• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

An interesting thing is they suggest weekly menus and provide a list of ingredients (pantry and fresh) that are used with each weekly menu; a feature that reviewers seemed to like.

I started taking one cookbook off the shelf per week and picking out the week's recipes from that cookbook, making a list of what I needed, and then going out to buy the stuff.  As the week toddles along I then only have to buy say, fresh fish or whatever I couldn't stock up on in the initial major grocery trip.  One big advantage of this is that my stand up freezer is slowly being emptied which is a good thing seeing as the pork tenderloin (vac packed) that I pulled out of the freezer two days ago had been put there in Nov. 2017.  This week's pick which I am about to go through is Storm the Kettle, a cookbook based on what is grown and eaten in Newfoundland.  I will be doing that this afternoon.

Edited to add: "Storm the Kettle" in Newfoundlandspeak means " to boil water hastily in a kettle for a 'mug up' or a cup of tea.

Mods: If this post is considered off-topic please move or delete.

ElsieD

ElsieD

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

An interesting thing is they suggest weekly menus and provide a list of ingredients (pantry and fresh) that are used with each weekly menu; a feature that reviewers seemed to like.

I started taking one cookbook off the shelf per week and picking out the week's recipes from that cookbook, making a list of what I needed, and then going out to buy the stuff.  As the week toddles along I then only have to buy say, fresh fish or whatever I couldn't stock up on in the initial major grocery trip.  One big advantage of this is that my stand up freezer is slowly being emptied which is a good thing seeing as the pork tenderloin (vac packed) that I pulled out of the freezer two days ago had been put there in Nov. 2017.  This week's pick which I am about to go through is Storm the Kettle, a cookbook based on what is grown and eaten in Newfoundland.  I will be doing that this afternoon.

Mods: If this post is considered off-topic please move or delete.