• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

My apologies if anyone is disappointed in my posting...

Yeah my bank account says thanks or wait ...  is that what it really says?   Carry-on regardless. Your good work is appreciated even by this Canadian who only rarely benefits in comparison to US members. 🙂

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to all for the kind words. 

I do hope others are also looking through the Amazon Kindle cookbooks for the bargain-priced books. My knowledge of who's who in the cooking world is limited though expanding daily and I might not post something that should be posted due to my ignorance. Hopefully, someone else will post what I might miss.

I also randomly click on a cookbook (no matter the price) and then look on the page that opens for the listing of "Customers Also Bought..." and have found some bargains that way.

That being said, here are some bargain-priced cookbooks that may be of interest (though the first listing is slightly higher in price than what I normally post):

Australian-born chef Chris Honor's "Chriskitch: Big Flavours from a Small Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

The BBC's "Saturday Kitchen Cooking Bible: 200 Delicious Recipes Cooked in the Nation's Favourite Kitchen" Kindle Edition $.99US

Based upon the BBC's TV series. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some of the very British recipes.

Miriam Gonzalez Durantez's "Made In Spain: Recipes and stories from my country and beyond" Kindle Edition $.99US

The "Look Inside" features shows the list of recipes and not much else.

Blogger-turner FoodTV Host and winner of the Judges' Choice IACP Cookbook Award Molly Yeh's "Molly on the Range: Recipes and Stories from An Unlikely Life on a Farm" Kindle Edition $2.99US

No recipes are listed in the "Look Inside" feature but the first review on the page lists some recipes from the book.

"WECK Small-Batch Preserving: Year-Round Recipes for Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tolliver,

Thanks so much for your postings.  I find that Amazon often has something for a day or maybe hours. I missed the ATK Bread book (yeah, I would have gone there), but that is not your fault. 

Here's the thing, I prowl their book listings. Often I have found those you have listed. Often I have not. Sometimes something will interest me that perhaps not interest you. You help me out. I truly feel that enabling others to fuel their relatively safe in the scheme things cookbook addiction as cheaply as possible is a boon and a mitzvah and a kindness to be appreciated. 

You are appreciated, and I am grateful. Broker, but grateful. 😉

• Like 2

Perusing the latest list on EYB, I picked up the Kindle version of Zingerman's Bakehouse for $2.99.  The paper version was published last fall and there are some very good reviews. This one and all the books mentioned below are the same 2.99 price on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

Also in the baking realm, Joanne Chang's Flour, Too is another $2.99 Kindle bargain

Ditto for Tartine Bread (which I bought last year at this price) and Tartine 3.

I own the paper version of Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi and have cooked a lot from it.  The Kindle version is currently $2.99

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few new Kindle offers that I noted over on the EYB list.   All are $2.99 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

Dorie's Cookies and Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi.  I believe both of these have been offered at this price in the past, at least on Amazon.com, not sure about .ca

I have the paper version of Edward Lee's Buttermilk Graffiti, I've plugged it before over on the cookbooks topic and it's absolutely worth a read.  

The paper version of Morimoto's Mastering the Art of Japanese Home Cooking is $38 so I'm not likely to spring for it, but I might go for this $2.99 Kindle version

The Kindle version of a book that @Anna N mentioned just upthread, Better Homes and Gardens 13x9 The Pan That Can: 150 Fabulous Recipes is now $2.99.

Editing to add one more: I clicked "Buy" on  A Literary Tea Party: Blends and Treats for Alice, Bilbo, Dorothy, Jo, and Book Lovers Everywhere. It's $1.99 (sadly NOT on Amazon.ca) and sounds like it might be fun to read. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have the paper version of Edward Lee's Buttermilk Graffiti, I've plugged it before over on the cookbooks topic and it's absolutely worth a read.  

Yes! Yes! Yes! 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The paper version of Morimoto's Mastering the Art of Japanese Home Cooking is $38 so I'm not likely to spring for it, but I might go for this $2.99 Kindle version

Have both the hardcopy and the Kindle version.   I am definitely on the fence about this one. Not sure at the moment what bothered me about the book but something certainly did.  Perhaps I should revisit and discover what it was rather than cast aspersions without any back up. 😯

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Perusing the latest list on EYB, I picked up the Kindle version of Zingerman's Bakehouse for $2.99.  The paper version was published last fall and there are some very good reviews. This one and all the books mentioned below are the same 2.99 price on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

Also in the baking realm, Joanne Chang's Flour, Too is another $2.99 Kindle bargain

Ditto for Tartine Bread (which I bought last year at this price) and Tartine 3.

I own the paper version of Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi and have cooked a lot from it.  The Kindle version is currently $2.99

Had to go with Zingerman's.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

37 minutes ago, kayb said:

Had to go with Zingerman's.

I've been waiting for the price to drop on that cookbook.

It's a new month so there are a bunch of new Kindle cookbooks on sale on Amazon. Due to their slightly-higher-than-sale-price I won't post a lot of them. I think they are worth looking at.

For example, the over 500 pages America's Test Kitchen "Cook's Illustrated Baking Book" Kindle Edition $3.99US  is such a book.

To see this month's Kindle cookbooks on sale (I've previously posted these instructions) go to Amazon's Kindle Books web page, click on "Kindle Book Deals" which is located at the center top of the page underneath the black strip of info. On the new page you're taken to, on the left hand side of the web page, click on the category "Cookbooks Food, and Wine". This will sort out all of the Kindle cookbooks currently on sale.

There are a number of ATK cookbooks currently on sale (which is odd...last week they were on sale and then they weren't...make up your minds ATK!), some worthy (see above)...some ATK cookbooks are just culled recipes from their older cookbooks. Let the buyer beware.

Here are some more Kindle sale cookbooks I found that haven't been posted yet (I think!).

"Small Victories: Recipes, Advice + Hundreds of Ideas for Home Cooking Triumphs" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Better Homes and Gardens "The Ultimate Soups & Stews Book: More than 400 Satisfying Meals in a Bowl (Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Book 43)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am sure I may stumble across a few more but will post them later.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I found this sale-priced cookbook today:

"The Sullivan Street Bakery Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes...sections 7 and 8 of the recipes are interesting for a bakery cookbook.

edited to remove a misplaced apostrophe.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I found this sale-priced cookbook today:

"The Sullivan Street Bakery Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes...sections 7 and 8 of the recipes are interesting for a bakery cookbook.

edited to remove a misplaced apostrophe.

Thanks, I went with it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

$36.90 amazon.ca  too bad, I'd have liked that one.

Amazon.com/kindle store/whatever it is, lets me buy it @$2.99 (USD).  I'm in Victoria, BC.  Because I'm technically below the 49th parallel, maybe their geolocation software thinks I'm in the US?

Edited by jer_vic
badde speler... (log)

28 minutes ago, jer_vic said:

Amazon.com/kindle store/whatever it is, lets me buy it @$2.99 (USD).  I'm in Victoria, BC.  Because I'm technically below the 49th parallel, maybe their geolocation software thinks I'm in the US?

I looked at the amazon.com site and the Kindle edition is listed at 28.80.  I am not a prime .com member which may be why the $2.99 price doesn't show.  Thanks for the tip, though.

My BookBub email this morning recommended this cookbook:

"Authentic Polish Cooking: 120 Mouthwatering Recipes, from Old-Country Staples to Exquisite Modern Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

However, one of the review mentions the cookbook seemed to be missing recipes for certain Polish food genres (e.g., Polish bread recipes)

So then I found this (different category...not Polish) cookbook on sale that was very well-reviewed:

"Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily" Kindle Edition $1.99US
There isn't a list of recipes but three recipes from the cookbook can be downloaded from the Amazon info page for this book (follow the link above).
Using the "Look Inside" feature there isn't a typical listing of the recipes but you can see that the recipes are grouped by their region in Italy.
One reviewer did say there weren't enough photos of the completed food.

Tim Oliver

54 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My BookBub email this morning recommended this cookbook:

"Authentic Polish Cooking: 120 Mouthwatering Recipes, from Old-Country Staples to Exquisite Modern Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

However, one of the review mentions the cookbook seemed to be missing recipes for certain Polish food genres (e.g., Polish bread recipes)

IMO this is a much better Polish cookbook, usually quite pricey but currently on sale (Kindle Edition):

From a Polish Country House Kitchen: 90 Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food Kindle Edition $2.99US

(I'm a US Prime member and the price you see may vary)

• Like 2
"She was a recluse," he said. "Her idea of a good time was to sauté mushrooms at midnight with a brandy and watch Dracula."

1 hour ago, zakuska said:

IMO this is a much better Polish cookbook, usually quite pricey but currently on sale (Kindle Edition):

From a Polish Country House Kitchen: 90 Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food Kindle Edition $2.99US

Thanks!  I went for it.  From a Polish Country House Kitchen is a gorgeous book.  I know nothing about Polish food but the recipes are interesting.

However I can't help but think the amazon reviewers are writing about one of the other books by Applebaum.

1 hour ago, zakuska said:

I got that one a week or so back. Read it through. It looks wonderful.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I looked at the amazon.com site and the Kindle edition is listed at 28.80.  I am not a prime .com member which may be why the $2.99 price doesn't show.  Thanks for the tip, though.

I'm not a Prime Member either.  I did have some weirdness, though.  I only started downloading kindle books at all when I discovered this thread.  I was able to download ~6 or 7, and then it stopped working, complaining about them not being available in my region.  I chatted with Amazon tech. support, and whatever they did, I was able to then resume buying/downloading stuff.  I'm keeping my head down, and enjoying the ride while it lasts.

• Like 1

I think all 3 of these cookbooks may have been on sale before:

"The New Persian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipe listing.

"Michael Symon's 5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Southern Heirloom Cooking: 200 Treasured Feel-Good Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

No listing of specific recipes. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some of the actual recipes included in the book.

Tim Oliver

I may or may not have read The New Persian Kitchen (and I believe it is currently on display behind the desk where I work) but I bought it anyway.

• Like 1

This isn't a dirt-cheap bargain price, but the Indian Instant PotTM Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy and Fast, by Urvashi Pitre, is currently on sale at Amazon for $6.99. I was reminded of the book by a post on the Curry Cook-off topic, and once again Amazon reminded me that I already had it. :laugh:

Incidentally, the book is free for Kindle Unlimited members. I'm not one of them.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown