• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A little about myself

OkieFarmer

Growing up in Oklahoma, My life has always been involved in farming and cattle. I am a retired butcher "custom cutter" having the pleasure to work over the years in a few of the best meat markets, I now work as a supervisor for a construction company.  However, I still remain very active in meat processing, sausage making and smoking meats. I own an electric smoker that I use from time to time but am at heart a hardcore offset stick smoker preferring to cut, season my own wood, 
  Work-related traveling throughout Oklahoma and Texas I can be found 24/7 with a saw handy in my truck.  Matching types of wood curing time to the type of your own quality processed meat being smoked is the ultimate challenge and screw up I do from time to time, Oddly enough I really don't care much about eating it. But feeding smiling friends and family after staying up all night tending a smoker loaded with meat that you have put all your skill and heart into is fuel for the soul.

At 60+ years old Most of my old friends and kids are pretty well convinced I am a nut case.   As my free time is very limited and I am available, I'm always happy to share some insight of my personal years of experience.

Thanks. OkieFarmer 

• Like 6

Welcome! I'm glad you found eGullet. Please continue to post; you're among fellow nut cases here.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Welcome, @OkieFarmer.  As noted above, you're among friends here: plenty of folks who love to eat smoked meats, and often smoke it themselves. My husband and I keep working at smoking meats at home, but we're still working to get the hang of it.

If you have any questions about how or where to post something, or how the forums are supposed to work, please don't hesitate to contact a host (I am one) or ask publicly in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 8/20/2017 at 0:36 PM, OkieFarmer said:

At 60+ years old Most of my old friends and kids are pretty well convinced I am a nut case.

I'm a confirmed nutcase so you're not alone!!! 

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Thank so much for the warm welcome guys, Nice to be home after a few days of checking cattle. Been pretty wet,  just now gearing up for drilling wheat. Have about 300 acres of creek bottom we were not able to get to because of flooding, we were driving through that " 7' tall weeds" Thursday checking for ground moisture it was a scene from Jurassic park wild hogs were bedding in it, alls you could see was the grass moving in front of us heading for the creek as fast as they could run.  Good times lol

Thanks, Chris OKIE STRONG.   Smithy thanks,  I would like to try to post a pic of my favorite Bull or maybe my smoker with one of those hogs that did not run fast enough.  I'm not very computer savvy.  Thanks again for the warm welcome

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OkieFarmer said:

<entertaining paragraph snipped for brevity>

Thanks, Chris OKIE STRONG.   Smithy thanks,  I would like to try to post a pic of my favorite Bull or maybe my smoker with one of those hogs that did not run fast enough.  I'm not very computer savvy.  Thanks again for the warm welcome

OkieFarmer, we're always interested in helping people learn more about the computer stuff, especially if it leads to pictures. :) Give this help article a try sometime, and see if it helps. (If not, send me a message for more help. If I can't help, I'll put you in touch with one of the real pros.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown