• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

I find Russian food particularly uninspiring (except for the imperial offerings greatly influenced by foreign chefs) and less flavorful than other East European cuisines. Having said that, the food from this restaurant is more appealing than most, so had to bite.

Still resisting. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Biscuits: Sweet and Savory Southern Recipes for the All-American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Another "Holy Cow" moment:

Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's "Lidia's Favorite Recipes: 100 Foolproof Italian Dishes, from Basic Sauces to Irresistible Entrées" [Kindle Edition] Kindle Edition $2.99US

I was bemoaning (to myself) that ever since I bought that one Lidia cookbook that was sort of on sale (but not bargain-priced) that Amazon kept showing me more and more of her titles that were nowhere near sale-priced. Then I saw this title today and quickly posted here it lest it go away all too quickly.

Another bargain-priced cookbook I saw when I discovered Lidia's cookbook on sale:

Food blogger Jennifer Farley's "The Gourmet Kitchen: Recipes from the Creator of Savory Simple" Kindle Edition $.99US 

edited for spelking

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

19 hours ago, Toliver said:

Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's "Lidia's Favorite Recipes: 100 Foolproof Italian Dishes, from Basic Sauces to Irresistible Entrées" [Kindle Edition] Kindle Edition $2.99US

I was bemoaning (to myself) that ever since I bought that one Lidia cookbook that was sort of on sale (but not bargain-priced) that Amazon kept showing me more and more of her titles that were nowhere near sale-priced. Then I saw this title today and quickly posted here it lest it go away all too quickly.

Still on sale and now MINE!

Thanks, Toliver. 

• Like 2

Sale items found this afternoon:

FoodTV's Nancy Fuller's "Farmhouse Rules: Simple, Seasonal Meals for the Whole Family" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Southern Foodie's Guide to the Pig: A Culinary Tour of the South's Best Restaurants and the Recipes That Made Them Famous" Kindle Edition $1.49US

edited because I apparently don't know how to type.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

Given my love for pork, I had to go with the second one. Plus, it has Felicia Suzanne's tasso cream sauce, and Central Barbecue's baked beans, which are worth the price of admission in and of themselves.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Given my love for pork, I had to go with the second one. Plus, it has Felicia Suzanne's tasso cream sauce, and Central Barbecue's baked beans, which are worth the price of admission in and of themselves.

Based on this recommendation, I took a look and also bought the second one.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Some sale items from this morning's once-over:

"New Frontier Cooking: Recipes from Montanas Mustang Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

FoodTV's Tyler Florence's "Tyler Florence Fresh" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Homesick Texan" blogger Blogger Lisa Fain's "The Homesick Texan Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Former science teacher turned San Francisco baking sensation "Josey Baker Bread: Get Baking - Make Awesome Bread - Share the Loaves" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The recipes are a little different in this cookbook. He starts out with a "master" recipe and then lists how to vary the recipe with measured amounts. See the "Look Inside" feature to see some of the recipes.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I noticed Bien Cuit: The Art of Bread on sale for $0.99.  I am challenged when it comes to crafting links to amazon.

Here's the book linked to Amazon.

"Bien Cuit: The Art of Bread" Kindle Edition $.99US

;)

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Several of Mark Bittman's books are on sale again (or still?) including the newish How To Grill Everything. I'm not a huge fan of the "Everything" concept but I borrowed that one from the library recently and thought it had a good selection of recipes, particularly non-meat recipes.

How to Grill Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Flame-Cooked Food

Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix: More Than 700 Simple Recipes and Techniques to Mix and Match for Endless Possibilities

How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition): 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food 

How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food--With 1,000 Photos (also on Amazon.ca)

Another repeat listing is Guerrilla Tacos: Recipes from the Streets of L.A. I wavered and missed the sale last time it was shared here.  I subsequently borrowed it from the library and decided to snag it if it appeared again.  Done! 

All the above mentioned kindle editions are showing up at $2.99 on Amazon.com for me, a US Prime member.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Several of Mark Bittman's books are on sale again (or still?)

The fire sale on his books make it seem almost as if they can't give them away...¬¬

More sale items from this morning:

Top Chef favorite and owner of the acclaimed Brooklyn restaurant Talde, Dale Talde's "Asian-American: Proudly Inauthentic Recipes from the Philippines to Brooklyn" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I believe this has been on sale before:

James Beard-nominated pastry chef Dana Cree's "Hello, My Name Is Ice Cream: The Art and Science of the Scoop" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Winner of the 2018 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award for "Reference & Technical" category "Peppers of the Americas: The Remarkable Capsicums That Forever Changed Flavor" Kindle Edition $2.99US

More of a refernce book than recipe book.

"Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Sorry if this has been previously posted...

Tim Oliver

"Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

9 minutes ago, Toliver said:

"Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have the hard copy but really wanted the Kindle version. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have the hard copy but really wanted the Kindle version. 

You're welcome. :smile:

Three more sale items from this morning, one an oldie but a goodie:

James Beard Award winning broadcaster Diane Rossen Worthington's "Seriously Simple: Easy Recipes for Creative Cooks" Kindle Edition $2.29US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the large list of recipes.

Chris Bianco's "Bianco: Pizza, Pasta, and Other Food I Like" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Not just pizza...Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Steven Raichlen's "Project Fire: Cutting-Edge Techniques and Sizzling Recipes from the Caveman Porterhouse to Salt Slab Brownie S'Mores" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I think this may be the companion book to his PBS series of the same name, but don't quote me on that.

The "Look Inside" feature isn't working on this title. There's nothing there.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I too have the hard copy.  I was not tempted by the Kindle.  Washoku is a book I've read and that I look into from time to time, but I never seem to find what I'm looking for.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I too have the hard copy.  I was not tempted by the Kindle.  Washoku is a book I've read and that I look into from time to time, but I never seem to find what I'm looking for.

It is not my favourite book in Japanese cuisine. It needed dozens more photographs to be truly useful.

It is not my favourite book on Japanese cuisine. It needed dozens more photographs to be truly useful and a little more acknowledgement that even in Japan the times they are a changing.   But I do have a level of simpatico with her. I wish I could’ve halted Danish cuisine’s forward match.  The Danes apparently thought otherwise.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A sale item found this afternoon:

Winner of the 2018 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award for "Chefs & Restaurants" category:
"Cheers to the Publican, Repast and Present: Recipes and Ramblings from an American Beer Hall" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

Some sale items found this afternoon before heading out on the (US) holiday weekend:

"Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This includes some recipes. Read the book info for details.

Mary Taylor Simeti's "Sicilian Food: Recipes from Italy's Abundant Isle" Kindle Edition $1.99US

One of the reviews mentioned a lot of the ingredients can't be found unless you live in Sicily. I suggest substituting ingredients you can source where you live. :smile:

Michele Scicolone's "The Mediterranean Slow Cooker" Kindle Edition $2.99US

If you need more info about the author, go to her Amazon info page and click "more" on one of her sample blog posts on that page, you will be taken to her personal blog web site. 

Hollywood caterer and food writer Gwen Kenneally's "Sweet & Savory Cookbook" Kindle Edition $.99US

A list of recipes can be seen using the "Look Inside" feature.

edited to add more info

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

A new month, some new deals.

Surprisingly, the Kindle Deals for cookbooks seems to be running dry...not too much to look at.

Not a cookbook...

Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour: In Search of the Perfect Meal" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Not a cookbook:
"The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean (P.S.)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Chef Josef Centeno's "Bäco: Vivid Recipes from the Heart of Los Angeles" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes.

"Ample Hills Creamery: Secrets and Stories from Brooklyn's Favorite Ice Cream Shop" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

François Payard’s "Payard Cookies" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Home Sausage Making, 4th Edition: From Fresh and Cooked to Smoked, Dried, and Cured: 100 Specialty Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Sausage!: How to Make and Serve Delicious Homemade Chorizo, Bratwurst, Sobrasada, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Mastering Basic Cheesemaking: The Fun and Fundamentals of Making Cheese at Home" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Award-winning cookbook author Ken Haedrich's "The Harvest Baker: 150 Sweet & Savory Recipes Celebrating the Fresh-Picked Flavors of Fruits, Herbs & Vegetables" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Not bargain-basement priced but close enough...
The first female chef in America to be awarded two Michelin stars Dominique Crenn's "Atelier Crenn: Metamorphosis of Taste" Kindle Edition $3.99US
Let the buyer beware...one reviewer said the Kindle doesn't handle the book's font very well, making it difficult to read.

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, Toliver said:

A new month, some new deals.

Even though I wasn’t tempted even a little I still thank you for doing this.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog