• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian Steak Question

liuzhou

One of my local supermarkets here in China has started importing steaks from a company by the name of JBS Australia. Mr Google tells me that this is Australia's largest meat processing company (but a  subsidiary of JBS USA).

I am not familiar with the brand and, as the steaks are on the expensive side, I'd like to solicit any opinions from our Australian members before I commit to buying any. They look well marbled but a bit on the thin side.

Here is their Cultural Revolution style promotional leaflet

jbs2.thumb.jpg.4d13347cd5de04c4a188ee5ea058e4ff.jpg

and the other side

prime2.thumb.jpg.3fbd0833e0abcef2477ef799f78a8c49.jpg

and a close-up of some of the steaks

prime.thumb.jpg.bbe44ef313de637a2193e11f8594e8a8.jpg

Thanks

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Interesting!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

JBS is Brazilian company, and one of the largest meat processors in the world.  They own Swift and Pilgrim's Pride brands in the United States and Australia.  They are heavily involved in the ongoing Brazilian bribery scandals, and might fairly be said to be a disreputable corporate citizen.  They are very much a mass market industrial producer, and at least in Brazil is not known for high quality products.  The Cultural Revolution propaganda themed advertising is a large turn-off to me as well.  I would give it all a miss.

8 minutes ago, IEATRIO said:

The Cultural Revolution propaganda themed advertising is a large turn-off to me as well.  I would give it all a miss.

To be fair(ish), the Cultural Revolution artwork was produced by the local importer and possibly has no real connection to JBS.  That said, the meat does seem to be highly industrialised (as are the sausages imported by the same local company - as mentioned here).

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I know nothing about the JBS company, but if the marbling on the actual steaks is as good as shown in the flyer picture, I would expect to pay a lot. I have seen marbling like that only in pictures, and if I did see it in real life, probably couldn't afford it. Especially the tenderloin, which I assume is fillet mignon. The ones I see here are not marbled, but they are tender, so some folks really like them, and they command a high price. They don't have enough flavor for me, but I'd be interested in trying in such a well marbled specimin.

By expensive, I mean I can buy ribeyes, T-bone/Porterhouse, NY strip steaks for $7.99 and sometimes $6.99 on sale. They are $12.99 and higher not on sale. Fillet is higher, but since I don't like it, haven't checked the price in years. For the marbling level you showed, I could expect the price to double or much more, judging from the more flush members' accounts of their fantastic meat purchases and meals.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <