• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Splatter screen/guard recommendation!?

Martin Fisher

A cursory search didn't reveal a topic title exclusively devoted to this.

Do you have a favorite grease splatter screen/guard?

And what do you like about it?

Thanks! :)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This is the one that Won the CI tests.  They like the shorter handle which keeps it balanced on the pan as well as the fine mesh that lets out steam but keeps back the blobs of moisture.

i happen to have the All Clad splatter screen which is fine but expensive, it's best feature is it's handle.

Shown here.

I have to admit that I've not used it much because I don't like to fry spattery foods due to the grease and fumes it leaves in my kitchen.  When the weather's mild I do that stuff on my deck on an induction burner or deep fryer.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

I like that style because it can also go into the oven.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The result of a sudden eye-opening and cuss invoking splatter of flying hot grease to the back of my hand! Ouch!!! O.o LOL

myhand.jpg

• Sad 7

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The result of a sudden eye-opening and cuss invoking splatter of flying hot grease to the back of my hand! Ouch!!! O.o LOL

myhand.jpg

I recently raised a blister on my chin from the same cause.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Which style?

The one which was linked to by @lindag

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry I didn't see your second link. I was referring to a splatter screen that is all metal so that it tolerates the heat of the oven. Some of them have plastic handles and don't do well in the oven. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

If you use a laser point, you will see that all splatter screens allow oil droplets through. 

It all depends on how small the perforations are.

Using very small perforation screens also creates a steaming cooking environment.

dcarch

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcarch said:

If you use a laser point, you will see that all splatter screens allow oil droplets through. 

It all depends on how small the perforations are.

Using very small perforation screens also creates a steaming cooking environment.

dcarch

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the possible steaming effect but I sure do hate those big sudden 'pops' of flying hot grease—and I hate wearing gloves or the like.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

I looked over the specs on the OXO splatter screen on OXO's website.

It's dishwasher safe but no mention of oven temperatures.

Someone answered a question on BB&B's website stating that it's not oven safe and that's a feature that I'd like.

34 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the possible steaming effect but I sure do hate those big sudden 'pops' of flying hot grease—and I hate wearing gloves or the like.

I hate them too. But the splatter screen rarely protects me. Those things wait to ambush me as soon as I lift the screen.:D

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Those things wait to ambush me as soon as I lift the screen.:D

Ugh! :S

This topic and my recent butter explosion got me thinking about spatter screens.  Today I took delivery of the Williams Sonoma custom version of the All-Clad splatter screen:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-stainless-steel-mesh-splatter-screen/

Price is the same.  Difference is in the handle.

• Like 1

I have one that looks like the first link in @lindag's post. There are no markings on it, so I can't tell you the brand, and can't remember where I bought it (likely someplace like Big Lot's), but it was less than $10.00 and goes through the dishwasher with flying colors and no rust. I bought it specifically for fried grits/polenta because that dish seems to splatter like crazy. I recently realized that because of the metal handle, I can also use it as a pizza screen if I ever work up the courage to brave the home invading maintenance morons the landlord sends out to fix my oven and the other myriads of broken stuff in my home. Hmm, this screen could also work over a charcoal fire in the backyard.

I love my splatter screen, and have had it for several years. No, it isn't fool proof, because when you lift it to turn the grits or whatever, some condensed moisture may fall into the pan and cause a grease splatter. What I do is tilt the screen toward me still over the pan allowing any condensation to run off over the side of the pan harmlessly. There is a lip on my stove to keep anything but the most extreme culinary disaster from running down to the floor. The screen is still protecting me from any splatter coming my way in this position. Then I set the screen aside on the SS sink rim after shaking away any remaining condensation, and very quickly extract my grits that have been cooked on the first side to a plate. I turn the grits over on the plate and slip back into the oil from the plate using my left (non-favored) hand to hold the screen as a shield against painful splatters. You sometimes get a few little pops anyway, but it sure beats not having the screen at all in my book.

Also I have found that I need much less oil than I initially thought in order to fry grits/polenta successfully. That also helps with keeping the splatters down.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I'm eyeing the Bellemain 13" Stainless Steel Splatter Screen on Amazon.

I've added it to my birthday wish list.

Amazon search tip:

Jungle-Searches is sometimes helpful in sifting through the clutter on Amazon.

• Like 3

My new splatter screen covers all three of my pans that I had hoped it would.  And fits in the dishwasher.  No live test as yet.  Thinking about the smaller All-Clad screen as well.  But not before I gain experience with this one.

Other than exploding butter bombs chicken cacciatore is my worst offender.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm eyeing the Bellemain 13" Stainless Steel Splatter Screen on Amazon.

I've added it to my birthday wish list.

Amazon search tip:

Jungle-Searches is sometimes helpful in sifting through the clutter on Amazon.

The Bellemain looks like a good deal.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My new splatter screen covers all three of my pans that I had hoped it would.  And fits in the dishwasher.  No live test as yet.  Thinking about the smaller All-Clad screen as well.  But not before I gain experience with this one.

Other than exploding butter bombs chicken cacciatore is my worst offender.

Well, months later, last night I made chicken cacciatore and baptized my All-Clad screen.  Rather than being continuously spattered with hot fat, the kitchen and I were only intermittently spattered with hot fat.  The chicken browned nicely and did not seem steamed, so I'll claim success.

The screen is now in the dishwasher and it remains to be seen how well it cleans up.  Wishing maybe that I'd bought the smaller size.

• Like 3

I have the 13” AC splatter screen which is a great product.  Don't worry, it will come out of the d/w looking like new.

Although I don't use mine much (because I avoid frying inside due to the grease), when I do use it it I does a great job.

• Like 3