• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Some more new ecookbooks on sale:

Another escape. The only book that interested me, Ducksoup, is already in my Kindle library. I thought it might be so saved myself the embarrassment of waiting for Amazon to point out the obvious.  I checked. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Another escape. The only book that interested me, Ducksoup, is already in my Kindle library. I thought it might be so saved myself the embarrassment of waiting for Amazon to point out the obvious.  I checked. 

Ducksoup sounded interesting to me (except the music choices) but the amazon preview has no recipes that I can find.  Can you give a mini review?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ducksoup sounded interesting to me (except the music choices) but the amazon preview has no recipes that I can find.  Can you give a mini review?

That would require that I read it. xD

Check your PM folder. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here’s  a mini review from someone much more qualified – – Diana Henry (scroll). And if you Google for recipes from the book there are quite a number online. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I could have swore I've already posted this but after checking previous posts, I see I didn't.

"Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pitmasters, Revised & Updated with 32 New Recipes!" Kindle Edition $2.99US

You can see the recipes listed in the index using the "Look Inside" feature.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

That would require that I read it. xD

Check your PM folder. 

Thanks, I placed my order.

• Like 1

On 2018-04-05 at 3:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, I placed my order.

Going through it just now. I’ve marked many recipes that are extremely simple and yet I suspect very tasty. But a warning. Pay no attention to the volume measurements. 5 1/2 cups of ditalini to serve two people? 2 1/3 cups grated Parmesan or  80g?   There are more.

The most essential gift for a [cook book reader] is a built-in, shock-proof, shit-detector.

With apologies to Ernest Hemingway.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Going through it just now. I’ve marked many recipes that are extremely simple and yet I suspect very tasty. But a warning. Pay no attention to the volume measurements. 5 1/2 cups of ditalini to serve two people? 2 1/3 cups grated Parmesan or  80g?   There are more.

The most essential gift for a [cook book reader] is a built-in, shock-proof, shit-detector.

I borrowed Ducksoup from my library a few weeks ago.  One of the first comments to hit my eyeballs after I'd read through the introduction and started flipping through the recipes got an eye-roll from me.  It was something like, "We recommend always using fresh pasta because it's just better."   Sorry, I don't agree.  It can be lovely but I actually prefer good dried pasta in many dishes.   It kind of put me off the book, though I did copy out the lime pickle recipe and will give it a try one of these days.

If anyone else is looking for a review of the book, there's one here, quite favorable, from round 1 of Food52's Piglet.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The reverse is true of the book Hello, My Name is Ice Cream.  I got this book for Christmas and made my first recipe from it a couple of days ago.  The weight measures were off.  In the intro it stated that 2 tablespoons of milk was equal to 30 grams.  The recipes state that 2 cups of milk is 450 grams, not so if 2 T= 30 gms.  The recipe called for 50 gm. of  glucose or 1/4 cup of an equal amount of corn syrup.  I was using corn syrup. That 1/4 cup weighed 87 grams.  The weight of the cream was different than stated.  I have no idea who came up with the weights but they, the authors, editors and the publishers should be embarassed.  I finally decided to use all volume measurements.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I borrowed Ducksoup from my library a few weeks ago.  One of the first comments to hit my eyeballs after I'd read through the introduction and started flipping through the recipes got an eye-roll from me.  It was something like, "We recommend always using fresh pasta because it's just better."   Sorry, I don't agree.  It can be lovely but I actually prefer good dried pasta in many dishes.   It kind of put me off the book, though I did copy out the lime pickle recipe and will give it a try one of these days.

If anyone else is looking for a review of the book, there's one here, quite favorable, from round 1 of Food52's Piglet.

I think Piglet is retarded and I stopped reading a long time ago. Having said that, I thought that review was great! Finally, a celebrity-reviewer that feels like she should be on that site AND sounds like someone who can cook. I loved it.

I don't know what to make of a lot of their "celebrity reviewers" though. I don't know where they find these people?

Sorry for the interlude: I just had to remark, I was so surprised to see a good Piglet review.

Back to your regular schedule programming. Actually, I liked it so much, I'm going to comment on their website. (I'm not a big fan of Food52)

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The reverse is true of the book Hello, My Name is Ice Cream.

Yes I think if the book is published in the US then I would trust volume measurements. If it’s published in the UK then I’ll go with weight measurements. It shouldn’t be so hard to convert!  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It certainly can be silly.  With one exception, I thought this year's reviews were pretty good.   

I find some to be quite perceptive.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

More ecookbooks found on sale this morning:

Françoise Branget's "French Country Cooking: Authentic Recipes from Every Region" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipe index.

Oddly priced:

Pastry Chefs Anthony Tassinello & Mary Jo Thoresen's "Ice Cream Social: 100 Artisanal Recipes for Ice Cream, Sherbet, Granita, and Other Frozen Favorites" Kindle Edition $2.78US

With a forward by Alice Waters. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipe index.

"Pacific Fresh: Great Recipes from the West Coast" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Take the title with a grain of salt...Teriyaki Wings are West Coast? Who knew? ¬¬
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the recipe index.

Diana Henry's "Cook Simple: Effortless Cooking Every Day" Kindle Edition $.99US

Now that's a sale price!

Two by British author and chef Sabrina Ghayour:
"Feasts: From the Sunday Times no.1 bestselling author of Persiana & Sirocco" Kindle Edition $.99US

"Sirocco: Fabulous Flavours from the East" Kindle Edition $.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Don’t confuse the Diana Henry book with  her more recent offering. 

5AC6B22D-D8ED-427C-B48D-3B0BB245E53B.thumb.png.17b470968187298a433b13ba15560c61.png

ADD04809-F0AA-4427-A1FF-9717E5992614.thumb.png.3bbb474a5b07770d22e9fa2b5dcee71e.png The one on sale is the much older Cook Simple book. Still a book I enjoyed but not the one that some of us have been cooking from recently.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don’t confuse the Diana Henry book with  her more recent offering. 

5AC6B22D-D8ED-427C-B48D-3B0BB245E53B.thumb.png.17b470968187298a433b13ba15560c61.png

ADD04809-F0AA-4427-A1FF-9717E5992614.thumb.png.3bbb474a5b07770d22e9fa2b5dcee71e.png The one on sale is the much older Cook Simple book. Still a book I enjoyed but not the one that some of us have been cooking from recently.

Odd.  One amazon reviewer who has both says they are essentially the same book except Cook Simple is UK and Simple is the US translation.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Odd.  One amazon reviewer who has both says they are essentially the same book except Cook Simple is UK and Simple is the US translation.

Cook Simple has a publication date of February 20, 2014.

Simple was published on September 6, 2016. 

I have both books and they are certainly not the same.

My 2004 eG Blog

A little off-script here...no cookbooks but food-related books. I started going down various rabbit holes once I got into these food-related genres and had to stop...I lost track of time!

"The Homebrewer's Garden, 2nd Edition: How to Grow, Prepare & Use Your Own Hops, Malts & Brewing Herbs" Kindle Edition $1.80US

eText Book:

"The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition: A Complete Guide to Maximizing Flock Health and Dealing with Disease 2nd Edition" Kindle Edition $2.51US

Chef Gabrielle Hamilton's memoir "Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Hamilton’s memoir is a fabulous read. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

From my Bookbub email this morning...another off-script sale item:

Ruth Reichl's "Delicious!: A Novel" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

We should have a "bought" emoticon.  I'd paged through The Cardamom Trail at work, and while it didn't immediately grab me, for 99 cents, how could I not?

• Like 3

Damn, I bought Cardamom Trail when it wasn't a buck. I have to learn to wait. 

A couple I haven't seen mentioned are:

Melissa Clark's Instant Pot cookbook at $3.99

And Melissa Gilbert's Little House memoir with recipes at $2.99 (this one in case nostalgia might strike)

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links to be Amazon-friendly (log)