• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

A little something to help ease you into your weekend...I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Mark Bittman's "Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times: Featuring 350 recipes from the author of HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING and THE BEST" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

A little something to help ease you into your weekend...I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Mark Bittman's "Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times: Featuring 350 recipes from the author of HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING and THE BEST" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Yep. Prime and .com.  No such deal on the Canadian site without prime. Can't say what it is with prime.  Thank you for sharing anyway. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This has been on sale for quite some time...it's from last year's series:

"Great British Bake Off - Perfect Cakes & Bakes To Make At Home: Official tie-in to the 2016 series" Kindle Edition $0.99US

Through the "Take a peek inside" feature, I could see the recipes are in grams/liters, which may put off some US readers.

Joanne Chang's "Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US

She's the owner of the Boston bakery Flour. She also has a sequel cookbook called "Flour, too" which has a mix of sweet and savory recipes (though that book is not currently on sale).

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I looked at Joanne Chang's Flour, and remembered having checked it out of our library.  It's a beautiful book, but I've been able to resist it.

However, that deal led to another deal link...and if I hadn't already bought it, Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere for $2.99 (Kindle, Prime Member, YMMV) would have been irresistible.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just went with Jenn Louis Pasta by Hand for $2.99:

http://amzn.com/B00PMUG4B2

Some while ago I had this book home from the library along with every other pasta book I could lay my hands on.  I never cooked from it at the time but it looked interesting.  (Of all the pasta books I ended up buying Batali and Bugialli in hardback.)

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

David Tanis'  A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes and The Heart of the Artichoke each

$2.51 on the.ca site.  No prime involved   

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

I looked at Joanne Chang's Flour, and remembered having checked it out of our library.  It's a beautiful book, but I've been able to resist it.

However, that deal led to another deal link...and if I hadn't already bought it, Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere for $2.99 (Kindle, Prime Member, YMMV) would have been irresistible.

If you enjoy making cookies, her cookie recipes work amazingly well, and have become my go-to recipes for snickerdoodles and PB cookies. (But don't even think of trying them without a scale!)

Now, I'll get out before I'm accused of enabling again.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I don't think those cookies are in this book.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The cookies are in the Joanne Chang book, Flour. I actually have both paper and e of the three older books (got the paper first, then acquired the e when they were crazy cheap).

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

52 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

The cookies are in the Joanne Chang book, Flour. I actually have both paper and e of the three older books (got the paper first, then acquired the e when they were crazy cheap).

Sorry I read it as though you were suggesting that it was the Dorie Greenspan book. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Michael Symon's "5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners" Kindle Edition $2.99US

A lot of Amazon reviewers of this book were shocked (shocked! I tell you) that the recipes actually take longer than 5 minutes to prepare and cook.¬¬

Insert your favorite PT Barnum quote here...;)

I am a US Prime member and your price may vary.

• Haha 3

Tim Oliver

40 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Michael Symon's "5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners" Kindle Edition $2.99US

A lot of Amazon reviewers of this book were shocked (shocked! I tell you) that the recipes actually take longer than 5 minutes to prepare and cook.¬¬

Insert your favorite PT Barnum quote here...;)

Looked at this a few times over the years. Still doesn't do it for me. But thanks for linking  anyway. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Both books have very good reviews:

Alexandra Stafford "Bread Toast Crumbs: Recipes for No-Knead Loaves & Meals to Savor Every Slice" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Me, Myself and Pie - Amish Recipes (The Pinecraft Collection)" Kindle Edition $3.99US

*Note: There was one review that mentioned poor editing in some of the recipes. 

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Both books have very good reviews:

Alexandra Stafford "Bread Toast Crumbs: Recipes for No-Knead Loaves & Meals to Savor Every Slice" Kindle Edition $2.99US

"Me, Myself and Pie - Amish Recipes (The Pinecraft Collection)" Kindle Edition $3.99US

*Note: There was one review that mentioned poor editing in some of the recipes. 

I might have fallen for the bread book at that price but your prime membership and your residency south of the border are reflected in the price that you would have to pay.   I'm not giving up my citizenship or half my pension cheque for a damn bread book.:D

Actually the recipe for her famous peasant bread is readily available all over the Internet and she's even made YouTube videos to show the process.  Just  saying.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

This came in my BoobBub email this morning:

Amy Traverso's "The Apple Lover's Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see might vary.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

This came in my BoobBub email this morning:

Amy Traverso's "The Apple Lover's Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see might vary.

59 varieties.  How could I not?

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This is on sale on Amazon for $1.99: Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. The author has a pretty popular blog, at least among the Instant Pot crowd. (Disclaimer: I copy edited this book.)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JAZ said:

This is on sale on Amazon for $1.99: Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. The author has a pretty popular blog, at least among the Instant Pot crowd. (Disclaimer: I copy edited this book.)

So far I'm quite pleased with the book both the recipes and the copy editing.:) 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

A diet book, I guess:

Michael Pollan's "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Tim Oliver

Is anyone else anxiously awaiting tomorrow, to see what the cheap October deals will be? (AKA if you're still thinking about some of the deals mentioned upthread, be aware that they might go poof at midnight!)

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

On 9/30/2017 at 8:16 AM, MelissaH said:

Is anyone else anxiously awaiting tomorrow, to see what the cheap October deals will be? (AKA if you're still thinking about some of the deals mentioned upthread, be aware that they might go poof at midnight!)

I'm not too thrilled with what I've found so far:

This is her sequel cookbook-

Joanne Chang's "Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories" Kindle Edition $2.99US

From Food TV fame - 

Anne Burrell's "Own Your Kitchen: Recipes to Inspire & Empower" Kindle Edition $1.99US

And an offal/meat-centric cookbook from the chef of Portalnd's Le Pigeon -

Gabriel Rucker's "Le Pigeon: Cooking at the Dirty Bird" Kindle Edition $2.99US

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Wow. Now this is what I'm talking about!

Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours" Kindle Edition $3.99US

Edited to add:

Unbelievable...I just stumbled across another classic...while not a rock-bottom deal, still it's quite good.

Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread" Kindle Edition $4.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver