• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

This has been on sale before.

The author is a host on one of those Food TV shows.

Amy Thielen's "The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see might vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I almost bought Eat again!  I love that book for when you’re just plumb out of ideas,  dead tired and the pantry is  mostly empty. I know I have the Kindle edition and suspect I  even have the hard copy, too.  It may not be for everyone. Download a sample if you’re interested and see what you think.

Thanks as always for posting these. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From this afternoon:

"Manresa: An Edible Reflection" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

I suspect I'm not the only one here who breathes a sigh of relief when I click through to a book and discover that I already own it and therefore don't need to buy it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Ooooh... thanks for spotting Manresa!  

Ha ha.  It is not on sale on the Canadian site and the Kindle edition is even more expensive than the hardcopy! Thank goodness I have matured enough to know that it’s not my kind of read. There was a time….  Not that I would’ve attempted anything out of it even then.😧

But I love to know that there are people to whom this kind of book appeals.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Two sale items...One from my BookBub email this morning:

"The Indian Family Kitchen: Classic Dishes for a New Generation" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And this was one sale back in May but given the currant heat wave, I thought I'd re-post it:

"Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas" Kindle Edition $1.99US

edited to add one other book.

This is NOT a bargain-basement-priced ecookbook. That being said, this is the lowest price I've seen for it since I've been watching it on Amazon so I am posting it:

"The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions" Kindle Edition $5.99US

Edited by Toliver
edited to add another title (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

7 minutes ago, rustwood said:

I've had an ereaderiq.com alert on this book for a long time and it finally triggered yesterday.  AFAIK, this is the first time this has been priced at anything significantly less than $18.99.  Needless to say, I snapped it up.

The Kindle version is $20.03 in Canada.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The Kindle version is $20.03 in Canada.

Yeah. Not a single book that I was interested in was for sale at a reasonable price on the Canadian site.   But I’m not moving.

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yeah. Not a single book that I was interested in was for sale at a reasonable price on the Canadian site.   But I’m not moving.

Me neither.  I'm in the running for "Happy to be Canadian" contest.  You?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cdh said:

@cdh thanks for posting these. I bought the Ruhlman, the McGee and Grace Young books. It's like Prime Day all over again.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

I discovered two more of Grace Young's cookbook on sale for the Kindle:

Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories" Kindle Edition $.99US

Grace Young's "The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen: Classic Family Recipes for Celebration and Healing" Kindle Edition $.99US

I believe you can use the "Look Inside" feature on both of these books for a list of the recipes.

• Like 4

Tim Oliver

10 minutes ago, cdh said:

While poking around, I spotted eG's own @Monica Bhide's Modern Spice for $.99

Thank you for posting this!

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Wow. Talk about a fire sale! Here are a lot of TV chef books but there are some gold nuggets amongst them. Some non-TV chef books, as well.

The "Look Inside" feature doesn't work for a lot of the books...must be a publisher thing.

I know she's persona non grata to some but a lot of her cookbooks are on sale:

"Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Paula Deen's The Deen Family Cookbook" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life" Kindle Edition $.99US

Paula Deen's "The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Paula Deen & Friends: Living It Up, Southern Style" Kindle Edition $.99US

A different kind of TV chef:

Carla Hall's "Cooking with Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You" Kindle Edition $.99US

Another TV chef:

Rachael Ray's "My Year in Meals" Kindle Edition $.99US

Rachael Ray's "Everyone Is Italian on Sunday" Kindle Edition $.99US

Rachael Ray's "Week in a Day" Kindle Edition $.99US

The TV theme continues:

Buddy Valastro's "Baking with the Cake Boss: 100 of Buddy's Best Recipes and Decorating Secrets" Kindle Edition $.99US

Graham Elliot's "Cooking Like a Master Chef: 100 Recipes to Make the Everyday" Extraordinary Kindle Edition $.99US

Previously on sale a year ago:
"Sara Moulton's Everyday Family Dinners" Kindle Edition $.99US

Non -TV authors:

"Callie's Biscuits and Southern Traditions: Heirloom Recipes from Our Family Kitchen" Kindle Edition $.99US

From the maker/inventor of the Cronut Dominique Ansel's "Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see list of recipes and some intriguing food photography.

Tamar Adler's "An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Part memoir, part cookbook, Molly Wizenberg's "A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table" Kindle Edition $.99US

From Harlem's "Melba" restaurant, Melba Wilson's "Melba's American Comfort: 100 Recipes from My Heart to Your Kitchen" Kindle Edition $.99US

There are three versions of cookbooks with recipes from Magnolia (the bakery, not the HGTV-related one). Here's one:

"The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Recipes from the World-Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

James Beard Award-winning chef Cory Schreiber teams up with Julie Richardson, owner of Portland’s Baker & Spice for "Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More" Kindle Edition $2.99US

These two are NOT sale-priced but the prices are much lower than normal. I don't know if the prices will be further reduced. I am posting these in case anyone is interested:

Lidia Matticchio Bastianich's "Lidia's Mastering the Art of Italian Cuisine: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Great Italian Cook" Kindle Edition $6.99US

"Williams-Sonoma The Best of Thanksgiving: Recipes and inspration for a festive holiday meal" Kindle Edition $5.12US

Tim Oliver

Fire sale is right. I suggest everyone look at the other book suggestions if they check anything out. For instance there are several Magnolia Bakery books on sale: 

The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New Yorks Sweetest Bakery for $.99

More From Magnolia for $.99

Also from another page: 

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen Revised, Updated Edition $1.99

MEAT: Everything You Need to Know by Pat LaFrieda $.99 

Edited by Smithy
Corrected fouled links (log)

2 hours ago, thurbers said:

As I noted in my post, there are three Magnolia Kindle cookbooks currently on sale. I noted that some reviewers of those books complained they were basically the same book with some recipe swap-outs. Buyer Beware, I guess.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

As I noted in my post, there are three Magnolia Kindle cookbooks currently on sale. I noted that some reviewers of those books complained they were basically the same book with some recipe swap-outs. Buyer Beware, I guess.

I apologize, some of it was not reading carefully enough, some being gobsmacked by how much is on sale, and I did think the Magnolia was illustrative. I also managed to list two that were in cdh's list as well.  I really just wanted others to know to check the Amazon recommendations, 'what others have bought' lists. Even being repetitive, there is still more out there. There are additional Bittman cookbacks on sale, at least one Giada DeLaurentiis cookbook, an additional book from Stanley Tucci, a couple of Moosewood cookbooks, Martha Holmberg's book on sauces, Flour by Joanne Chang, Gjelina.... Many I know have been on sale before, some new to me, but it is a lot even for Amazon.