• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 11/12/2020 at 10:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am flat stony broke at the moment but will probably purchase Chang's Pastry Love in the morning.  One question:  Chang says "buttermilk is always fat-free".   Why would anyone in their right mind buy fat free buttermilk?  It is disgusting.  I make a point of keeping buttermilk in the refrigerator -- but only full-fat buttermilk.

I think what she's trying to say is that *actual* buttermilk — the liquid left behind from making butter — is fat free by definition, since the butter is the fat! As such, baking recipes that call for buttermilk are assuming a low or no fat product, and using a full fat product can change the results.

(I think all the buttermilk we can buy here is 1% — the stuff from Kate's is actually a byproduct of butter production and noticeably better, but it's <1% fat. I do remember seeing "whole buttermilk" back in the Midwest.)

dtremit

dtremit

On 11/12/2020 at 10:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am flat stony broke at the moment but will probably purchase Chang's Pastry Love in the morning.  One question:  Chang says "buttermilk is always fat-free".   Why would anyone in their right mind buy fat free buttermilk?  It is disgusting.  I make a point of keeping buttermilk in the refrigerator -- but only full-fat buttermilk.

I think what she's trying to say is that *actual* buttermilk — the liquid left behind from making butter — is fat free by definition, since the butter is the fat! As such, baking recipes that call for buttermilk are assuming a low or no fat product, and using a full fat product can change the results.

(I think all the buttermilk we can buy here is 1% — the stuff from Kate's is actually a byproduct of butter production and noticeably better, but it's <1% fat.)