• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

2 hours ago, rustwood said:

I am not familiar with that one.  At a glance it certainly looks like it ought to be worth $2.  I will probably buy it - after a few hours of impulse control.

I'm not familiar with Nopalito either.  Nonetheless amazon informs me I already own a copy.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I borrowed Nopalito from the library and when the sale popped up, I decided it was worth the 2 bucks.  Haven't actually cooked from it yet.  

From the current sale crop, I sprang for:

POK POK The Drinking Food of Thailand: A Cookbook @  $2.99 (NOT on sale at Amazon.ca)

Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen @ $1.99 (same price on Amazon.ca)

Kristin Kish Cooking @ $2.99 (NOT on sale at Amazon.ca)

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I borrowed Nopalito from the library and when the sale popped up, I decided it was worth the 2 bucks.  Haven't actually cooked from it yet.  

From the current sale crop, I sprang for:

POK POK The Drinking Food of Thailand: A Cookbook @  $2.99 (NOT on sale at Amazon.ca)

Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen @ $1.99 (same price on Amazon.ca)

Kristin Kish Cooking @ $2.99 (NOT on sale at Amazon.ca)

You are almost as bad as @Toliver :D  I just sprung for the Simple Thai Food one.

• Haha 1

Some of these may have been posted before...some of the titles sound familiar to me:

"The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Winner of the 2018 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award for "Baking" category:
Jami Curl's "Candy Is Magic: Real Ingredients, Modern Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

From the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market food stand, "Tacolicious: Festive Recipes for Tacos, Snacks, Cocktails, and More" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Two cookbooks that don't have what I would consider to be bargain-basement prices:

Chef Paul Kahan's "Cheers to the Publican, Repast and Present: Recipes and Ramblings from an American Beer Hall" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Internationally acclaimed food and travel writer Colman Andrews "The Country Cooking of Ireland" Kindle Edition $3.00US

Unfortunately, the "Look Inside" feature shows no content for this cookbook...pages and pages of nothing. Alas, no index. :(

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver
clarity (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The only one that interested me was The Sprouted Kitchen title. I checked before Amazon embarrassed me and discovered that yes, indeed, I do own it.  xD

Has some recipes that appeal to me, too!

We need a button on  Amazon which will not allow you to buy another Kindle book until you’ve made five recipes from the one you just bought.xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

The only one that interested me was The Sprouted Kitchen title. I checked before Amazon embarrassed me and discovered that yes, indeed, I do own it.  xD

Has some recipes that appeal to me, too!

We need a button on  Amazon which will not allow you to buy another Kindle book until you’ve made five recipes from the one you just bought.xD

Jeff Bezos would hunt you down.

• Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2018-03-11 at 7:40 PM, rustwood said:

I am not familiar with that one.  At a glance it certainly looks like it ought to be worth $2.  I will probably buy it - after a few hours of impulse control.

I caved and I’m glad I did. Did you?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I caved and I’m glad I did. Did you?

After reading some reviews and browsing the recipes on eat your books, I decided to pass.  It may be very good, but nothing made me want to add it to my growing cookbook backlog.  Plus I can get it from the library.  I'll probably want it after I see it, but it will be cheap again sooner or later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I went with Candy Is Magic and Tacolicious.  Still have 453 GB left on my iPad.

It’s not space on my iPad that limits me  but cash on my gift card.xD:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

https://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Fatted-Making-Sausage-Confits-ebook/dp/B00C0AO18U/ref=zg_bs_156154011_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B68K6HXR2EVTWCB5B80F

Daily Kindle special 3.99 on Amazon US for  In The Charcuterie: The Fatted Calf's Guide to Making Sausage, Salumi, Pates, Roasts, Confits, and Other Meaty Goods 

30 minutes ago, chefmd said:

https://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Fatted-Making-Sausage-Confits-ebook/dp/B00C0AO18U/ref=zg_bs_156154011_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B68K6HXR2EVTWCB5B80F

Daily Kindle special 3.99 on Amazon US for  In The Charcuterie: The Fatted Calf's Guide to Making Sausage, Salumi, Pates, Roasts, Confits, and Other Meaty Goods 

I looked at that, but I have Ruhlman and Polcyn, and anything beyond that would have to be very attractive indeed.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, chefmd said:

I caved.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/11/2018 at 6:03 PM, Smokeydoke said:

@rustwood Any thoughts on Nopalito? It's on sale too. I'm not a taco-person. I have no idea.

Nopalito: a Mexican Kitchen

We have this book, which we got in order to get the recipe for a single dish, Smashed Shrimp with Eggs and Salsa, after one of us had it at the restaurant. We've made it a few times, and it's great, so we feel like we got our money's worth. At $1.99, it's a steal.

We've made a few other things, all of which were pretty good -- except their chorizo, which, while authentically flavored, is hot af. We definitely recommend their Blanco Rojo cocktail (basically a Jasmine made with tequila as the base spirit).

Be aware that it's what we call a "restaurant" book, which means lots of sub-recipes. This doesn't bother us, but I know a lot of folks get perturbed by all the page flipping and the nagging sense that a full understanding of a cookbook will eventually and necessarily require recreating the entire pantry of the subject restaurant.

• Like 6

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

5 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

We have this book, which we got in order to get the recipe for a single dish, Smashed Shrimp with Eggs and Salsa, after one of us had it at the restaurant. We've made it a few times, and it's great, so we feel like we got our money's worth. At $1.99, it's a steal.

We've made a few other things, all of which were pretty good -- except their chorizo, which, while authentically flavored, is hot af. We definitely recommend their Blanco Rojo cocktail (basically a Jasmine made with tequila as the base spirit).

I bought the Nopalito Cookbook a couple of weeks ago. No chance yet to actually cook from it, but I liked the sound of your drink recommendation and wanted something different so looked it up in the book. No agave nectar in the house right now, so stayed closer to the Jasmine and used Triple Sec. It really is a very tasty cocktail! And pretty. Thanks! 

IMG_20180316_173332.thumb.jpg.0dbfcd11ae400b216d0bbb01f1a7ce56.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I bought the Nopalito Cookbook a couple of weeks ago. No chance yet to actually cook from it, but I liked the sound of your drink recommendation and wanted something different so looked it up in the book. No agave nectar in the house right now, so stayed closer to the Jasmine and used Triple Sec. It really is a very tasty cocktail! And pretty. Thanks! 

IMG_20180316_173332.thumb.jpg.0dbfcd11ae400b216d0bbb01f1a7ce56.jpg

To be honest, that's what we do, too. In that form, it's in our regular rotation.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

19 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

We definitely recommend their Blanco Rojo cocktail (basically a Jasmine made with tequila as the base spirit).

The Jasmine is one of my favorite cocktails...must give this variant or your riff on it a try.  I've been using Ikea's elderflower syrup instead of orange liqueurs, so will probably add that spin of my own to it. 

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

From this morning...something old and something new.

This was on sale about 6 months ago...

Deuki Hong's "Koreatown: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Author Frances Mayes' "The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

She's the author of "Under the Tuscan Sun" and wrote this companion cookbook about the region's recipes.

There's a Ragu recipe on the book's Amazon info page. Plus, if you use the "Look Inside" feature, you can see a lot more of the recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

17 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Apologies if this has been posted already...  here's a big collection of FREE historic cookbooks.

Includes La Cuisine Française. French Cooking for Every Home. Adapted to American Requirements, published 78 years before Julia Child's book.

There is some fun stuff there! 

On 3/20/2018 at 10:42 AM, Toliver said:

Author Frances Mayes' "The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen" Kindle Edition $1.99US

She's the author of "Under the Tuscan Sun" and wrote this companion cookbook about the region's recipes. 

Bought it the other night. Now I just need time to start reading it (and a couple of others that I've purchased recently).

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

From this afternoon:

Rebecca Lang's "Fried Chicken: Recipes for the Crispy, Crunchy, Comfort-Food Classic" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I had to laugh at the first review, which happens to be quite negative, complaining because there were no oven-baked chicken recipes...in a book with the words "Fried Chicken..." in the title. xD

"Michael Symon's 5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the prices you see may vary.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Everything I Want to Eat: Sqirl and the New California Cooking is currently $2.99 (US, Prime). If you've been wondering about it, here's a cheap opportunity.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2