Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

JoNorvelleWalker

New Stove Adventures

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, cdh said:

If this is induction, how did the butter get everywhere if it needed to be in a magnetic pan for the heat to get to it?  You have cast iron flat butter dishes?

 

The butter was in a metal pan but my stove is not induction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"Place only dry pans on the surface elements...wet pans and lids may stick to the surface when cool."

 

Well then—I bet they REALLY stick when taters or the like boil over! blink.gif

  • Like 3

~Martin :)

"Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!"

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran into my apartment superintendent at the spirit monger's shop this evening.  (Small town, I know.)  He asked how the new stove was doing?  "Very well," I replied, and restrained the urge to lick his toes.

 

Nice as the new stove is, from my bread experiments, the oven temperature seems a bit lower than the old one.  At least when the old one was working.  The instructions for the new stove suggest you not mess with the factory calibration as the oven is more accurate than oven thermometers.  Nonetheless there is a calibration procedure for the stove and I'm strongly tempted to invest in a digital oven thermometer.

 

Stay tuned.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ran into my apartment superintendent at the spirit monger's shop this evening.  (Small town, I know.)  He asked how the new stove was doing?  "Very well," I replied, and restrained the urge to lick his toes.

 

Nice as the new stove is, from my bread experiments, the oven temperature seems a bit lower than the old one.  At least when the old one was working.  The instructions for the new stove suggest you not mess with the factory calibration as the oven is more accurate than oven thermometers.  Nonetheless there is a calibration procedure for the stove and I'm strongly tempted to invest in a digital oven thermometer.

 

Stay tuned.

 

 

Jo,

 

I have gotten good service out of my mechanical oven thermometer for at least 15 years. It has a little hook at the top for hanging or a little metal foot on the bottom where it will stand on a rack. They seem to run between $5 and $10 now. Just saying it would be cheaper and probably last longer than a digital.

 

Signed,

 

Luddite :)


> ^ . . ^ <

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ran into my apartment superintendent at the spirit monger's shop this evening.  (Small town, I know.)  He asked how the new stove was doing?  "Very well," I replied, and restrained the urge to lick his toes.

 

Nice as the new stove is, from my bread experiments, the oven temperature seems a bit lower than the old one.  At least when the old one was working.  The instructions for the new stove suggest you not mess with the factory calibration as the oven is more accurate than oven thermometers.  Nonetheless there is a calibration procedure for the stove and I'm strongly tempted to invest in a digital oven thermometer.

 

Stay tuned.

 

 

The oven is more accurate than thermometers?

 

I think not.

 

But perhaps the oven's temp cycles will confound a thermometer. One can get around this by putting a ramekin of oil in the oven and taking its temp. It ought to be around the prescribed temp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

 

Jo,

 

I have gotten good service out of my mechanical oven thermometer for at least 15 years. It has a little hook at the top for hanging or a little metal foot on the bottom where it will stand on a rack. They seem to run between $5 and $10 now. Just saying it would be cheaper and probably last longer than a digital.

 

Signed,

 

Luddite :)

 

Indeed I have one!  I have also done the Harvard sugar test in my old oven, which seemed to be right on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gfweb said:

 

The oven is more accurate than thermometers?

 

I think not.

 

But perhaps the oven's temp cycles will confound a thermometer. One can get around this by putting a ramekin of oil in the oven and taking its temp. It ought to be around the prescribed temp

 

This oven fast cycles the heating element, not like my old oven.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

 

They say knowledge is power*, and this could get expensive.  My order from ThermoWorks arrived tonight.  The free air thermocouple probe** is in the oven and I have been monitoring the temperature for a few hours.  They also say a picture is worth a thousand words, but the ThermaQ is a new toy and I haven't yet figured out how to export the graph.  So please bear with me.

 

With the probe positioned in the middle of a rack slightly lower than the oven center and the oven set to 450 deg F. the temperature took most of an hour to stabilize.  As the element cycled on and off the temperature cycled between about 440 and 452.  Better than I expected.

 

Since it was by now far too late to consider baking bread (even for me) I went with the idea of a potato.  I bake potatoes at 450 in a bed of salt.  Of course the temperature dropped when I opened the oven door to place the baking pan with the few pounds of salt.  Eventually the temperature restabilized however this time it was cycling around 475-485.  I do not understand.

 

But now it is time to eat, and what with the Zinfandel and all it may be too late for many insights.

 

 

*Yes, I know, but "knowledge is energy" has not quite the same ring.

 

**Not really free but was on sale.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The smooth top of the stove is so convenient for food prep.  No more peas going down the burner grates.  Plus, butcher a chicken?  No problem, the surface is self sanitizing.

 

The downside, as I just found, compared to my old electric stove there is no convenient spot for placing eggs.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came home tonight to find the oven (with my stockpot in it) had turned off.  I was not amused.  My ThermaQ was logging the temperature to my iPad and I see the oven failed about 4:30 in the afternoon.  As soon as I could I plunged a themapen in the pot.  It read 127 so I'll assume my poor stock is still OK.

 

It is possible there was a momentary power outage, however if the oven randomly shuts off from time to time I shall not be pleased...even less pleased.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I came home tonight to find the oven (with my stockpot in it) had turned off.  I was not amused.  My ThermaQ was logging the temperature to my iPad and I see the oven failed about 4:30 in the afternoon.  As soon as I could I plunged a themapen in the pot.  It read 127 so I'll assume my poor stock is still OK.

 

It is possible there was a momentary power outage, however if the oven randomly shuts off from time to time I shall not be pleased...even less pleased.

 

 

Maybe an induction plate for long cooks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gfweb said:

 

Maybe an induction plate for long cooks?

 

If only I had induction to find out.  To its credit the new oven held temperature for about eighteen hours.  If the problem was due to a power blip the old oven wouldn't have missed a beat.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curiouser and curiouser.  I started the oven up again but when I got up the next afternoon I saw that it had just shut off.  By this time I was pretty sure the oven was doing this to me intentionally.  The manual said there were more settings documented on line, but the menu items shown on line did not all match the menu items on my stove.

 

So I played with the settings a while.  Now the stove seems to stay on like a normal stove.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...