• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow - some very good books on that list!  

No kiddin'. I bought, oh, I think four of 'em.

Would have bought two or three more, but for the fact I already had them in hardback.

The Cuban Table, Ad Hoc at Home, Bouchon, and New England Soup Factory. I already had Bayless and Pepin. And Vivian Howard in hardback. Contemplated Bourdain, and passed.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Devil rum.  While enjoying my mai tai I went back and ordered Hip Pressure cooking (I'd already read the book but it doesn't hurt to support an eGullet friend), The Cuban Table, Bouchon, and Essential Pepin.

Though I shall never forgive Pepin, his heirs and assigns for Howard Johnson ice cream being served in hot metal cups.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I read the preview of Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat and went back to order it.  But then I reflected my Sardinian dinner tonight was potatoes, pasta, and bread.  I thought better of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, in addition to Kindle (.azw) there's also .epub, .pdf, .mobi, .odf and others.

I have many Kindle, pdf, epub and mobi cookbooks.

This is from Calibre's website—a popular e-book manager:

"Input Formats: AZW, AZW3, AZW4, CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, DOCX, FB2, HTMLZ, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PMLZ, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ, ZIP"

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Very often, but not always, books that are dirt-cheap on Kindle are also dirt-cheap on other ebook platforms as well. If you see something listed here as a Kindle book but you prefer a different platform, check it out on your preferred ebookstore. It may be bargain-basement priced there also.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Some cheap books I found today:

Pizza Camp by Joe Beddia, $3.99

Three books by David Tanis, all $2.99 or less: One Good Dish, Heart of the Artichoke, and A Platter of Figs

Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant that is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine by Tal Ronnen, $2.51

Kokkari: Contemporary Greek Flavors by Erik Cosselmon, $2.99

Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking by Dana Shultz, $1.99

and the one I'm most excited about, Breaking Breads: A New World of Israeli Baking by Uri Scheft, $2.99.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

20 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, in addition to Kindle (.azw) there's also .epub, .pdf, .mobi, .odf and others.

I have many Kindle, pdf, epub and mobi cookbooks.

This is from Calibre's website—a popular e-book manager:

"Input Formats: AZW, AZW3, AZW4, CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, DOCX, FB2, HTMLZ, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PMLZ, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ, ZIP"

Went through to the keeper.

• Confused 1

Thanks, @MelissaH. Two were on my wish list -- Crossroads and Israeli baking. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have to blame graciously thank both  @MelissaH & @Anna N for enabling me.  I'd been going back and forth on the Israeli baking book and seeing it mentioned again and again pushed me over the edge.  

Of course, while I was navigating to that book, I also had to add Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly @ $2.99 to my collection. 

• Like 1

I don't know whether to thank or curse the lot of you.  The Israeli Baking book is my 5th or 6th book acquisition in 3 days. Bargains, indeed.  O.o

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have to blame graciously thank both  @MelissaH & @Anna N for enabling me.  I'd been going back and forth on the Israeli baking book and seeing it mentioned again and again pushed me over the edge.  

Of course, while I was navigating to that book, I also had to add Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly @ $2.99 to my collection. 

The Back Pocket Pasta was  no deal for me (Canada non-prime) but I would be curious to hear what you think of it.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks, @MelissaH. Two were on my wish list -- Crossroads and Israeli baking. 

I am so embarrassed.  Amazon tells me I already own Crossroads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I got this in my BookBub email this morning (and may add more later when I give the Amazon Kindle section a once-over, depending on what I find):

"The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show" Kindle Edition $1.99US

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This  one has been on my wish list for a long time. This is the Kindle edition on the Amazon.ca site.   I am not a prime member. Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking. 

Edited by Anna N
Edited to post its proper title (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This  one has been on my wish list for a long time. This is the Kindle edition on the Amazon.ca site.   I am not a prime member. Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking. 

$1.99 US Prime price. Just looked and bought it. Thanks.

Here.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, kayb said:

$1.99 US Prime price. Just looked and bought it. Thanks.

Here.

Thankfully amazon informed me I bought it for the same $1.99 price last spring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thankfully amazon informed me I bought it for the same $1.99 price last spring.

This time I checked my library before I bought it.  I am convinced there are employees at Amazon who snigger at people like me who keep trying to buy books they already own.  Keeps me up at night. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

....people like me who keep trying to buy books they already own.

I've done that too. :laugh:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Received in my BookBub email this morning...from a Food TV host:

Marcela Valladolid "Fresh Mexico: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor" Kindle Edition $1.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see might vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A couple more:

Soframiz, by Ana Sortun and Maura Kilpatrick ($1.99) has wonderful-looking Middle East-inspired baked goods, and was fun reading.

Pok Pok, by Andy Ricker and JJ Goode ($2.99) was also fun reading, with doable-looking recipes from the eponymous Thai restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY