• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

@thurbers No harm, no foul.

I tend not to post "healthy" cookbooks (or genre stuff like Paleo or Keto or Vegan or Vegetarian, etc). The Giada & newer Bittman cookbooks fall under that category, IMHO (that was a trend just a short while ago...chefs were all writing "healthy" cooking cookbooks. Bobby Flay's "healthy" cookbook is currently on sale, too, I believe), so I didn't post them.

I figure if someone has a special interest regarding Kindle cookbooks, they can go to Amazon's web site and locate the books for themselves.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There's a Humble Bundle offer underway for cookbook enthusiasts. If you're unfamiliar with the Humble Bundle concept, it's a "pay what you want" bundle of programs or books, with a sliding scale of content vs. price.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/chronicle-cook-books?partner=extech

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Once again, I am floored by the number of Kindle cookbooks currently bargain-basement-priced:

IACP Award–winning author Eileen Yin-Fei Lo's "The Chinese Chicken Cookbook: 100 Easy-to-Prepare, Authentic Recipes for the American Table" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant: Ethnic and Regional Recipes from the Cooks at the Legendary Restaurant" Kindle Edition $.99US
Moosewood has a couple of cookbooks on sale. Check their Amazon page for more sale titles.

Sondra Bernstein's "the girl & the fig cookbook: More than 100 Recipes from the Acclaimed California Wine Country Restaurant" Kindle Edition $.99US

Jerry Traunfeld's "The Herbfarm Cookbook" Kindle Edition $.99US
Fifty 5-star reviews!

Proprietor of the iconic Loaves & Fishes store on Long Island Anna Pump's "Summer on a Plate: More than 120 delicious, no-fuss recipes for memorable meals from Loaves and Fishes" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Nonna's House: Cooking and Reminiscing with the Italian Grandmothers of Enoteca Maria" Kindle Edition $.99US

Popular blogger Shelly Jaronsky's "The Cookies & Cups Cookbook: 125+ sweet & savory recipes reminding you to Always Eat Dessert First" Kindle Edition $.99US

Owner of the Buttercup Bake Shop Jennifer Appel's "Buttercup Bakes at Home: More Than 75 New Recipes from Manhattan's Premier Bake Shop for Tempting Homemade Sweets" Kindle Edition $.99US

Buddy Valastro's "Cooking Italian with the Cake Boss: Family Favorites as Only Buddy Can Serve Them Up" Kindle Edition $.99US

"The Blue Willow Inn Bible of Southern Cooking: 450 Essential Recipes Southerners Have Enjoyed for Generations" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Damage was done.

I escaped scot free!   Nothing to do with the nationality. If in doubt check the etymology.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, MReichle said:

I live in southern California.  Nonna's House came up at $16.99.

Do you have prime?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, MReichle said:

I live in southern California.  Nonna's House came up at $16.99.

I just checked the link and I get the same price as you now. How odd that it was on sale for such a short period of time.

Edited to add:

Checking my Amazon links in my post from yesterday, It seems as if about half of the cookbooks I posted yesterday are no longer on sale. 

My apologies if anyone is disappointed.

Edited by Toliver
to add more info (log)

Tim Oliver

Some "alleged"  ;) Kindle cookbook sale items -

These first two have been previously on sale:

Chetna Makan's "The Cardamom Trail: Chetna Bakes with Flavours of the East" Kindle Edition $.99US

"The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Buddy Valastro's "Family Celebrations with the Cake Boss: Recipes for Get-Togethers Throughout the Year" Kindle Edition $.99US

Buddy Valastro's "Buddy's Best Cookies (from Baking with the Cake Boss and Cake Boss): 10 Delicious Cookie Recipes from the Cake Boss for the Holidays--and Any Occasion!" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There's another Buddy Valastro book on sale but I won't bother posting it...you should be able to find it through his Amazon page.

Jessica Seinfeld's "The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!" Kindle Edition $.99US

Jessica (married to comedian Jerry Seinfeld) is a previous author of those "How to hide veggies in your food so your kids won't know they're eating vegetables" cookbooks. 

From "The American Baking Competition", Brian Emmett's "Get Your Bake On: Sweet and Savory Recipes from My Home to Yours" Kindle Edition $.99US

From Patricia Wells and her husband Walter, a memoir with recipes "We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the short list of recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary. I swear they're on sale as I post them.

edited to correct a case error

Edited to add a kind of Kindle cookbook I thought I would never post (the kind that look like someone Googled recipes and put them all in a book and called it "done"). I am posting it because it's well-reviewed and I know there are those who enjoy eating duck on eGullet:

"Recipes For Duck Lovers" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

From my BookBub email this morning and several other discoveries:

"Real Irish Food: 150 Classic Recipes from the Old Country" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Cuban Flavor: Exploring the Island's Unique Places, People, and Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.20US

With a foreword by Geoffrey Zakarian, it's Food TV's Marcela Valladolid's "Casa Marcela: Recipes and Food Stories of My Life in the Californias" Kindle Edition $2.99US

First published in 1956, Benedictine Sisters of Peking's "The Art of Chinese Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.95US

"The Brownie Diet: 101 Scumptious Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

Holy Cow! Pepin on sale...

"Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This might be of interest, too:

"Middle Eastern Cookery" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited to add another book on sale:

Daisy Martinez's "Daisy's Holiday Cooking: Delicious Latin Recipes for Effortless Entertaining" Kindle Edition $.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

54 minutes ago, Toliver said:

:$

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

Thank goodness Amazon told me I’d already bought the Pépin.  Now gotta search Kindle for it.

Yup. That was the meaning of my embarrassed emoji.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

This might be of interest, too:

"Middle Eastern Cookery" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited to add another book on sale:

Daisy Martinez's "Daisy's Holiday Cooking: Delicious Latin Recipes for Effortless Entertaining" Kindle Edition $.99US

Wow, Middle Eastern Cookery didn't last on sale very long.  Their loss, my gain.

• Like 1

It's totally bizarre. All the Everything books were 99 cents to 1.99 a couple of days ago. I was going to post because i was excited to get the Everything Nordic book for a song, but then they were back up to $15 or whatever right away. 

This is the one I got for 99 cents on Monday, 

Everything Nordic Cookbook

But I don't know it they will feature them again. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

:$

I bought it.  My hope is that while Jacques and I are both among the living he will explain why Howard Johnson's served melted ice cream in hot metal bowls.  My childhood was scarred and his soul may have to answer.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I bought it.  My hope is that while Jacques and I are both among the living he will explain why Howard Johnson's served melted ice cream in hot metal bowls.  My childhood was scarred and his soul may have to answer.

He could serve me bowls of mud filled with earwigs and I’d still buckle at the knees. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Tim Oliver

Sheesh. Toliver, you are hard on my bank account!

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Sheesh. Toliver, you are hard on my bank account!

Hey, no one says you have to buy them. ;) :laugh:

I was just sorry not to see those cheaper ($.99) cookbooks from a couple of posts ago.

Still, with these sale prices, it beats paying full price for the books.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email:

"Jam Session: A Fruit-Preserving Handbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Using the "Look Inside" feature you can see the fruit and recipes are broken down by season.

Note this book is currently un-reviewed, if there's such a word.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver