• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Add another buck to my "It's @Toliver's fault!" tab. Though, I must confess. I'd already bought it from reading my BookBub email, but it's more fun to blame somebody else. Along with another Persia cookbook, both to go along with a couple of non-sale-priced grain bowl cookbooks I ordered last night. Among the grains I have here to work with are farro, buckwheat groats, bulghur, millet, quinoa, several different kinds of rice, barley, along with couscous. Will be interesting to see what I find to try.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tim Oliver

I didn’t get caught up in any sort of buying frenzy but I did a little research on the “slow cook” book.  According to the introduction the recipes were tested with the 6 qt Instant Pot in slow cooker mode as well as with traditional slow cookers.  Just saying.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way, by Francis Mallmann, $1.20

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Tim Oliver

From this morning's perusal's:

I think this may have been on sale before - 

Joe Beddia's "Pizza Camp: Recipes from Pizzeria Beddia" Kindle Edition $2.99US

2015 finalist on Britain's "Masterchef" show...

Emma Spitze's "Fress: Bold, Fresh Flavours from a Jewish Kitchen" Kindle Edition $.99US

From British TV...

Chef Ching-He Huang, "Stir Crazy: 100 deliciously healthy stir-fry recipes" Kindle Edition $.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

Fress  is on my wish list but it’s not for sale at anything like that price on Amazon.ca. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

From this morning's BookBub email:

New York Times best selling author Adriana Trigiani tries her hand at a cookbook:
"Cooking with My Sisters: One Hundred Years of Family Recipes, from Italy to Big Stone Gap" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

It started with my daily BookBub email and I fell down an Amazon Kindle ecookbook rabbit hole...

"Alton Brown: EveryDayCook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There are a lot of recipes from the cookbook posted on this book's Amazon info page.

From Fran Warde and Tim Wilson, owners of the British Ginger Pig Butcher shops chain:
"Ginger Pig Meat Book" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Ginger Pig Farmhouse Cook Book" Kindle Edition $.99US

James Beard-nominated Pastry Chef Dana Cree's "Hello, My Name Is Ice Cream: The Art and Science of the Scoop" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Lindsey Bareham's "Dinner Tonight: 200 dishes you can cook in minutes" Kindle Edition $.99US

Lindsey is the Guild of Food Writers' British Food Writer of the Year Award winner.

And a food-related memoir:

Journalist Ann Mah's memoir "Mastering the Art of French Eating: From Paris Bistros to Farmhouse Kitchens, Lessons in Food and Love" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited by Toliver
To remove.some.punction. (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

Over on the EYB Kindle bargain listing, I saw Spritz and clicked on it thinking, "Oooo, a whole book about pressed cookies, that could be fun!

I found a rather different book, that I was aware of and really should have made the connection :$.

I bought the Kindle edition of Spritz: Italy's Most Iconic Aperitif Cocktail for $1.99 :D

• Like 1

And I just stumbled across this cocktail/spirits book that looked interesting:. No recipes (I believe) but a journal of sorts of the author's travels searching out spirit makers:

Thad Vogler's "By the Smoke and the Smell: My Search for the Rare and Sublime on the Spirits Trail" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Lindsey Bareham's "Dinner Tonight: 200 dishes you can cook in minutes" Kindle Edition $.99US

Lindsey is the Guild of Food Writers' British Food Writer of the Year Award winner

Looks like it would be worth having but once again Amazon.ca does not have it on sale. Damn

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/20/2018 at 12:18 PM, Toliver said:

Noah Bernamoff's "The Mile End Cookbook: Redefining Jewish Comfort Food from Hash to Hamantaschen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

9 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Ginger Pig Meat Book" Kindle Edition $.99US

9 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Ginger Pig Farmhouse Cook Book" Kindle Edition $.99US

I bought all three.

I've known about the Mile End Montreal smoked meat recipe for a long time, and 'adaptations' are readily available.

That recipe may be what they're more famous for, but, Jewish cuisine of one of my loves, so I ordered the book.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Found this morning...

Previously published in hardback as "Mr Todiwala's Spice Box"

Cyrus Todiwala's "Simple Spice: 120 easy Indian recipes with just 10 spices" Kindle Edition $.99US

edited to add that all of the James Beard titles that were on sale are no longer on sale.

Edited by Toliver
to add additional info (log)

Tim Oliver

Score another one for @Toliver. Since the local Indian restaurant closed, I'm reduced to either cooking my own or going to Memphis or Little Rock.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A new month is here and new e-cookbooks are on sale! 

On sale again:

Richard Olney's "Simple French Food" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Dora Charles' "A Real Southern Cook: In Her Savannah Kitchen" Kindle Edition $2.99US

There's a recipe called "Orphan One Hundred Cookies" posted on the Amazon info page for this book.

PBS series chef Pati Jinich's "Mexican Today: New and Rediscovered Recipes for Contemporary Kitchens" Kindle Edition $2.99US

You can read a few of her recipes using the "Look Inside" feature for this book.

Beth Hensperger's "The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Note this is not the Rose Levy Beranbaum infamous bread book (but is well-reviewed nonetheless).

Winner of the 2015 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award with forwards by Alice Waters and Michael Pollen...a "How to Cook" cookbook:
Carl Peternell's "Twelve Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Chef Roberto Santibanez (Author),‎ JJ Goode (Author),‎ Todd Coleman (Author)'s "Tacos, Tortas, and Tamales: Flavors from the Griddles, Pots, and Streetside Kitchens of Mexico" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to read their recipe for Corn Tortillas.

James Beard Book Award-winning author Janie Hibler's "The Berry Bible: With 175 Recipes Using Cultivated and Wild, Fresh and Frozen Berries" Kindle Edition $.99US 

Use the "Look Inside" feature to read the extensive recipe index for this part encyclopedia, part cookbook.

Not quite in the "Bargain Basement Price" range, but close enough...

Stephanie Izard's "Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Again, use the "Look Inside" feature to read the extensive recipe index.

And speaking of "Top Chef":

Richard Blais' "So Good: 100 Recipes from My Kitchen to Yours" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Sarah Leah Chase's "New England Open-House Cookbook: 300 Recipes Inspired by the Bounty of New England" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Forward by Ina Garten, view some recipes using the "Look Inside" feature.

Chief Historian at the History Cable Channel Libby O'Connell's "The American Plate: A Culinary History in 100 Bites" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Food history/origins with some recipes.

Jill O'Connor's "Cake, I Love You: Decadent, Delectable, and Do-able Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to read the extensive recipe index.

MALATI SRINIVASAN (Author),‎ GEETHA RAO (Author, Contributor)'s "THE UDUPI KITCHEN" Kindle Edition $.99US

Vegetarian Indian food from the southern Indian town of Udupi.
Before purchasing, please read the reviews regarding this book.

Finally, because Summer is coming:
Fany Gerson's "Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This may be the book eGer @blue_dolphinuses for her great-looking Popsicles.

I am a US Prime member and the prices you see may vary.

edited to add that there are more cookbooks "on sale" (click on the Kindle Book Deals link at the top of the Kindle Books section on Amazon's web site and choose "Cookbooks" to see their current Kindle cookbook sale list) but they weren't what I considered "Bargain Basement" prices so I did not post them here.

Edited by Toliver
clarity (log)
  • Like 3

Tim Oliver

Thanks for doing this. It was a cheap trip for me. I only wanted two of them and I already had  those .xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I am now the proud owner of The Bread Bible.  I have been sitting here trying to figure out how to make something resembling Dave's Killer Bread, the 21 grain variety and the book has already answered one rather important question that I had, namely the maximum amount of grains and seeds I can use for a certain amount of flour.  Already it has saved me from myself.xD

• Like 2

A few more I found this afternoon...some have been previously on sale:

Previously on sale:

"Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Previously on sale:
"Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix: More Than 700 Simple Recipes and Techniques to Mix and Match for Endless Possibilities" Kindle Edition $2.99US

And I can't recall, but I think this also may have been on sale...and it's oddly priced :
David Tanis' "One Good Dish" Kindle Edition $3.82US

New to the "Bargain Basement":

Andrew Feinberg  (Author),‎ Francine Stephens  (Author),‎ Melissa Clark  (Author),‎ Alice Waters (Foreword):
From Brooklyn's Franny Restaurant,"Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian" Kindle Edition $3.00US

Miriam González Durántez's "Made In Spain: Recipes and stories from my country and beyond" Kindle Edition $.99US

Leela Punyaratabandhu's "Bangkok: Recipes and Stories from the Heart of Thailand" Kindle Edition $2.99US

edited to add another:

From the famous British Butcher Shop, Lidgate -

"Lidgate's: The Meat Cookbook: Buy and cook meat for every occasion" Kindle Edition $.99US

Edited by Toliver
p.u.n.c.t.u.a.t.i.o.n. (log)

Tim Oliver

I saw these yesterday and just plumb forgot to post them:

Karen Solomon's "Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Click on her name under the book title to access her Amazon page. She has a few other Asian pickling e-cookbooks on sale that are region-specific.

Ken Sato's "Japanese Pickles Cookbook: Light salted and Fermented Preserved Tsukemono recipes from Japan - Samurai's Recipe Series (Samurai's Cookbook Series 1)" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Ken doesn't have an Amazon page of his own, but he has written some other Japanese food-themed books that are currently on sale. You can do a search of his name within Amazon on its search bar.

They seem a little "Kindle Single"-ish but I am posting this in case someone finds it useful.

Haruto Souma's "Japanese Traditional Recipes Made Easy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Cooking Traditional Japanese Foods At Home (Japanese Recipes Book 1)" Kindle Edition $.99US

Tim Oliver