• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yikes! Christopher Kimball, two fingers in every pie (ThermoWorks)

rotuts

Uh, oh.  Will it hector and lecture in CK's awful voice?  "Our sensors tried every second to decide when your pie is done, but now I judge this is the perfect time to withdraw it gently from your oven.  Read more after we nag you across the paywall..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah! I sort of cringed when I read the promotional email! :S

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'll probably buy one after I convince myself that I need a Rachel Ray $20.00 garbage bowl. :B

I have several Thermoworks products that I really do like. Don't need a "celebrity" gadget.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I too am disappointed that Thermoworks has bought into the CK myth.  Frankly, I became disenchanted with CK years ago when he was so dismissive when "reviewing" the Electrolux DLX mixer.  

At the time I had had one for several years and found it worked great with heavy, stiff doughs that had been too much for my KA and in fact had burnt out the motors in TWO, the one I had and its replacement.

It was after I got Peter Reinhart's first cookbook - Brother Juniper's bread book and  was experimenting with the Struan bread.

I ponied up for what was then named the AEG mixer and it handled the Struan dough (and everything else I threw at it) like a champ.  Stiff cookie dough - not a problem, no more struggling to stir by hand.

CK's "review" consisted of one sentence - "Too large and awkward for the home baker."  And my thoughts in response were very unkind.

I unhooked from his "Milk - whatever" site on Facebook or email  because I am not interested in anything he has to say at this point.  

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett