• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member Agreement change: affiliate links

Dave the Cook

The Commercial Posts and Media Solicitation Guidelines section of the Member Agreement has been amended to clarify our policy on affiliate links, e.g., to Amazon (US) merchandise. Previously, the first section read:

• Business owners and other members of the food and beverage industry are welcome in eG Forums discussions. We do not, however, permit the use of eG Forums discussions for advertising.
  • All posts must further culinary discussion. Posting only to point out the existence of your product or business is prohibited.
  • Members may link to their businesses from their signature lines.
  • Members who participate in discussions about businesses with which they’re affiliated, for example if a member owns a restaurant and participates in discussion of that restaurant, must disclose the relevant business affiliations in their signature lines.

We've inserted a new third bullet (in bold, below) and moved the subsequent bullets down the list. Nothing else has changed.

• Business owners and other members of the food and beverage industry are welcome in eG Forums discussions. We do not, however, permit the use of eG Forums discussions for advertising.
  • All posts must further culinary discussion. Posting only to point out the existence of your product or business is prohibited.
  • "Affiliate" or similar links that pay commissions to any entity other than the Society are prohibited. (Members are encouraged to use the Amazon button on the post-editing tool bar to create an eG-"friendly" link to Amazon.com [US only, unfortunately] listings. Please see this post for further guidance. When someone uses a link created in this way, the Society is paid a small commission on any resulting sales.) Staff members who find an Amazon link that is not eG-"friendly" are authorized, at their discretion, to edit the link (and only the link) to make it so, without notice to the poster.
  • Members may link to their businesses from their signature lines.
  • Members who participate in discussions about businesses with which they’re affiliated, for example if a member owns a restaurant and participates in discussion of that restaurant, must disclose the relevant business affiliations in their signature lines.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

So, when buying something—anything—from Amazon is it possible to come here and generate an Amazon link that will benefit eGullet?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

14 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

So, when buying something—anything—from Amazon is it possible to come here and generate an Amazon link that will benefit eGullet?

I know there is a link in this thread that should work as you've described.  It's more than a year old so maybe a manager can confirm that it's still working that way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yes, that's right.  If you click on a link with an Amazon/eGullet format, then the system will track any purchase you make on that trip to their site, and benefit eGullet - even if you buy something other than the linked object.  For instance, if you click on a link for a cookbook recommended on one of the innumerable such topics, then end up buying a skillet, eGullet will get a small commission.

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know there is a link in this thread that should work as you've described.  It's more than a year old so maybe a manager can confirm that it's still working that way.

The formatting is right, so it should still work. (No, I'm not a manager, but I've spent a lot of time looking at this stuff lately.) For information on how to generate an Amazon link like that in a new post, please see this Help article

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!

I can't afford to buy much from Amazon, but I do occasionally grab a product or two.

I don't have, and can't afford a Prime membership—but I have a 'guest' membership on another account.

The primary account is set up to benefit a near-by animal shelter, http://www.tannerspaws.org/

There's no way to add an additional charity or the like. :(

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!