• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
pastrygirl

GF flours - why so gritty?

I was cooking for a party last night at which a gluten free cake was served for dessert.  I had a few bites and aside from the cake being dry and the frosting very sweet, there was that tell-tale grittiness that GF baked goods seem to have. This particular bakery uses a blend of millet, sorghum, tapioca and potato flours.  I used some Bob's Red Mill GF flour to satisfy a customer request for GF shortbread and found the same grittiness - they use garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, whole grain white sorghum flour, tapioca flour and fava bean flour

Obviously some sacrifices of flavor and texture are made when trying to replicate the magic of gluten, but why can't these flour blends be softer?  Can't they be milled more finely?  Or is it just the way the particular starches or proteins in those other flours are felt on the tongue? 

It's like that chalky cold cooked rice texture, do you know what I mean?  Why can't it be better?  Almost every time I eat something made with substitute flours, it makes me sad and want to fix it.

• Like 2

gfweb   

I have no answers but agree completely

• Like 2

Alex   

For the limited amound of GF baking I've done so far, I've used Namaste Foods "Perfect Flour Blend" in combination with some coconut and almond flours and have never noticed any grittiness. Its ingredients, from most to least, are sweet brown rice flour, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, arrowroot powder, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum.

• Like 1

lindag   

Cooks Illustrated has a 'recipe' for Gluten free flour.  I don't do gluten free but I understand their mixture produces very good results.

It consists of:

white rice flour
  brown rice flour
   potato starch
   tapioca starch

nonfat dry milk powder

If you'd like the exact amounts please PM me and I can give them to you...their site requires a membership.

teonzo   

As far as I know, it depends on what grains are included. Some grains are easier to mill (to get a small granulometry), others are more difficult especially if they are whole. For example whole sorghum and whole millet tend to give a coarse flour. Same for lentils. So it depends on what grains are used in the GF mix.

Teo

• Like 1

Thanks, @teonzo, sounds like it may be the sorghum adding coarseness in both flours I've tasted.  That's what I was wondering, if some grains are just harder to mill to fine, soft flour.

Usually when people order GF desserts I give them truffles, French macaron, or flourless chocolate cake to avoid disappointing flour substitutions. 

RWood   

Authentic Foods makes a GF cake flour and a regular baking blend that I have found work best. I've used them in a few wedding cakes and I've been really happy with how they turned out.

I leave the cake trimmings out for they guys in the kitchen and everyone loved the chocolate cake and had no idea it was GF. 

I don't know much about gluten free baking, but the first ingredient you list, @pastrygirl, is garbanzo bean flour. I buy this at Patel Brother's Indian grocer as besan, chickpea flour. It is very, very finely ground. There is not grittiness at all in it. It's so silky, I would say it is smaller grained than flour I buy at the grocery. The Indians are masters at grinding stuff, I have found. Besan also has some of the binding properties of eggs.

teonzo   
13 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Thanks, @teonzo, sounds like it may be the sorghum adding coarseness in both flours I've tasted.  That's what I was wondering, if some grains are just harder to mill to fine, soft flour.

For sure sorghum, millet and others are harder to mill than wheat. I never found a fine flour made with those grains. But I suppose it would be possible to mill them pretty fine: corn is a PITA to mill, most corn flours are coarse, but you can find fine corn flour.

Probably it's a mix between cutting milling costs and psychological marketing. Grains like millet are much smaller than wheat, this means the bran ratio is much higher. Getting a fine flour when the bran % is much higher takes more work, if you discard the bran you loose a big %, if you mill it fine you spend much more money. Then there is the psychological effect: people who look for alternative flours usually do so because they want a "more natural" diet. A fine milled flour gives the sensation to be less natural (more manipulated) than a coarse one. So the subconscious of those people tends to say "it's coarse so it's better".

Personally I think that coarseness can be a good thing in some baked goods, like shortbreads, pie crusts or cookies. In leavened/aerated goods (cakes and so on) that coarseness is a defect about texture, but with crumbly stuff it can give more crunch and so more satisfaction. That is if you don't mind that "sandy" effect on the tongue. I'm partial to this, since I grew up eating zaeti (cookies typical of Venice, made with corn flour and raisins), most of the time they are made with coarse corn flour, so it can be an acquired taste.

