• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Cronker

Tips, hints and interesting things

Cronker   

Probably been done before, but here goes:

1) the debate about adding oil to pasta water has actually very little to do with coating the pasta.  It's a technique used by cooks to ensure that fast rolling boiling water doesn't overflow the pot.

2) amongst the many tips for cutting onions without crying, the two that I have found work best are making sure that the onion is cold and your knife is well sharp.

3) when making sweet bakery items, the recipe normally calls for you to beat the butter and sugar until creamy.  This takes a lot longer than you may think.  It's at least five minutes in a mixer.

your shares?

jayt90   

Hard boiled eggs not  easy to peel?  Steam them or pressure cook, just a few minutes. Overcooking and the yolks will get the greenish cast. 

• Like 1

weedy   

Cold onions lose some of their flavour

• Like 1

cakewalk   
10 hours ago, Cronker said:

3) when making sweet bakery items, the recipe normally calls for you to beat the butter and sugar until creamy.  This takes a lot longer than you may think.  It's at least five minutes in a mixer.

Oh yes. And it really makes a difference.

Cronker   

Definitely, and another one I just thought of about baking.

often a recipe calls for the butter to be "softened" but many people think that liquefying it in the microwave is the same.  It's not.

• Like 2

Alex   

If a recipe instructs you to "whisk eggs together," take them out of the shell first.

Every time you put ketchup on a hot dog, an angel loses his wings.

Green beans actually enjoy being insulted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cronker   

Just cos:

crack an egg on a flat surface, because it's very easy to contaminate an egg with shell or bacteria when you crack an egg on the side of a bowl.

also, crack eggs at room temperature- very much less likely to break the yolks.

Shelby   

Celery keeps for a very long time in fridge if you wrap it in tin foil.

• Like 1

lindag   
22 hours ago, jayt90 said:

Hard boiled eggs not  easy to peel?  Steam them or pressure cook, just a few minutes. Overcooking and the yolks will get the greenish cast. 

Something I learned here...now I always steam, rather than boil, my hard cooked eggs.

weedy   
1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Celery keeps for a very long time in fridge if you wrap it in tin foil.

Where do you get tin foil?

I can only find aluminium :ph34r:

• Like 1

Shelby   
1 minute ago, weedy said:

Where do you get tin foil?

I can only find aluminium :ph34r:

>:(  *smacks weedy*

:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, lindag said:

Something I learned here...now I always steam, rather than boil, my hard cooked eggs.

Me too - I use an egg cooker - have been doing since the late 1950s.

Currently I use one from the '60s that holds 8 eggs and last evening I cooked 8 very fresh eggs from my friend who raises "fancy" chickens. He brought the eggs on Sunday, they were laid Saturday.

When the cooker clicked off I plunged the eggs into ice water and cracked them and left them in the ice water for five minutes then the peels just slid off.

I don't have to use a timer, I know exactly how much water to use and the cooker even has a needle in the center to pierce the big ends of the eggs.

I use a lot of boiled eggs, soft or hard and I don't know why everyone doesn't have one of these little appliances that function so well.

• Like 3

I've been steaming rather than boiling eggs for a very long time too.

I can't remember where I picked up that tip—it's been so long. 

8 hours ago, andiesenji said:

...pierce the big ends of the eggs.

I use a blood glucose lancet device. Works like a charm! :)

• Confused 1

On 18/08/2017 at 0:34 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Something I learned in my young married life:  a clove of garlic is not a bulb.

When a recipe calls for a clove, I generally use a bulb. :P

...Unless it's my father's garlic. Then a clove is quite sufficient (often up to 25-30g, or roughly an ounce). 

• Like 2

liuzhou   

I use Sichuan single clove garlic (独蒜), so a bulb and a clove are the same! I'm told that it does sometimes turn up in Asian stores in the west.

single-head-garlic1.jpg

• Like 9

dcarch   

Speaking of garlic, a very insignificant tip:

For right-handed chefs, when you hold the knife with you left hand to smash garlic, try to have the knife edge  face towards you right hand and smash. Because when you use the knife to scoop up the smashed garlic, you will be using the knife facing the otherway. This way you only have one face of the knife getting garlicky.

Reverse the above if your are a lefty.

dcarch

• Like 1

liuzhou   
2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Speaking of garlic, a very insignificant tip:

For right-handed chefs, when you hold the knife with you left hand to smash garlic, try to have the knife edge  face towards you right hand and smash. Because when you use the knife to scoop up the smashed garlic, you will be using the knife facing the otherway. This way you only have one face of the knife getting garlicky.

Reverse the above if your are a lefty.

dcarch

I am right handed and hold the knife in my right hand when I smash garlic. Why change it to the left hand?

And if my knife gets too "garlicky", I wash it.

• Like 1

I never smash garlic with a knife.  The thought makes me cringe.  If I want smashed garlic I use a pestle.

• Like 1

dcarch   
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never smash garlic with a knife.  The thought makes me cringe.  If I want smashed garlic I use a pestle.

Smashing the garlic with the knife is to make it easier to peel the skin off, not to make garlic paste. Although there is a nice technique to make paste with a knife.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I am right handed and hold the knife in my right hand when I smash garlic. Why change it to the left hand?

And if my knife gets too "garlicky", I wash it.

As I said, it's a very insignificant tip. I have many other more complicated tips on youtube. Here is one:

For those who use the left hand to hold the knife and the right hand to smash, it make it easier to use the right hand to pick out the skin. Also there is always some small pieces of garlic which will stick to that side of the knife face as you are smashing.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

I fear smashing garlic with the side of a knife. I use the smooth side of my meat mallet to smash cloves for peeling. Come to think of it, I use it more for that and breaking up frozen veggies which have fused than I use it for actually pounding meat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I fear smashing garlic with the side of a knife.

I drop a frozen chicken on it.  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Since I'm the world's most disorganized person and I'm CONSTANTLY misplacing stuff (especially shears/scissors.)

I'm seriously considering obtaining a good pair of stainless steel kitchen shears and mounting them next to the sink—for easy cleaning—on a suitable stainless steel chain so the suckers can't 'go' anywhere! xD

Something else to add to the birthday and Christmas wish lists.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1