• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Cronker

Tips, hints and interesting things

dcarch   
2 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Since I'm the world's most disorganized person and I'm CONSTANTLY misplacing stuff (especially shears/scissors.)

Tip:

Buy three of everything. You increase the chance of finding things 300%.

dcarch:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, dcarch said:

Tip:

Buy three of everything. You increase the chance of finding things 300%.

dcarch:P

Tried that long, long ago!

There are far more than 3 of almost anything around here that's regularly used.

It hasn't helped!!! xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lindag   

I also have a serious issue with kitchen scissors...I have a pair in nearly every kitchen drawer because I use them for so many things these days.  Everything you buy seems to be hermetically sealed and has to be slashed open with a box cutter or shears.

Besides, I have a penchant for kitchen tools of all kinds and have accumulated quite a few over the years.

• Like 1

liuzhou   
Posted (edited)

I think I've mentioned this before somewhere on eG, but I keep a small pair of regular office scissors, bought from my local stationery shop, on a hook above the kitchen counter. They are useful for opening many packets, snipping herbs etc. There is a large pair of kitchen scissors there too, but they don't get half the use the small ones do.

scissors.thumb.jpg.12a46fda0bda895d7c5689de538149f0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

My father bought me this pair many years ago, and they've been great. Not well-designed for hanging from a hook, mind you. 

They've helped me shuck many hundreds of pounds of lobster over the years. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My father bought me this pair many years ago, and they've been great. Not well-designed for hanging from a hook, mind you. 

Beautiful! :)

Lee Valley/Veritas has some great stuff! 

Anna N   
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I also have these and love them but I don't consider them all-purpose kitchen shears by any means.  They are great for poultry and for lobster but are not suited to many tasks  where simple kitchen shears shine. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I also have these and love them but I don't consider them all-purpose kitchen shears by any means.  They are great for poultry and for lobster but are not suited to many tasks  where simple kitchen shears shine. 

Oh, agreed. We have a couple pairs of the conventional ones, purchased from Walmart or Dollarama or some similarly downmarket retailer, which get used for things like opening bags and snipping fresh herbs from the backyard beds. 

• Like 3