• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Johnsonville Sausages

liuzhou

One of my local supermarkets here in China has started importing some of these frozen sausages - two types at the moment: Beddar Cheddar (which sound revolting to me) and Smoked Brats (which sound more promising).

20170822_153157.thumb.jpg.0f16cb07eb4b3a07b134ef54362e5b94.jpg

I am not familiar with this brand at all, but a bit of Googling tells me that Johnsonville is one of the USA's largest sausage manufacturers.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Industrial sausages are not usually great, in my experience. I've also done some searching on here and although there are passing mentions of the brats in some ancient threads, there isn't really much information.

20170822_153202.thumb.jpg.daa5c5e708d937d5fda09d597babd3b7.jpg

These things are damned expensive here, so I'd like some opinions from those who know the products before I part with my hard earned pictures of Chairman Mao, please.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We buy them sometimes.  I wouldn't rave about them, but they are ok.  I never have been able to detect any cheese in the cheese ones, so I'd skip those.  The smoked ones are decent.  Good on a bun with a side of chips (fries :) ).

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I see them advertise ALL THE TIME...  it's crazy how much they advertise...

Yep! O.o

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

One of my local supermarkets here in China has started importing some of these frozen sausages - two types at the moment: Beddar Cheddar (which sound revolting to me) and Smoked Brats (which sound more promising).

I am not familiar with this brand at all, but a bit of Googling tells me that Johnsonville is one of the USA's largest sausage manufacturers.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Industrial sausages are not usually great, in my experience. I've also done some searching on here and although there are passing mentions of the brats in some ancient threads, there isn't really much information.

Johnsonville makes (at least) two kinds of brats. fully cooked (smoked) and uncooked.

Which are yours?

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

Johnsonville makes (at least) two kinds of brats. fully cooked (smoked) and uncooked.

Which are yours?

I haven't bought any yet, but the packaging says "cured, cooked and smoked" and  "fully cooked". See second picture.

The brats that I see most often here are these:

Product Image

They are uncooked.  

1. Thaw product prior to cooking.
  2. Spray a skillet with cooking spray.
  3. Add sausage.
  4. Cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes, turning links often.
  5. Reduce heat to medium-low.
  6. Carefully add ½ cup water to skillet.
  7. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until sausage internal temperature reaches 160°F.

this is a very large producer , 

therefore their sausage is a middle of the road sausage.

its a profitable place to be. That's their goal.  its not going to be distinctive , but it would be really offensive.

if you can get just a couple of the brats , that would be the way to go.

the package looks large , so if you are disappointed at a high price point .....

sausages are pretty much a personal item in terms of taste.

a soft bun w yellow or german grained mustard and chopped raw onions always helps.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

It's definitely expensive and unimpressive.

I miss the old days.

My mom's first job was at a small rural abattoir/butcher shop—they made some GREAT sausage. :)

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The original, as pictured above, is my "pantry staple" brat. I would not part a lot of money for them, but in my area they are the best flavor-versus-cost brats for everyday dinner fare.**

They work very well in this recipe from Michael Symon.

**When I want something special I go to a German Delicatessen near where my FIL lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I get them as @lindagdoes, raw and ready to cook in the refrigerated meat case in the grocers around here. They won't keep long at quality in a freezer, at least not a fridge freezer.

They offer several varieties like hot and mild Italian sausage, beer brats and plain. I haven't tasted the Johnsonville brand in years, because I don't find it as good as either Food Lion's store brand or Smithfield brand. I never buy brats unless they are on sale (about $4.99 or even $3.99 USD per 20 oz. package) and haven't bought them since my husband went to the nursing home. He likes sausages much more than me.

I fear your fully cooked and smoked brats might be little more than fat, glorified hot dogs, so I certainly wouldn't want to shell out a lot of money for what I consider a budget meat product. Unless, of course, you are in the majority that love a hot dog. 

That said, I do like a well cooked hot Italian sausage with sauteed onions and peppers on a good crusty roll occasionally. I put so many onions and peppers I have to chase them around the plate with a fork after they fall out of the sandwich. Fairs and food trucks make a killing off this dish, but they're very economical to serve here at home with my own ingredients.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

I bought some supermarket breakfast sausages because we were having visitors and did not want to use our home made sausages.

Well, have not had non home made sausages in awhile and now I remember why, what a difference.  If we did not make our own, I would go with butcher shop made sausages.  I bet most people have no idea how crapy supermarket sausages are.

• Like 4

I've given up thinking about them, really. If I could have bought one or two, I might have given the brats a go, but I can only buy packs of 10 at an outrageous price, so I passed.

Thanks everyone who put in their time to answer my question.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

There is a chance that these are knocked-off sausages that aren't actually Johnsonville.

So they might actually be good.

I thought the same thing.  The package looks nothing like the Johnsonville Sausages around here.

• Like 3