Teo

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RWood said:

Authentic Foods makes a GF cake flour and a regular baking blend that I have found work best. I've used them in a few wedding cakes and I've been really happy with how they turned out.  I leave the cake trimmings out for they guys in the kitchen and everyone loved the chocolate cake and had no idea it was GF. 

I think that is the holy grail, not being able to tell something made with alternative flours is GF.  Maybe I'm a picky pastry chef, but the few things I've had from this bakery always make me want to go and offer consultation.  I think there must be a better way, but if these bakers and their clientele are happy ...   One of my SILs is GF, I'll have to find some of that cake flour so I can make something she can eat for holiday desserts.

5 hours ago, teonzo said:

For sure sorghum, millet and others are harder to mill than wheat. I never found a fine flour made with those grains. But I suppose it would be possible to mill them pretty fine: corn is a PITA to mill, most corn flours are coarse, but you can find fine corn flour.

Probably it's a mix between cutting milling costs and psychological marketing. Grains like millet are much smaller than wheat, this means the bran ratio is much higher. Getting a fine flour when the bran % is much higher takes more work, if you discard the bran you loose a big %, if you mill it fine you spend much more money. Then there is the psychological effect: people who look for alternative flours usually do so because they want a "more natural" diet. A fine milled flour gives the sensation to be less natural (more manipulated) than a coarse one. So the subconscious of those people tends to say "it's coarse so it's better".

Personally I think that coarseness can be a good thing in some baked goods, like shortbreads, pie crusts or cookies. In leavened/aerated goods (cakes and so on) that coarseness is a defect about texture, but with crumbly stuff it can give more crunch and so more satisfaction. That is if you don't mind that "sandy" effect on the tongue. I'm partial to this, since I grew up eating zaeti (cookies typical of Venice, made with corn flour and raisins), most of the time they are made with coarse corn flour, so it can be an acquired taste.

I don't mind a bran muffin, or cornmeal.  I made some banana bread with 1/3 graham flour (relatively coarse WW) yesterday and it was still perfectly soft when baked.  I wonder about the "more natural" theory - you may be correct, after all gritty, un-conched chocolate seems to have found a place in the less-processed foods market.  Thanks for your input!

Cally   

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to gluten free baking, but according to some research I've been doing the cause of this problem is the different starch profiles found in gluten free grains.  They absorb water at different rates and in different amounts than wheat flour. 

So if we have a conventional recipe, we have to change the quantity of water to compensate for the change in flour.  We also have to change the amount of time we give the dough or batter to absorb the water and rehydrate the starches in the GF flour.

I'm still learning about the changes to the amounts of water in recipes.  But, the most successful GF recipes I have tried share a 30 minute rest period for any batter or dough before it's cooked.

RWood   
4 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

23 hours ago, RWood said:

Authentic Foods makes a GF cake flour and a regular baking blend that I have found work best. I've used them in a few wedding cakes and I've been really happy with how they turned out.  I leave the cake trimmings out for they guys in the kitchen and everyone loved the chocolate cake and had no idea it was GF. 

I think that is the holy grail, not being able to tell something made with alternative flours is GF.  Maybe I'm a picky pastry chef, but the few things I've had from this bakery always make me want to go and offer consultation.  I think there must be a better way, but if these bakers and their clientele are happy ...   One of my SILs is GF, I'll have to find some of that cake flour so I can make something she can eat for holiday desserts.

I know what you mean.

I think the blend is easier to find, maybe some supermarkets. I like it because it doesn't require the addition of xanthum gum.  The cake flour does. You can order directly from them, but the shipping is outrageous.  I think I found the cake flour from a site called Vita-cost.  Much better shipping costs. 

Theres a cookbook called Patisserie Gluten Free that's really nice. Authentic Foods is the recommended flour in the book. Fortunately I don't get a lot of GF requests, but I feel OK with cakes I can offer now after trying so many other flours. 

• Like 1

Alex   
52 minutes ago, RWood said:

I know what you mean.

I think the blend is easier to find, maybe some supermarkets. I like it because it doesn't require the addition of xanthum gum.  The cake flour does. You can order directly from them, but the shipping is outrageous.  I think I found the cake flour from a site called Vita-cost.  Much better shipping costs.

Yes, I get my Namaste flour (and other food items and some supplements) from Vitacost. In fact, no more than three minutes ago I placed an order for 16 bags of Lundberg Organic Rice Chips. I'll have to try Authentic Foods' version after my current supply runs out.

@RWood, Thank you again for the recommendation of Steve's GF pastry flour from Authentic Foods.  I got a bag and made a cake and it was not gritty at all!

It was a bit pasty, but that may have been due to all my other substitutions.  I went full gluten-, milk-, and egg-free, using egg replacer and a combo of oil and cocoa butter for fat.  I believe if I had used butter and eggs as usual it would have been even closer to "real" cake.  (With so many substitutions plus winging it, I didn't have high expectations.  I'm sure even vegan could be better with fine tuning.) I don't get many gluten free cake requests, but next time I do I'll use that flour.  Do you think it's better frozen for storage or fine at room temp?

Here's the cake, layered with strawberry jam and cashew/brown sugar/vanilla "cream"

IMG_6848.thumb.JPG.5af1c6f0dfa65c95bc14c0ab50fdb8c8.JPG

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By KootenayCook

I was making onion confit the other day. After slow-cooking the onions in duck fat and duck stock for 14 hr., I wanted to reduce the liquid before finishing the onions off in the oven. So I got out a bowl and a sieve and took the inner container out of the IP to make it easier to pour.  Then I got distracted talking to my wife, not that I'm blaming her. The next thing I noticed was liquid all over the counter: I had put the sieve on the IP and strained the onions into it. (Fortunately, it was cool and unplugged). Now, the IP documentation warns against immersing the IP in liquid. "The housing has electronic components and should never be immerse [sic] in water.Doing so will damage Instant Pot permanently. The housing can only be wiped clean." (http://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/after-purchase/#toggle-id-20).  I was therefore wary about just plugging the IP in again, but didn't want to just throw it away.  So I had to investigate. 

Removing the bottom plate was easy (one screw to undo), and inside it actually looked pretty good.  The control board was clean and there were just a few splashes of grease here and there.  The inner pot has two drainage holes; one is just visible at about 1:30 in this pic and the other is below the control board and not really visible in this pic.  The back of the control board is protected by a plastic base.

But I wanted to check the back of the board, and to do that I had to remove a few screws and connectors:

Most of the connectors have little flanges that hold them in their sockets. Getting them to release required a lot of probing with a very small screw-driver, accompanied by a fair amount of swearing.  Below is the multi-pin connector, which was the hardest to remove.

Once that was off, the control board could be removed without disconnecting any more wires (which had proved recalcitrant, in any case).
      The back of the control board was clean, as was the inside of its plastic base, which I removed next. The back of it was coated in duck fat.

Finally, I removed the plastic ring around the base of the IP.  It housed the socket for one end of the power cord, but this snapped out easily.

All the plastic pieces I had removed got a good wash in hot soapy water.  I cleaned up the rest of the hardware as best I could with paper towels and cotton swabs.

Then I put it all back together (thanking myself for having taken that initial pic).  I replaced the inner pot, added some water and ran the "sauté" function for a couple of minutes until the water started to steam.  Then I turned it off, put on the lid and ran a "soup" function with pressure for 5 min.  There was a bit of smoke that I attributed to residual duck fat (It smelled culinary.), and which only lasted 15 sec. or so.

Huge sigh of relief.  Having gone through all this, I think it was probably not absolutely necessary, but there might have been a bit more smoke and smell.  It was worth doing for the peace of mind, though.

And the onion confit turned out fine.

• By Kasia
      Plum tart with almonds

Starting from the first half of August, in the shops and on stands appear the first domestic plums. In September there are so many of them that I have a problem deciding which kind I should choose. Small and big, round and more ovate, violet, red and yellow. You can eat them fresh or make a lot of preserves (jams, plum stew, stewed fruits, pickles, liqueurs, plum brandy). Our favorite are big and round greengage plums, or slightly firm violet plums.

Plums have a lot of valuable attributes. They regulate digestion and protect us from free radicals. Dried plums are more valuable regarding vitamin and fiber content, but they have five times more calories than fresh fruits.

Plums have quite a lot B vitamins, so for a long time they have been well regarded for having a soothing effect on the nervous system and improving our frame of mind. That's why you simply have to make a plum cake. Either now or when the dreary autumn days arrive. Their benign impact on the nerves could be a good excuse for putting another piece of cake on your plate.

I don't like complicated cookery. In this recipe you will find a lot of ingredients, but even so, preparing this delicious cake is very simple.

Ingredients:
      Dough:
      250g of flour
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      8g of vanilla sugar
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      150ml of 18% cream
      150g of butter
      Filling:
      600g of plums
      1 egg white
      3 tablespoons of minced almonds
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      200g of plum stew
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      Crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      3-4 tablespoons of flour
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      8g of vanilla sugar
      1 egg yolk
      Mix together the dry ingredients for the dough: flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add cream. Mince the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Quickly knead into smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for half an hour.

Heat the oven up to 200C. Cover a baking pan (e.g. for a tart) with the dough, leaving the edges slightly raised around the sides. Whisk the egg white and cover the dough with it. Sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar. Bake for 14 minutes. Take it out of the oven. Don't turn off the oven.

Make the crumble topping when the dough is in the oven. Melt the butter, cool it a bit then add the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolk. Mix it with a fork until you have lumps.

Clean the plums, cut them into halves and remove the stones. Cover the baked base with plum stew, add the plums and sprinkle with cinnamon and the crumble topping. Bake for 20 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Pineapple and coconut – the ideal couple

Today, inspired by the recipes from the book "Zielone koktajle. 365 przepisów" ("Green cocktails. 365 recipes") I prepared a light coconut-pineapple dessert. You may make it without sugar if you have enough sweet fruit. If your pineapple isn't very ripe, add a bit of honey to your dessert.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      fruit mousse
      1 pineapple
      300ml of coconut milk
      1 banana
      150ml of orange juice
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      decoration
      50g of butter
      1 tablespoon of caster sugar
      4 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      4 slices of orange
      fruit

Blend all the ingredients of the fruit mousse. Put it into some glasses and leave in the fridge. Put the desiccated coconut, sugar and butter into a pan. Fry constantly, stirring on a low heat until the butter is melted. Leave to cool down a bit. Put 2-3 tablespoons of it on top of the desserts. Decorate with a slice of orange, fruit and some peppermint leaves before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Smile of the summer – apricot-peach shortcake

Fortunately, the summer is not only about the weather. There is also fresh, sweet-smelling fruit. Today I would like to share with you the recipe for an easy to make weekend cake. It is excellent for afternoon tea or coffee. A little work and a little baking and after that you may serve and eat, and serve and eat again and again ... I remind you that it should be a weekend cake, so if you eat everything at once, you will need to bake another one 

Ingredients:
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      75g of sugar
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon of baking powder

fruit:
      1kg of apricot
      4 peaches
      2 packets of powdered vanilla blancmange
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter onto a baking board. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, add the egg and egg yolk and then knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.
      Wash the apricots, remove the stones and cube them. Put them into a saucepan, add a bit of water and boil until they are soft. Stir the blancmange powder in 150ml of cold water and add it to the apricots. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Wash the peaches, remove the stones and cube them. Add them to the apricots and mix them in.
      Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Smooth a 23-cm cake tin with some butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto the cake tin, even it out and bake for 15-17 minutes. Take out the cake, but don't turn off the oven. Put the fruit mixture onto it and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By TomRahav
      Hi,
      I've tried to make the spherical mussels recipe from the Modernist Cuisine books and it didn't work as I expected, so I would appreciate any advice that may help here.
      The recipe calls for calcium gluconate which I couldn't get hold of, so I replaced it with calcium lactate gluconate that I had at home. I used the same ration (2.5%)
      When I tried to create the spheres in the sodium alginate bath I encountered two main problems;
      1. instead of spheres the mixture just stayed as uneven shape on the surface. The bath was 1Kg. water with 5gr. sodium alginate and I let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours before using it so I think the problem is not here. However, the mussels jus mixture (100gr. mussels jus, 0.5gr. xanthin gum and and 2.5gr. calcium lactate gluconate) had a lot of air bubbles in it. Can that be the issue?
      2. In the book the spheres seem to be completely transparent whereas my mussels jus mixture was pretty white and opaque. Is it because I replaced calcium gluconate with calcium lactate gluconate? Or maybe it's because the jus itself should be clarified before it is used?
      Thanks in advance for your support,
      Tom.