• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Quintessential eG Kitchen Tips/Trucs

chefs13

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Okanagancook  

nice clip  thanks

how did they make the  " HB Egg   tube

did  I miss it 

Just google long egg on YouTube and you will find out how. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Just google long egg on YouTube and you will find out how. 

I don't get it.

It takes a lot of work and time to make sliced egg tube. You end up with sliced eggs less attractive than sliced regular hard boiled eggs.

dcarch

49 minutes ago, dcarch said:

I don't get it.

It takes a lot of work and time to make sliced egg tube. You end up with sliced eggs less attractive than sliced regular hard boiled eggs.

dcarch

It's simply a matter of just because you can doesn't mean you should.:raz:

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm amazed anyone's got any fingers left. The knife skills are sorely lacking.

For the unaware *ahem*, in what way?  The only ones I saw that made me wonder was the hot pepper (cutting towards yourself) and the onion (the way she was holding the knife while cooking)

1 hour ago, blbst36 said:

For the unaware *ahem*, in what way?  The only ones I saw that made me wonder was the hot pepper (cutting towards yourself) and the onion (the way she was holding the knife while cooking)

This video, by our own Chad Ward, author of the excellent An Edge in the Kitchenir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=006118848, explains most of it: 

• Like 5

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably been done before, but here goes:

1) the debate about adding oil to pasta water has actually very little to do with coating the pasta.  It's a technique used by cooks to ensure that fast rolling boiling water doesn't overflow the pot.

2) amongst the many tips for cutting onions without crying, the two that I have found work best are making sure that the onion is cold and your knife is well sharp.

3) when making sweet bakery items, the recipe normally calls for you to beat the butter and sugar until creamy.  This takes a lot longer than you may think.  It's at least five minutes in a mixer.

your shares?

10 hours ago, Cronker said:

3) when making sweet bakery items, the recipe normally calls for you to beat the butter and sugar until creamy.  This takes a lot longer than you may think.  It's at least five minutes in a mixer.

Oh yes. And it really makes a difference.

Definitely, and another one I just thought of about baking.

often a recipe calls for the butter to be "softened" but many people think that liquefying it in the microwave is the same.  It's not.

• Like 2

If a recipe instructs you to "whisk eggs together," take them out of the shell first.

Every time you put ketchup on a hot dog, an angel loses his wings.

Green beans actually enjoy being insulted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just cos:

crack an egg on a flat surface, because it's very easy to contaminate an egg with shell or bacteria when you crack an egg on the side of a bowl.

also, crack eggs at room temperature- very much less likely to break the yolks.

22 hours ago, jayt90 said:

Hard boiled eggs not  easy to peel?  Steam them or pressure cook, just a few minutes. Overcooking and the yolks will get the greenish cast. 

Something I learned here...now I always steam, rather than boil, my hard cooked eggs.

This is the time when I pipe up about a previous similar discussion:

"The Quintessential eG Kitchen Tips/Trucs"

:B

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver