• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jam - pectin

Droo

I've made one of Mme Feber's jam recipes including her pection sources, but has been the case with many of her jams they are way runnier than what you buy in her shop in Niedermorschwihr.

I need to add more pectin. But....

If I add yellow pectin i need to make sure the pH is low enough for it to work - but I don't have a pH meter.

I was then thinking I could use pectin NH which will give me a softer set jam than if I used yellow pectin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how much to add and whether I need to make any modifications for it to work, or on a method to use yellow pectin without it becoming PDF.

There's not much use for a pH meter when making jams, since almost all fruit is acidic and the end result is naturally in the correct pH window.

If you get runny jams then it's probable that you did not reach the gelification point (usually above 105° C), if it's the case then adding pectin won't give you a much firmer jam. So my first suggestion would be to check the final temperature and be sure you reach gelification point. If you reached gelification point and it's still runnier than what you want, then you can cook to a 1° C higher, or you can add pectin, in this case I'd say to go for very few pectin NH (mix the pectin with sugar and add it when you start cooking, aroung 40-50° C).

Teo

Teo