• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuban bread help needed

OkieFarmer

Need help from the pro's   I finally came up with a good Cuban marinated pork. Real Cuban bread seems to be a problem, My baking skills have been compared to nailing jelly to a tree  I found a recipe using 1 cup AP 1 cup bread flour with lard and yeast,  it does not say how thick or long to make the dough or how much it will rise or should I proof them first?  I need 6" rolls for the sandwiches.   Any tips on what I should or should not do or should I just move on to some other type of bread?

Thanks

Thank you for the informative link cakewalk,  the recipe they post looks like it may be somewhat less completed for me other than as you stated the shaping. I don't think it will matter it's going to be pressed.  Had to Google what strong flour is, from what I understand it's just another term for bread flour.
 Thank you for your time and help.

I've discovered the link to my favorite Cuban bread recipe is broken. Best I recall, it was flour, salt, water, yeast, and a couple of tablespoons of melted shortening. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I got a response from one of my Cuban friends.  This is the authentic recipe and it works.  

She has a DLX mixer so makes a double batch, divides it and puts half in the fridge for baking 2-3 days later.

Cuban bread.

She followed it up with an admonition,  "For God's sake get decent lard, not the stuff in the supermarket, find a Mexican market and buy the stuff they sell in bulk.  It won't keep a long time, even in the fridge so either use it up or freeze it. 

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For basics on bread shaping, here's a nice demo: 

I think 3-4 oz of dough should be enough for a 6" sandwich.  Make the baguette shape but 6".  They will rise up and out when proofing and baking but length won't really change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

For basics on bread shaping, here's a nice demo: 

I think 3-4 oz of dough should be enough for a 6" sandwich.  Make the baguette shape but 6".  They will rise up and out when proofing and baking but length won't really change.

I never thought about youtube thanks pastrygirl I will try using the 3to4oz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OkieFarmer said:

Thanks and thank your friend for me.  Lard is no problem for me I butcher a lot of hogs

I phoned her back to chat, we haven't talked for awhile, ended up talking for 2 hours.

I had read the recipe from the bakery posted by cakewalk and asked her about the palm frond strips.  She said it isn't necessary, she hasn't done it that way for years, she uses a single-edge razor blade and cuts end to end on the top about 1/2 inch deep.

She says she spritzes the tops with water just before putting them into the oven.  Her mom did it that way so she does it that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, OkieFarmer said:

All you are so awesome for all this help, I can't begin to tell you'll how much of a confidence builder you guys are. I was about to give up and just buy something close.

Yep! This is the best place to get culinary help I know. I learn at least something new every day here. Sometimes many things.

Good luck with your Cuban bread, and it would be great if you can find time to report back with your results.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yep! This is the best place to get culinary help I know. I learn at least something new every day here. Sometimes many things.

Good luck with your Cuban bread, and it would be great if you can find time to report back with your results.

Amen

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I got a response from one of my Cuban friends.  This is the authentic recipe and it works.  

She has a DLX mixer so makes a double batch, divides it and puts half in the fridge for baking 2-3 days later.

Cuban bread.

She followed it up with an admonition,  "For God's sake get decent lard, not the stuff in the supermarket, find a Mexican market and buy the stuff they sell in bulk.  It won't keep a long time, even in the fridge so either use it up or freeze it. 

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com