• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

15 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think it might boil down to their superior packaging. You pay for this, of course. Each bag is enclosed in a moisture and air proof pouch, rather than the paper overwraps of practically everything else for bagged tea. Even though I put my tea into glass jars upon opening the box, the Bigelow wrappers seem to preserve freshness and aromas (which is what tea is all about) better. I too, love Bigelow's chamomile but don't have any now.

I've found that others with similar packaging (like Wegmans) don't have the same robust flavor. I think the major difference may be in the sourcing of the teas. The Bigelow chamomile 'tea' may be high-quality Egyptian grown.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

8 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think it might boil down to their superior packaging. You pay for this, of course. Each bag is enclosed in a moisture and air proof pouch, rather than the paper overwraps of practically everything else for bagged tea. Even though I put my tea into glass jars upon opening the box, the Bigelow wrappers seem to preserve freshness and aromas (which is what tea is all about) better. I too, love Bigelow's chamomile but don't have any now.

I've found that others with similar packaging (like Wegmans) don't have the same robust flavor. I think the major difference may be in the sourcing of the teas. The chamomile 'tea' may be high-quality Egyptian grown.