• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxtail Soup

lindag

I had to look up PappyVW

serves you right

smiley-ptdr.gif.d77e7c11541e7863606efef6ca1dca63.gif

I stick to MR.

nobody is going to discover that.

why ?

although its minimal  , take some work.

BTW

TT is $ 4.99 this week.

Sirloin Flap  ( trimmed whole by request )  $ 4.77

no contest.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I stopped in at very small grocery store on my way to town and found OXTAILS in the frozen meat case!!!  I bought some (and, no, they weren't cheap) and I'm on my way to planning the soup I've been wanting.

Every one of the larger stores around me has had none so this was pretty darned exciting.  

• Like 3

On 9/1/2017 at 11:27 PM, gfweb said:

Its like tri-tip. What used to be a nice cheap cut has been discovered. I blame those turds at Bon Appetit and The Food Network.  Annoys the crap out of me.  Same thing happened with Pappy Van Winkel, the food press latched on to it and blew up a nice thing.

I used to by a whole packer brisket for about 20 to 25 bucks. The last one cost me close to 70. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

My amazon fresh order this week included three pounds of oxtails for curry.  And yes they were expensive.  But amazon informed me they could not supply them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou