• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

This morning's sale item was on sale last year. I am posting it again in case someone didn't catch it the first time.

Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Why am I even looking at this? My credit card alerted me via text message that someone tried to use it for a couple of unauthorized purchases (airline tickets, each just under $2000, both transactions declined). I've cancelled the card and am awaiting the new one, but until then, Amazon doesn't have a valid payment method for me!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Just now, MelissaH said:

Why am I even looking at this? My credit card alerted me via text message that someone tried to use it for a couple of unauthorized purchases (airline tickets, each just under $2000, both transactions declined). I've cancelled the card and am awaiting the new one, but until then, Amazon doesn't have a valid payment method for me!

Not funny about the credit card alarm, but think of the money you're saving!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

51 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Not funny about the credit card alarm, but think of the money you're saving!

I'm just glad such things exist, and that the technology worked for me. The real nuisance will come with the new card, when I need to update everywhere that uses it.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

This morning's sale item was on sale last year. I am posting it again in case someone didn't catch it the first time.

Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US prime member and the price you see may vary.

I was about to click but this seems to be the older edition, not the new one.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

That's exactly what happened to me a while back.  Now I keep two credit cards active

in case one gets hijacked again.

On 9/4/2018 at 5:10 PM, ElsieD said:

Sadly, the Ice Cream book is no longer on sale.

Is this the ice cream cookbook you were looking for? It's still bargain-priced. It's puzzling to me that it's not the same price for you.

"Ample Hills Creamery: Secrets and Stories from Brooklyn's Favorite Ice Cream Shop" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Other sale-priced cookbooks:

"Mustards Grill Napa Valley Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Moosewood Cookbook: 40th Anniversary Edition" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"From a Polish Country House Kitchen: 90 Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"B. Smith Cooks Southern-Style" Kindle Edition $.99US

Two that are slightly above the level of the usual sale-priced cookbooks but may be of interest to some:

(the cookbook below has been on-sale before but it was short-lived)

"Fress: Bold, Fresh Flavours from a Jewish Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

"The Ginger & White Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

edited to claify

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

@Toliver  Yes, thank you, that is the one I was looking for.  On Amazon.com the Kindle edition is $15.69 but I am not a Prime member.  I am a Prime member of Amazon.ca but their Kindle edition shows at over $20.  So, no Ample Hills Creamery ice cream book for me.  But then, Christmas is coming........

Edited to add: an index of recipes doesn't show up either.  All I get is the intro.  Any good looking caramel types?

Edited by ElsieD (log)

Two today...one slightly above bargain-price:

"Little Book of Jewish Appetizers" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

"Chriskitch: Big Flavours from a Small Kitchen" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Tim Oliver

Not cookbooks, but food-related:

Two-time James Beard Award nominee Jeff Benjamin's "Front of the House" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There is an excerpt from this book on this book's Amazon page to give you the "flavor" of the book.

This was published a year and a half ago, It's sale-priced today: 

Michael Ruhlman's "Grocery: The Buying and Selling of Food in America" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

5 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Thank you.  I sprung for the apple book.

Tim Oliver

So the Kindle Deals for cookbooks went from one page to nine pages all of a sudden. The listings may be worth looking through as I didn't post everything that may be of interest (some listings were slightly higher than bargain-priced, too).

You may have to break open your piggy banks. Look...it's Vivian and Dorie!

These first two are not bargain sale-priced but they're comparatively low next to their normal prices:

Vivian Howard's "Deep Run Roots: Stories and Recipes from My Corner of the South" Kindle Edition $4.99US

"Christopher Kimball's Milk Street: The New Home Cooking" Kindle Edition $4.99US

Dorie Greenspan's "Around My French Table: More than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"At Home with Magnolia: Classic American Recipes from the Founder of Magnolia Bakery" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Chef Edward Lee's "Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Linda Ziedrich's "The Joy of Pickling, 3rd Edition" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Hemingway Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Chefs Andy Husbands and Chris Hart's "Pitmaster" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Patisserie: A Step-by-step Guide to Baking French Pastries at Home" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Enchilada Queen Cookbook: Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tamales, and More Classic Recipes from Texas-Mexico Border Kitchens" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook (An Authorized Instant Pot Cookbook)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Southern Casseroles: Comforting Pot-Lucky Dishes" Kindle Edition $2.67US

"Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Humorous essays and recipes.

edited for clarification

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

The post above was more expensive than usual for me. Good thing I'd already purchased Deep Run Roots (electronic and hard copy) some time ago, or it would have been even worse. I have lots of fun reading and cooking ahead of me!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Had to spring for Milk Street and the casserole. I'm southern and Methodist. Casseroles are in my blood.

(I am convinced it's part of the Methodist Discipline that one must own a 9 x 13 pan. I'm quite sure John Wesley said so.)

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think you will enjoy it.  It's a great read even if you don't click with the recipes. 

Like @Smithy, I have it in both paper and electronic versions, one of very few I've done that with.

Any recommendations? No chickpeas or green peppers, please.

• Like 1