• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

12 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Another new discount, one I've been hoping would happen: Luisa Weiss, Classic German Baking ($1.99).

My DW got her degree in German literature (a long time ago in a university far, far way - ok, 30 miles) and thinks this looks like an interesting book. I have already one-clicked it.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

20 minutes ago, GPR Ventures said:

Thanks for this great advice! I have never tried purchasing  cookbooks on amazon before! This sounds great! Thanks so much for sharing!

Oh, heck, honey, if that's all you buy after the enablers on this forum get to you, you'll be better off than I am! (Let's see, a sous vide circulator, an Instant Pot, a Cuisinart steam convection oven...not to mention all the small stuff....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh, heck, honey, if that's all you buy after the enablers on this forum get to you, you'll be better off than I am! (Let's see, a sous vide circulator, an Instant Pot, a Cuisinart steam convection oven...not to mention all the small stuff....)

I understand what you are saying:rolleyes:! I've been duped many times before. I'll look it up before I click "Order Now".

Elizabeth Lajuwomi

http://bit.ly/2xuL59z

1 hour ago, GPR Ventures said:

I understand what you are saying:rolleyes:! I've been duped many times before. I'll look it up before I click "Order Now".

Don't get me wrong. I love everything mentioned above, along with most of the other things I've bought due to this forum. But it's cost me money over the years, it has.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 10/6/2017 at 12:15 AM, Porthos said:

My DW got her degree in German literature (a long time ago in a university far, far way - ok, 30 miles) and thinks this looks like an interesting book. I have already one-clicked it.

If you enjoy Luisa Weiss's writing style, you may also enjoy her memoir , in which she basically finds her way home to Berlin. It's not on sale right now, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Ruth Reichl's My Kitchen Year is $1.99 on Kindle, US Prime. This is one book where it's helpful to have a tablet rather than an e-ink device, as the photographs are lovely.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Two to add:

Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World" Kindle Edition  $2.99US

This author has/had a Food TV show:

Amy Thielen's "The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

edited to add the usual disclaimer that I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

I might have to bite the bullet after all these years and get a prime membership! From what I can see those are definitely prime prices. :o

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Why, O Why do I keep checking in on this topic?  O.o Bittman's Kitchen Matrix was too good to pass up.  For $2.99 (I also am a Prime member) it's a bargain. I think I'll be using it tonight for the shrimp that's currently thawing in my kitchen sink.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just saw this:

Eric Ripert's "Le Bernardin Cookbook: Four-Star Simplicity" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Note that one of the reviews said the book is fish/seafood-centric.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

@Toliver  I swore I was going to stay away from this thread but the Le Bernardin was irresistible.  I waver between staying strong and then saying what the heck, it's only $2 or $3.  I'm more often on the what the heck end of the spectrum.  And enjoying the results!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

@Toliver  I swore I was going to stay away from this thread but the Le Bernardin was irresistible.  I waver between staying strong and then saying what the heck, it's only $2 or $3.  I'm more often on the what the heck end of the spectrum.  And enjoying the results!

Here’s what happens to me. Much of the time when I check out this thread,  I discover that the books are only on sale south of the border or to prime members or the book(s) doesn’t appeal to me at any price.   But now I am primed for a new book and so I end up spending much more money on something I really want but that isn’t on sale.  It is a dangerous world we live in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog