• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

When I go to the Amazon "Today's Deals" page and sort for Kindle ebooks in the listings, the book deals seem to remain the same for about a month. Once in a new month, then they change.

Edited to add that when I go to the Kindle eBook Section and look at Kindle ebook Deals and sort for "cooking, etc" books in the results, those books also remain the same for about a month or so.

The only thing that might show something new would be Lightning Deals which I don't generally look at.

Edited by Toliver
adding more verbage (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The kindle version of My Delicious Life: delicacies from my mother's fusion Israeli cuisine is currently free on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

Why not? It’s always good to have a spare on the old Kindle. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Have you ever tried freestufftimes.com?  I down load my kindle from there.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Tim Oliver

On 6/18/2018 at 2:51 PM, Toliver said:

And this is not a cookbook but is a first-hand experience tale, mixed with history of the craft of sushi:

Trevor Corson's "The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Wow.   I am so glad I didn’t miss out on this one. I was a bit iffy as sushi is not really where I’m at but it is a fascinating book that covers much more than sushi.  Thanks once again for what you do in bringing this to our attention. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wow.   I am so glad I didn’t miss out on this one. I was a bit iffy as sushi is not really where I’m at but it is a fascinating book that covers much more than sushi.  Thanks once again for what you do in bringing this to our attention. 

You're welcome.

It gives me a chance to say that this book turning out to be an enjoyable book for you is pure serendipity. 

My criteria for posting the books that I do in this forum is their bargain-basement price. I also tend to look at the reviews to see the general consensus about the book. A lot of poor reviews have to do with possible poor editing of the book (and poor recipes due to printing errors), the lack of functionality  of the book in ebook format, the lack of photos, etc. If it has poor reviews, I usually don't post it here.

I try not to post Kindle eBook-type cookbooks where it's obvious someone sat down with a computer search engine and found 250 recipes for brownies across the internet and put it all into an ebook format and called it "done". I also tend to stay away from the oodles of ecookbooks with "Healthy" or "Paleo" or "Keto", etc, in their titles, even though they may have a low price that makes them "postable" in this forum. If anyone is looking for specific genres of cookbooks, they can search Amazon themselves. 

I usually haven't read the books I'm posting. It's just dumb luck on my part that a book turns out to be a good one. I'm glad the one you bought turned out to be such an interesting read.

A vaguely related comment...I have a dear friend who is an avid reader (she's a member of "BookCrossing.com").

For her birthday, I was thinking of buying her a t-shirt that reads "Bookmarks are for Quitters". xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

I'd actually ought this before your post. Have skimmed through it and bookmarked half a dozen recipes. Cool looking stuff!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, Toliver said:

After some reflection I went with both.  Thanks, @Toliver even though you are a pernicious influence.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

One from this morning's BookBub email...the rest I found by stumbling around.

From the NY BBQ joint with the same name - 

"Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I know this has been posted before but it's still on sale and it's Paula Wolfert -

Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco" Kindle Edition $2.99US

And this is slightly more expensive than the true bargain-basement priced books I normally post, but it seems to have a lot going for it -

Finalist for the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Awards for "Restaurant and Professional" category...The debut cookbook from one of the country's most celebrated and pioneering restaurants, Michelin-starred State Bird Provisions in San Francisco
"State Bird Provisions: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $3.99US

One reviewer forewarns that some recipes call for sub-recipes and require time and a lot of specific ingredients that most may not have access to.

But then the restaurant seem to be famous for their pancakes which another reviewer says is in the cookbook. YMMV as to whether this cookbook is a right "fit" for you.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

Another from this morning's BookBub email and more stumbling-around discoveries:

"Food52 Ice Cream and Friends: 60 Recipes and Riffs (Food52 Works)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes (including savory flavors).

Blogger Rachel Schultz's "Happily Homemade: Cooking with Love" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

And I think this has been featured before but the price is pretty darn low - 

"The Sausage Cookbook Vol.1: Sausage Making Recipes [50 Fresh Sausage Recipes and 18 Cured Sausage Recipes]" Kindle Edition $.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes as well as a couple of recipes from the book (pistachio duck sausages, anyone?).

Tim Oliver

Two from this morning:

Abigail R. Gehring's "The Little Book of Country Baking: Classic Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Breads, and Pies (Little Red Books)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

She seems to be a "homey" author judging by the other books she's written.

She has a YouTube cooking show and also a cooking show on the Cooking Channel:

Laura Vitale's "Laura in the Kitchen: Favorite Italian-American Recipes Made Easy" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. You can even see a couple recipes from the book, as well, by using the feature..

Edited to add two more this afternoon:

New York Time's columnist Melissa Clark's "Dinner: Changing the Game" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the many recipes in this cookbook.

This has been on sale before...just posting it again:

Lior Lev Sercarz's "The Spice Companion: A Guide to the World of Spices" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Edited by Toliver
adding more cookbooks on sale (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, Toliver said:

Edited to add two more this afternoon:

New York Time's columnist Melissa Clark's "Dinner: Changing the Game" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the many recipes in this cookbook.

Wow, thanks for this one, @Toliver! I just borrowed it from the library a couple of weeks ago and though I only had time for a quick perusal before I decided I should just return it (no time to really cook from it right then), it did make me decide I would buy it if I could find it on sale. And here you are, finding exactly that! 

Like others, I really appreciate you taking the time to seek out the bargains and report them here. I don't always comment when I buy one of your finds, but I have purchased a few! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Toliver   I can't remember if you listed Feeding Nelson's Navy: The True Story of Food at Sea in the Georgian Era Kindle Edition by Janet Macdonald  $1.99   but I'm getting ready to travel and I thought it looked like a good read while on the plane.

@Porthos I'd seen it and thought perhaps I should have posted it, given how Anna N enjoyed the Sushi book which wasn't a cookbook. 
Thanks for posting the link.

Tim Oliver

This morning's theme...Fermentation:

Kirsten K. Shockey's "Fiery Ferments: 70 Stimulating Recipes for Hot Sauces, Spicy Chutneys, Kimchis with Kick, and Other Blazing Fermented Condiments" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I don't normally post "healthy" cookbooks, but Kombucha seems to be an "In" thing these days and this book seems well-reviewed...

Hannah Crum's "The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Tim Oliver

A couple of bargains I found this morning:

Get your tangines ready...

eGullet member emeritus author Paula Wolfert's "The Food of Morocco" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This next one has been on sale before but it's on sale again, so why not post it? It's Greek food this time.

Erik Cosselmon's "Kokkari: Contemporary Greek Flavors" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Edited by Toliver
To remove the superfluous (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

Buckle up, kiddos, it's a new month and there's a bunch of new ecookbooks on sale.

FYI...this listing is incomplete. There were quite a number of Bargain-basement priced cookbooks and I just stopped gathering the info lest it get too unwieldy!

Oh, and Spain seems to be the focus of many of the sale cookbooks...perhaps it's a new trend in the food world.

Winner of the 2017 IACP Award: Literary or Historical Food Writing, Gourmand World Cookbook Award Winner: Culinary Travel -
"Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain's Food Culture" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Jeff Koehler's "La Paella: Deliciously Authentic Rice Dishes from Spain's Mediterranean Coast" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Okay...so it's not Spain...it's a memoir plus recipes:

Ann Vanderhoof's "The Spice Necklace: My Adventures in Caribbean Cooking, Eating, and Island Life" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Look! eG member @rancho_gordo has a cookbook!

Vanessa Barrington & eG's Steve Sando's "Heirloom Beans: Recipes from Rancho Gordo" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Some BBQ cookbooks...

Dan Huntley's "Extreme Barbecue: Smokin' Rigs and 100 Real Good Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Kent Rollins's "A Taste of Cowboy: Ranch Recipes and Tales from the Trail" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I think this one has been on sale before:

"First Prize Pies: Shoo-Fly, Candy Apple, and Other Deliciously Inventive Pies for Every Week of the Year (and More)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Pickled Pantry: From Apples to Zucchini, 150 Recipes for Pickles, Relishes, Chutneys & More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Time to beat the heat with a popsicle:

Charity Ferreira's "Perfect Pops: The 50 Best Classic & Cool Treats" Kindle Edition $1.99US

The following aren't cookbooks but are food-related:

"Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Andrew Coe's "Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States" Kindle Edition $2.99US

And the reviews say this one makes a good seasonal (as in Christmas) read:

"Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas (P.S.)" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited by Toliver
edited to add Rancho Gordo's name tag (log)
  • Like 4

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

Grape, Olive, Pig has been purchased.

I've been eyeing this book for a few days and after reading the reviews I bought it.

"Pacific Fresh: Great Recipes from the West Coast" Kindle Edition 1.99 US

The review that I couldn't believe gave it 2 stars because it didn't have color pictures of the food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

One found this afternoon:

Competitive BBQ'er Ray Lampe's "Pork Chop: 60 Recipes for Living High On the Hog" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature for the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

Chai, Chaat & Chutney: a street food journey through India, by Chetla Makan, is presently $0.99 in the Kindle version on Amazon.com.  

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown