• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

22 minutes ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Jam Session: A Fruit-Preserving Handbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Using the "Look Inside" feature you can see the fruit and recipes are broken down by season.

Note this book is currently un-reviewed, if there's such a word.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Thanks. Reviewed or not the author certainly seems to have cred. And, bonus, it’s on sale for $1.99 on the Canadian Amazon site for a change. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Jam Session: A Fruit-Preserving Handbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Using the "Look Inside" feature you can see the fruit and recipes are broken down by season.

Note this book is currently un-reviewed, if there's such a word.

Here's a review of Jam Session from Marissa on Food In Jars.  Generally quite positive with a couple of fairly minor concerns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's a review of Jam Session from Marissa on Food In Jars.  Generally quite positive with a couple of fairly minor concerns. 

The two minor concerns involve making your own apple pectin and concerns about safety. The first one is valid. Needing to make your own apple pectin could be a dealbreaker for some. The other concern is really nonexistent. Whether one calls it a simmer or a boil both (the author and the reviewer) agree that the water must reach 212°F for processing. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From this afternoon's perusal:

"Das German Cookbook: Schnitzel, Bratwurst, Strudel and other German Classics" Kindle Edition $2.99US

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 8/2/2018 at 2:41 PM, Smithy said:

Sheesh. Toliver, you are hard on my bank account!

To paraphrase: [Book] love means never having to say you're sorry. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One from my BookBub email this morning:

"Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers: Easy, Family-Friendly Recipes from Scratch" Kindle Edition $1.99US

The recipes are supposed to be "from scratch" recipes, so no canned soups, etc.

Too bad we can't see an index of recipes...

Tim Oliver

Another Holy Cow moment (at least, to me). Ever since I recently posted about that Lidia cookbook that was sort of on sale but not bargain-basement priced, Amazon keeps taunting me whenever I peruse the cookbooks by showing even more cookbooks from Lidia, and Ina and Emeril and even Pepin, but not bargain-priced, of course. They showed me an Aaron Sanchez (from the FoodTV network) cookbook that was $16.99US and I laughed and cursed at them as I passed by the book. 

It's on sale today! It's bargain-basement priced, too. Get it (if you're interested) before whoever at Amazon sobers up and realizes that they made a mistake. :B

Aaron Sanchez's "Simple Food, Big Flavor: Unforgettable Mexican-Inspired Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours" Kindle Edition $.99US

And another cookbook (not related to Aaron) on sale that had good reviews:

"Cooking with Loula: Greek Recipes from My Family to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

I've heard good things about Burma Superstar: Addictive Recipes from the Crossroads of Southeast Asia by Desmond Tan & Kate Leahy.

The Kindle version is selling for $1.99 so I picked it up.  Haven't dove in yet.

A review & recipe here:  Eat Your Books

Edited to add:  sadly, not on Amazon.ca

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Another Holy Cow moment (at least, to me). Ever since I recently posted about that Lidia cookbook that was sort of on sale but not bargain-basement priced, Amazon keeps taunting me whenever I peruse the cookbooks by showing even more cookbooks from Lidia, and Ina and Emeril and even Pepin, but not bargain-priced, of course. They showed me an Aaron Sanchez (from the FoodTV network) cookbook that was $16.99US and I laughed and cursed at them as I passed by the book. 

It's on sale today! It's bargain-basement priced, too. Get it (if you're interested) before whoever at Amazon sobers up and realizes that they made a mistake. :B

Aaron Sanchez's "Simple Food, Big Flavor: Unforgettable Mexican-Inspired Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours" Kindle Edition $.99US

And another cookbook (not related to Aaron) on sale that had good reviews:

"Cooking with Loula: Greek Recipes from My Family to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

The Amazon person has sobered up.

• Like 1

Magnum opus from the late, great Jewish food authority Gil Marks - Kindle version was on sale for a nanosecond the other week; on sale again now but not sure how long will last:

Encyclopedia of Jewish Food Kindle Edition $3.99US

• Like 2
"She was a recluse," he said. "Her idea of a good time was to sauté mushrooms at midnight with a brandy and watch Dracula."

I just found Bien Cuit: The Art of Bread by Zachary Golper, for $0.99.

Also, Korean BBQ by Bill Kim, $2.99.

Yada yada US Prime yada yada.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Not food-related books but this may be of general interest:

Four of P. L. Travers' Mary Poppins books in one collection: 
Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins Comes Back
Mary Poppins Opens the Door
Mary Poppins in the Park 

Kindle Edition
$1.99US

Be forewarned that the Mary Poppins of the book isn't quite the same as the Julie Andrews film version.

But the books are classics.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I loved the Mary Poppins books. And the Five Little Peppers. The Lookout Mystery Series. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I could go on and on....

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This has been on sale before. I am reposting for those who didn't catch it the first time and have an interest in it:

Ken Forkish's "Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

Bargain basement alert:

Plantlab for $.99

Bien Cuit: The Art of Bread for $.99

Common thread seems to be publisher is Simon and Schuster... most of the bargain basement deals this month have been theirs.  The deals seem to last about a week, sometimes less. Maybe it is a set number of sales.  Dunno, but hope the deal remains alive long enough for somebody else to benefit.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

@DiggingDogFarm You asked to be alerted if "Victuals" went on sale again. Here it is (for the Kindle)!

"Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

17 hours ago, Toliver said:

@DiggingDogFarm You asked to be alerted if "Victuals" went on sale again. Here it is (for the Kindle)!

Thanks!

Got it! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Two for this morning's persusals:

"Tyler Florence Family Meal: Bringing People Together Never Tasted Better" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Reading one of the reviews, the book seems to have a different format compared to most cookbooks. 

Marja Vongerichten and three-star Michelin chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten's "The Kimchi Chronicles: Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

I just received an alert for the 2018 Piglet winner:  Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking @ $2.99

I think I set up an eREaderIQ alert for it after reading one of the Piglet reviews, but after re-reading a couple of them now (perhaps not the right one), I am not especially inclined to buy it.  In fairness, that is at least partially because I already have a backlog of cookbooks I haven't 'touched' yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rustwood said:

I just received an alert for the 2018 Piglet winner:  Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking @ $2.99

I think I set up an eREaderIQ alert for it after reading one of the Piglet reviews, but after re-reading a couple of them now (perhaps not the right one), I am not especially inclined to buy it.  In fairness, that is at least partially because I already have a backlog of cookbooks I haven't 'touched' yet.

Thanks!  I've been wanting this one.  I noticed the $2.99 price is good at both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rustwood said:

I had to bite, too.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com