• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

Another find this afternoon:

John Barricelli's "The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook: The Best Sweet and Savory Recipes for Every Occasion" Kindle Edition $1.99US

There's a recipe from the book for Ginger Cookies if you scroll further down the Amazon page for this book.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

x 3.

Sheesh.  If my e-Cookbook collection were the physical books, I've had had to add a room by now.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Sheesh.  If my e-Cookbook collection were the physical books, I've had had to add a room by now.

;) This is the exact reason why I bought a Kindle. I could see what was happening to the free space in my apartment and had to find an alternative to having physical books.

Edited to add this other find:

Okay, it's not a true bargain price (which would be 99¢ or $1.99) but it's low enough to post.

She's a British author with previous cookbooks to her name. This one seems to have been repackaged/renamed from another of her cookbooks (see the reviews on the Amazon info page for this book for details).

Diana Henry's "Cook Simple: Effortless Cooking Every Day" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Done.

And me.

Even if I never make a single dish from it the reading is cheap entertainment and I guarantee I will learn something I didn’t know before. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And me.

Even if I never make a single dish from it the reading is cheap entertainment and I guarantee I will learn something I didn’t know before. 

Thanks for helping me feel better about all these new cookbooks, you enabler, you.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thanks for helping me feel better about all these new cookbooks, you enabler, you.

I am the queen of rationalization. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

;) This is the exact reason why I bought a Kindle. I could see what was happening to the free space in my apartment and had to find an alternative to having physical books.

Edited to add this other find:

Okay, it's not a true bargain price (which would be 99¢ or $1.99) but it's low enough to post.

She's a British author with previous cookbooks to her name. This one seems to have been repackaged/renamed from another of her cookbooks (see the reviews on the Amazon info page for this book for details).

Diana Henry's "Cook Simple: Effortless Cooking Every Day" Kindle Edition $3.99US

For those who might not know Diana Henry’s work this is a different book from her more recent Simple. 

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

For those who might not know Diana Henry’s work this is a different book from her more recent Simple. 

Thank you for the clarification. I was unfamiliar with her previous work.

I mentioned the reworking of one of her other cookbooks into this one. Regarding this, the quote I mentioned from a review on the "Cook Simple" Amazon page says this:

Cook Simple and Pure Simple Cooking are the exact same book except for the measurements and some of the ingredient names.

My guess is the reworking might be aimed at a changing the cookbook for a different market.

Tim Oliver

25C20E08-34EB-4810-9986-68C2F755C46F.thumb.png.4059b345d1e523d1623d9f1f6945c955.pngDE5F9930-13DE-44E2-AF91-52A090F178FD.thumb.png.d310178ea15087f1488e328123e11ee0.png

All too easy to confuse them. I own both and they are very different books

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Re: the SoNo book.....i just read the reviews and some people were complaining that the measurement quantities for the recipes had been cut off on the Kindle version.  Anyone else have a problem with this?  I'd like to get the book but not if I can't actually bake from it.

59 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Re: the SoNo book.....i just read the reviews and some people were complaining that the measurement quantities for the recipes had been cut off on the Kindle version.  Anyone else have a problem with this?  I'd like to get the book but not if I can't actually bake from it.

The Kindle edition appears to have been fixed. I haven’t read the whole thing but I see amounts for the recipes I have looked at. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Sigh. As I was stricken about 9 last night with an urge to bake cookies, which persists this morning, I got the SoNo book.

Anybody got a good molasses cookie recipe? I think that's what I'm jonesing for.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Slim pickings:

"The Southern Food Truck Cookbook: Discover the South's Best Food on Four Wheels" Kindle Edition $.99US

And, again, not what I would say is a real bargain, but I'm posting it because of the author:
Gale Gand's "Chocolate and Vanilla" Kindle Edition $4.99US

For anyone who may be interested, there are two Gale Gand recipes posted on the Amazon info page for this book.

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

This looks like it will be fun.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:48 PM, Toliver said:

Bought it the other day, made the tonnrelli cacio e pepe (substituting pecorino for the cacio per the author's comments) for dinner tonight. Mrs Porthos gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up, as did I.

Thank you, enabler @Toliver.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

On the basis that it has Arkansas, and therefore MIGHT have the Southern Gourmasian, which is the finest food truck known to modern man, it's worth a try at 99 cents.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Now I also have The Southern Food Truck Cookbook.  I just flipped through it and wow!  there are some interesting recipes in there.  First on my list is Chicken and Dumplings (Sort Of).  One small problem though is that it calls eel sauce which I had never heard of before now and can't, through Google, seem to find a substitution for.  The other item is Guilin Chili Sauce but there is a Guilan Style Chili Sauce by LKK..  a trip to my Asian grocery store is called for.  What a fun book this looks go be.  Thanks, enabler @Toliver.  Perfect name for him.:D

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

One small problem though is that it calls eel sauce which I had never heard of before now and can't, through Google, seem to find a substitution for.

You can buy at Asian stores and there are number of recipes on Google to make your own. You need to look for unagi sauce. image.thumb.jpg.f203f4eaab00b67cc39d68cc11c00ae5.jpg

This is one version that I purchased. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes having dismissed it initially I came around to the idea that for $.99 it would be cheap amusement. It is more than that.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Now I also have The Southern Food Truck Cookbook.  I just flipped through it and wow!  there are some interesting recipes in there.  First on my list is Chicken and Dumplings (Sort Of).  One small problem though is that it calls eel sauce which I had never heard of before now and can't, through Google, seem to find a substitution for.  The other item is Guilin Chili Sauce but there is a Guilan Style Chili Sauce by LKK..  a trip to my Asian grocery store is called for.  What a fun book this looks go be.  Thanks, enabler @Toliver.  Perfect name for him.:D

Southern Gourmasian's chicken and dumplings are a thing of beauty. Trust me on this. I will often hunt that truck down when I'm in Little Rock on business just to eat them. Haven't tried their other offerings that have recipes listed.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

You can buy at Asian stores and there are number of recipes on Google to make your own. You need to look for unagi sauce. image.thumb.jpg.f203f4eaab00b67cc39d68cc11c00ae5.jpg

This is one version that I purchased. 

Thank you, I found it and bought it.

• Like 1