• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

24 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Everything I Want to Eat: Sqirl and the New California Cooking is currently $2.99 (US, Prime). If you've been wondering about it, here's a cheap opportunity.

Not any more either in the U.S. or Canada.  Sadness.

Edited to add:  not available in Canada.  It is available to Prime members in the U.S.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

8 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

I just checked again. It's still showing as $2.99 for me.

I stand corrected.  I guess it is not showing for me on Amazon.com as I am not a Prime member.  I am a Prime member of Amazon.ca and it does not show up there at the sale price so I guess it is not available here.  

23 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Everything I Want to Eat: Sqirl and the New California Cooking is currently $2.99 (US, Prime). If you've been wondering about it, here's a cheap opportunity.

Last year, Sqirl was a bargain price on Amazon.ca but NOT on Amazon.com,  a rare occurrence, I know.  So when I saw the bargain price yesterday, I jumped on it.  

I still see the $2.99 price on Amazon.com but not on Amazon.ca.

Poole's: Recipes and Stories from a Modern Diner is another one that was on sale last year and is listed again at $1.99 on Amazon.com.  Sadly, not on Amazon.ca.

Just now, kayb said:

I got Poole's last year. Good cookbook, at least from the reading perspective. I have yet to cook anything from it.

Ditto. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There's a James Beard Kindle ecookbook sale-a-thon happening on Amazon (US) right now.

I won't list all of the titles on sale.

James Beard's "Love and Kisses and a Halo of Truffles: Letters to Helen Evans Brown" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Or check out his Amazon page directly (click) for more titles.

Other current sales:

Alana Chernila's "The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Rachael Ray 2, 4, 6, 8: Great Meals for Couples or Crowds" Kindle Edition $2.99US
Interesting that there is no "Look Inside" feature on this Kindle ecookbook.
Also, note the reviews are mixed on this book.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

On 3/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, kayb said:

Thought I'd already bought Taste of Persia, but turns out I hadn't, or Amazon doesn't recall that I have. So now I have.

Any of you who haven't bought this and are contemplating, it's now down to $1.20 for the ebook (US Prime price). I've been reading it this afternoon and I highly commend it to you. It's worth it for the travelogue alone, and the recipes sound luscious. (Man'oushe' also arrived via the mail today, so I'm all up in the mood for Middle Eastern cuisine). Cabbage dolmas and Lebanese flatbread are on my list for this week.

And the Georgian walnut sauce sounds absolutely marvelous. I'm thinking it would be fine over the still-refrigerated roasted chicken.

Taste of Persia

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Any of you who haven't bought this and are contemplating, it's now down to $1.20 for the ebook (US Prime price). I've been reading it this afternoon and I highly commend it to you. It's worth it for the travelogue alone, and the recipes sound luscious. (Man'oushe' also arrived via the mail today, so I'm all up in the mood for Middle Eastern cuisine). Cabbage dolmas and Lebanese flatbread are on my list for this week.

And the Georgian walnut sauce sounds absolutely marvelous. I'm thinking it would be fine over the still-refrigerated roasted chicken.

Taste of Persia

Thanks for reminding me of this book Taste of Persia. I did buy it some time in 2016 and I did start reading it. I must’ve  become distracted (something that seems to happen far too frequently)  so I’m reading it now. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

May I ask a favor?

I don't check this thread as often as I should, and we all know that special pricing is temporary.

If anyone notices Ronni Lundy's, Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes, on sale again—will you please send me a PM or tag me.

I have a keen interest in Appalachian mountain cooking—this is a book that I very much want.

Thanks!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

52 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

May I ask a favor?

I don't check this thread as often as I should, and we all know that special pricing is temporary.

If anyone notices Ronni Lundy's, Victuals: An Appalachian Journey, with Recipes, on sale again—will you please send me a PM or tag me.

I have a keen interest in Appalachian mountain cooking—this is a book that I very much want.

Thanks!

Will do although I'm not usually the person who finds these.  But if I do see it on special, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Not as cheap as some, but Ottolenghi's Sweet is on for $3.99, a significant reduction from regular price. Figured it was well worth it.

clickety

U.S. Prime price. YMMV.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Look Away! Look Away!

You have been forewarned. xD

What follows is a large list of mostly bargain eCookbooks I found this morning. 

Not a bargain basement price:

"Tartine Bread" Kindle Edition $4.99US

"Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole" Kindle Edition $3.00US

"The Model Bakery Cookbook: 75 Favorite Recipes from the Beloved Napa Valley Bakery" Kindle Edition $3.00US

Nigella Lawson's "Nigellissima: Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Lost Kitchen: Recipes and a Good Life Found in Freedom, Maine" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Two cookbooks by Chef Francis Mallmann:
"Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Mallmann on Fire: 100 Inspired Recipes to Grill Anytime, Anywhere" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Colu Henry's "Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This eCookbook was previously on sale last summer:
Steven Raichlen's "Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades--Bastes, Butters & Glazes, Too" Kindle Edition $1.00US

"Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"America's Best Pies: Nearly 200 Recipes You'll Love" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Little Old Lady Recipes: Comfort Food and Kitchen Table Wisdom" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes!" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Sweets (desserts) from MasterChef winner Shipra Khanna's "Sinfully Yours" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes in the book.

"Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Chelsea Market Makers: Recipes, Tips, and Techniques from the Artisans of New York's Premier Food Hall" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

I wouldn’t stand up in court and swear on the holy book but a  search for “yeast” yields returns only when used in combination with a leaven. And natural leaven is after all what he built his reputation on. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Can someone tell me if the recipes in "Tartine Bread" all require sourdough starter?  Thank you.

I think so. This description might help: 

Chad Robertson (co-owner, with his wife, Elisabeth Prueitt, of San Francisco's Tartine, Bar Tartine) brings his master Tartine Bread technique to those who may not have the chance to try the famed Bay Area loaves hot out of the oven. This "baker's guidebook" is divided into four parts: Basic Country Bread; Semolina and Whole-Wheat Breads; Baguettes and Enriched Breads; and Day-Old Bread. Robertson's basic recipe is explained in depth with numbered steps, and consists of making a natural leaven and baking in a cast-iron cooker. The author's passionate tone and tales of baking apprenticeships, along with top-notch step-by-step photos, elevate the title from mere manual to enjoyable read. The later sections include variations on the basic recipe; bread-to-use recipes for sandwiches; bruschetta; and salads and entrees made with croutons and breadcrumbs. The sophisticated and clean design, exceptional photos, and padded cover give the book a luxurious feel. (Nov.) 

• Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Look Away! Look Away!

You have been forewarned. xD

What follows is a large list of mostly bargain eCookbooks I found this morning. 

Not a bargain basement price:

"Tartine Bread" Kindle Edition $4.99US

"Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole" Kindle Edition $3.00US

"The Model Bakery Cookbook: 75 Favorite Recipes from the Beloved Napa Valley Bakery" Kindle Edition $3.00US

Nigella Lawson's "Nigellissima: Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"The Lost Kitchen: Recipes and a Good Life Found in Freedom, Maine" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Two cookbooks by Chef Francis Mallmann:
"Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Mallmann on Fire: 100 Inspired Recipes to Grill Anytime, Anywhere" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Colu Henry's "Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly" Kindle Edition $1.99US

This eCookbook was previously on sale last summer:
Steven Raichlen's "Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades--Bastes, Butters & Glazes, Too" Kindle Edition $1.00US

"Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"America's Best Pies: Nearly 200 Recipes You'll Love" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Little Old Lady Recipes: Comfort Food and Kitchen Table Wisdom" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes!" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Sweets (desserts) from MasterChef winner Shipra Khanna's "Sinfully Yours" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the long list of recipes in the book.

"Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented" Kindle Edition $1.99US

"Chelsea Market Makers: Recipes, Tips, and Techniques from the Artisans of New York's Premier Food Hall" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Whew!   I escaped unscathed. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, kayb said:

I was about to post that. A look at the table of contents convinced me it was well worth it.

clickety

Once again, Amazon has saved me from buying the same book twice.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Some more new ecookbooks on sale:

"Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Yes, that Franklin Barbecue.

From the London restaurant with the same name: 
"Ducksoup: The Wisdom of Simple Cooking" Kindle Edition $2.40US

"Lone Star Brisket: A Step by Step Guide on How to Smoke Brisket" Kindle Edition $.99US

The "Look Inside" feature shows the very detailed index...not sure how many recipes are included.

"Pretzel Making at Home" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Ken Haedrich's "Maple Syrup Cookbook, 3rd Edition: Over 100 Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner" Kindle Edition $2.51US
With a forward by Marion Cunningham. Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the extensive recipe index.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver