• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Feel compelled to share this with you: 

“Tools are tools, and once you know what a slow cooker does well—steaming, acting as a water bath, braising—you can use it in a regimented way to great effect. It reminds me of when I started at the French Laundry in 1996, soon after that memorable dinner with my father. I got to my station and there was a microwave there. I recoiled; I thought this is terrible—but of course it wasn’t. You have to remove your value judgments and think about it as a tool, nothing more. The only relevant question is, what can it do?”

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/1/2018 at 11:23 AM, kayb said:

Thanks! Snapped that one up. The sweet potato is my spirit vegetable.

And bacon is my spirit vegetable...er, I mean, animal. ;)

Some carbs this time:

From Seattle's Top Pot Doughnuts shop, "Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Heidi Gibson's "Muffins & Biscuits: 50 Recipes to Start Your Day with a Smile" Kindle Edition $2.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

An older cookbook this morning:

Mark Bittman's "The Minimalist Cooks Dinner: More Than 100 Recipes for Fast Weeknight Meals and Casual Entertaining" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Dammit, @Toliver. One of these days I'm going to go back through my Amazon orders and this thread, and see how much you've cost me.

I admit it: I flinch every time a notification pops up that he's posted in this topic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I admit it: I flinch every time a notification pops up that he's posted in this topic.

Me too. But at the same time, I'm excited and I HAVE to look!   xD

I don't always admit it, but I do buy books based on this thread..... :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

*sigh* . 2 more on my shelf. Only 1 was on my wish list. O.o

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Having had Mexican for lunch and suffering from the after-lunch lull, and not being a frequent baker of sweets, this was a bit easier for me to pass.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I grabbed the Tartine book because it had been on my wish list but even the Kindle version was ridiculously expensive. I believe at one time it was even more than the hardcopy version. So thanks. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I grabbed the Tartine book because it had been on my wish list but even the Kindle version was ridiculously expensive. I believe at one time it was even more than the hardcopy version. So thanks. 

Do you like Tartine book?  I am on the fence

4 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Do you like Tartine book?  I am on the fence

Have not yet opened it but went back and read the reviews on Amazon and I’m shaking my head since so many of the baking recipes are apparently gluten free. Somehow that escaped my notice previously. I am not saying it is a bad book only that I might have thought twice had I known.

My 2004 eG Blog

I was excited to see the Tartine book until I read the reviews which said it should have been sub-titled "The Gluten Free" book as there were so many gluten-free recipes in it.  Not needing a gluten-free book, I passed although I sure wouldn't mind seeing @Toliver find other Tartine books in an inexpensive Kindle book edition.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 1

Silly question...but who says you have to use gluten-free whatever when making the recipes in the Tartine book?

Why not use AP flour if it pleases you?

Just asking...

Tim Oliver

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

Silly question...but who says you have to use gluten-free whatever when making the recipes in the Tartine book?

Why not use AP flour if it pleases you?

Just asking...

It’s not often a simple one for one swap. Other ingredients need to be adjusted also.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Toliver  I know next to nothing about gluten-free cooking but what little I do know made me think that you couldn't just swap, say, all-purpose flour for whatever the gluten free item is in the recipe, which Anna's comment seems to confirm.  Are we wrong?

• Like 1

Funny, I checked out Tartin Every Day from the library last year and never even noticed its gluten-free emphasis! For me the attraction was the preserves.  There may have been other things that I've forgotten as well; I purchased the book but haven't downloaded it yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Funny, I checked out Tartin Every Day from the library last year and never even noticed its gluten-free emphasis! For me the attraction was the preserves.  There may have been other things that I've forgotten as well; I purchased the book but haven't downloaded it yet.

I certainly don’t think the gluten-free stuff makes it a dealbreaker but I’m with many reviewers in believing that it should have been made much clearer. I used to completely ignore the dessert section of most cookbooks. Now with an emerging interest in baking...

I think it’s even more egregious given that most of us connect “Tartine” with bread. 

Having said all that I may still try one or two of the gluten-free cookie recipes.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I am blaming @Toliver for this purchase, although he did not post it. The last ebook I bought from one of his posts, I had paged down and was looking at the other recommendations when I came across Nadia Hassani's Spoonsful of Germany, here

Now, I love German food like a fat kid loves cake. Purely love it. Can only eat it when I cook it, or when I go to Little Rock, as there's no German restaurant in Jonesboro and not a decent one I'm aware of in Memphis any more. (However, Little Rock does have The Pantry and its sister, Pantry Crest, which I highly commend to y'all should you ever find yourselves in Arkansas' capital city. And by the way, any of you who live in the Philadelphia area, the Austrian Village in Huntingdon Valley is absolutely superb. Red cabbage of the gods.) So I had to look. And I had to buy.

At $6.99, it's not an amazing bargain, but after looking through the sample, I decided it was worth the price. Cuisine in divided into regional dishes -- north, east, west, south. I have bookmarked so many pages it's ridiculous. And here it's about to get warm weather, when I don't cook a lot of German meals.

But I did order some King Arthur pumpernickel flour, and I'm going to try their pumpernickel recipe. There are a number of spreads, etc., in the book that will make good spring lunches.

Thanks, @Toliver

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tacos: Recipes and Provocations by Alex Stupak currently on sale for $1.99

Initially I thought this might end be a book of endless taco variations but I was so wrong.  It is much more about making the sauces and components of amazing tacos.  IMO it is well worth $1.99, if only for the Cochinita pibil recipe.  It is fantastic - especially when it is fresh (although I am not convinced the banana leaves added any flavor with the easy method).  One of these days I will get around to trying the chicken tortillas.

• Like 3