• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Can anyone explain to me how amazon first reads works?  Maybe it's the ethanol but I can't figure this one out.  They say one free Kindle book each month.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Can anyone explain to me how amazon first reads works?  Maybe it's the ethanol but I can't figure this one out.  They say one free Kindle book each month.

I read this page and it seemed pretty clear and just as you described - one book/month.  They publish a list of 6 "editor selected books" each month and you can pick one.  It's free for Prime members, otherwise you can sign up for the email and get the book for $1.99.

The main Amazon First Reads page shows this month's book and has a link to sign up for the monthly First Reads email.  You can see previous selections here

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I read this page and it seemed pretty clear and just as you described - one book/month.  They publish a list of 6 "editor selected books" each month and you can pick one.  It's free for Prime members, otherwise you can sign up for the email and get the book for $1.99.

The main Amazon First Reads page shows this month's book and has a link to sign up for the monthly First Reads email.  You can see previous selections here

Thanks.  No cookbooks that I see.

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  No cookbooks that I see.

Not a one.  Nor anything food-related that I could see. 

I'm glad you asked though as it prompted me to check out the other Prime reading options and download the current issue of Food & Wine, a magazine that my library doesn't have available online.

One this afternoon:

Master Patissier and twice winner of the prestigious Continental Patissier of the Year at the British Baking Awards, Eric Lanlard's "Totally Chocolate: 60 Deliciously Seductive Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

edited to add the oddly priced:

Steven Raichlen's "Grilling with Veggies" Kindle Edition $1.70US

Only 25 recipes in this book. It makes me wonder if they were culled from one of his other books. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the index.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Damn good book if you are interested in small batch canning and/or fermenting. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Another from this afternoon:

Domenica Marchetti's "Ciao Biscotti: Sweet and Savory Recipes for Celebrating Italy's Favorite Cookie" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes.

Tim Oliver

This is NOT a food-related Kindle book. 

But I think it's enough of a classic to merit posting.

It's also not priced at what I would consider a bargain-basement price but it's pretty darn close.

Edith Hamilton's "Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes, 75th Anniversary Illustrated Edition" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Edited to add an actual ecookbook from this afternoon:

Olwen Woodier's "The Pesto Cookbook: 116 Recipes for Creative Herb Combinations and Dishes Bursting with Flavor" Kindle Edition $2.40US

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

This afternoon was like stepping into a time machine. Lots of titles previously on sale are on sale yet again...plus one new book:

Some James Beard ecookbooks are back on sale. Check out his Amazon author's page for sale titles.

Yotam Ottolenghi's "Ottolenghi: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Silver Palate Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Diana Kennedy's "The Essential Cuisines of Mexico" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times: Featuring 350 recipes from the author of HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING and THE BEST" Kindle Edition $2.999US

"New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup" Kindle Edition $.99US

And the new find this afternoon...

For the beginner:
"The Haven's Kitchen Cooking School: Recipes and Inspiration to Build a Lifetime of Confidence in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There were a couple of other new ecookbooks on sale but i'm not posting them due to poor reviews.

Tim Oliver

40 minutes ago, Toliver said:

For the beginner:
"The Haven's Kitchen Cooking School: Recipes and Inspiration to Build a Lifetime of Confidence in the Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There were a couple of other new ecookbooks on sale but i'm not posting them due to poor reviews.

I picked this up with PrimeReading for free.  Can anyone explain to me how PrimeReading works?  Do the books expire?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I picked this up with PrimeReading for free.  Can anyone explain to me how PrimeReading works?  Do the books expire?

There are two ways to borrow books with Prime. One, the Prime lending library, lets you borrow one book per month and only one book at a time. There are not many cookbooks there that I have noticed, but a fair number of craft/gardening/amazon published fiction do seem to show up as this. 

Prime reading, OTOH, allows you to have a number of items at a time. I believe it is ten. You can keep them as long as you want while you are still a prime member. This is only important because some of the items you are allowed to 'borrow' are magazines issues, which are difficult to replace if they no longer exist in your library. What will happen while you are a prime member is that you can happily get the items until you reach the limit at which point  you will be informed you need to return an item before you can get the newest prime reading item you were interested in. And they will get you to the place where you can pick among your  prime reading items to do this if you want to return something. 

Edited by thurbers
grammar and clarity (log)

I fully admit I have a kindle cookbook addiction. 

I tend to go through the kindle recommendations every couple of days. And I must admit I have concluded that if I wait long enough cookbooks I am interested in will be at that nearly irresistible pricing level with very few exceptions. Recently though  I have seen a few 'recommended' cookbooks that had been priced in the twelve to eighteen dollar range listed for $6.99, $7.99, $8.99 instead.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm wondering if after using these price cuts to increase sales and/or get reviews, publishers including Amazon are now looking for a higher pricing sweet spot for this. Mind you it could just be that I've exhausted their generosity with my full cloud library and I will just have to be more discerning going forward. And much as that would be good for my budget, it would make me sad if I didn't get to binge on cookbooks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thurbers said:

There are two ways to borrow books with Prime. One, the Prime lending library, lets you borrow one book per month and only one book at a time. There are not many cookbooks there that I have noticed, but a fair number of craft/gardening/amazon published fiction do seem to show up as this. 

Prime reading, OTOH, allows you to have a number of items at a time. I believe it is ten. You can keep them as long as you want while you are still a prime member. This is only important because some of the items you are allowed to 'borrow' are magazines issues, which are difficult to replace if they no longer exist in your library. What will happen while you are a prime member is that you can happily get the items until you reach the limit at which point  you will be informed you need to return an item before you can get the newest prime reading item you were interested in. And they will get you to the place where you can pick among your  prime reading items to do this if you want to return something. 

Thanks!  For better or worse I shall probably be a Prime member till I die or starve, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

This afternoon was like stepping into a time machine. Lots of titles previously on sale are on sale yet again...plus one new book:

Some James Beard ecookbooks are back on sale. Check out his Amazon author's page for sale titles.

Yotam Ottolenghi's "Ottolenghi: The Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"The Silver Palate Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Diana Kennedy's "The Essential Cuisines of Mexico" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times: Featuring 350 recipes from the author of HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING and THE BEST" Kindle Edition $2.999US

"New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup" Kindle Edition $.99US

For the beginner:

Well, that one cost me $6.98, for Plenty (somehow, I did not have it!) and oddly, when I was looking back to find this post, it went to the first post in the thread back ages ago, and the Okonomiyaki cookbook is still on for $3.99. Being a lover of okonomiyaki, I bought it, too.

I have the Silver Palate cookbook in the dead tree edition (bargain shelf, Borders, 10 years ago). Worth the price of admission for the carrot cake recipe. That thing is sublime.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks!  For better or worse I shall probably be a Prime member till I die or starve, whichever comes first.

We are also Prime members. My husband really enjoys reading science fiction, so we subscribe to Kindle Unlimited through our Amazon Prime account, which also lets you borrow up to 10 books at a time, but has a much larger library from which to choose. I believe the Kindle Unlimited option is an additional $9.99 a month, but well worth it for us as my husband reads a lot!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I fell for The Cottage Kitchen.

I did not fall at all this time but I have to say that the photographs and the ideas in the Martha Stewart book are appealing.  I have a dead tree copy.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog