of The Taste of Bread I see there is now a Kindle version!  At $69.42 it is a bargain, but whether $69.42 is a crazy good bargain I will leave to other's judgement.  I have the hardcover of The Taste of Bread and I see it is now going for $199.90.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker - I was going to laugh at your first two paragraphs of response, but then I read the third. At that point I'd have been giving a 'wow'or a 'confused' or - well, I'm still not sure, but it wouldn't have been a laugh. Thanks, at any rate, for the early warning on the reliability of The Egg Shop's bread notes.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 6:07 PM, Toliver said:

"Egg Shop: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From the NYC restaurant brunch & cocktail restaurant "The Egg Shop". Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the many breakfast/cocktail recipes.

So I am forced to confess that this book is among those in my Kindle collection. Apparently I did at least begin to read it at some point and then became distracted.  

A check back with Amazon tells me that it cost me almost $20!  Damn.  Still I am enjoying it now.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Toliver

Thanks for taking all time time to post the eBook bargains! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

@Toliver

Thanks for taking all time time to post the eBook bargains! :)

You're welcome. I post them as I encounter them. :cool:

I forgot to post this first non-cookbook sale-priced yesterday given the season:

Agatha Christie's "Hallowe'en Party: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot series Book 36)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Cookbooks!:

David Lebovitz's "The Great Book of Chocolate: The Chocolate Lover's Guide with Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

José Andres' "Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Christine Ha's "Recipes from My Home Kitchen: Asian and American Comfort Food from the Winner of MasterChef Season 3 on FOX" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Some may remember her as the legally blind contestant who won Season 3.

Lauryn Chun's "The Kimchi Cookbook: 60 Traditional and Modern Ways to Make and Eat Kimchi" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes for different kimchis and then recipes to make with kimchi as an ingredient.
Plus, on the cookbook's Amazon info page, there's a recipe from the book for Quick Cucumber and Chive Kimchi.

Also, please note that I came across a lot of ecookbooks that have been previously on sale, on sale again. I'm not posting them since I've posted them before and don't want to be redundant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

I bought the Egg Shop ebook. :)

• Like 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Also bought The Kimchi Cookbook:)

I don't know where else to post this, so if a moderator deletes it, I get it.

One of the specific things I've doing is using this thread (thank you so much, @Toliver) to buy on-sale books, with an emphasis on Italian cooking, that were of the few ingredients cooked well variety. I've made several meatless main dish pasta meals from them this year.

In the St Cuthberts kitchen at the Northern California Renaissance Faire, one of the offerings on the menu I inherited is Trader Joe's Tortellini. We cook up 2 pounds and immediately pour a jar of sauce over it. The carry-over heat is enough to heat up the sauce. One Sunday this year I discovered that we were out of sauce. A year ago I would have panicked about how to sauce the tortellini. This year I calmly grabbed a sauce pan, melted 2 sticks of butter, added some parsley then put in a generous cup of Kraft Parmesan cheese (something someone else brought which we lovingly call parm dust) and sauced the tortellini. It tasted just fine. I am glad that I still like to learn new things.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;